Lower back and climbing?

N_laplaca

Aug 27, 2003
I just bought a new bike that came equipped with a double(53-39) My last bike had a triple. I was a little hesitant about ordering the double. I wasn't using the small ring anymore with the exception of 2 hills. Both are of the same degree of difficulty and pretty much the same distance. Neither were quite negotiable with the 42-25 but I figured the 39-25 would give me the range I needed. And if it didn't my plan was to get 12-27 cassette.

well I have climbed one of the steep hills a couple of times now.It is a bit harder but I am a little faster up them now certainly because I am pushing a larger gear. This is a really fun climb, basically you are going over a mountain, and it's a dead end so you have no choice to turn around and come back. So you get 2 tough climbs and 2 very fast descents(55+mph) on the same ride.

Anyway to get to my point I am now experiencing lower back strain that I never did before. It doesn't feel bad. I mean I feel like its strengthening that area.Has pushing this larger gear up this tough climb exposed weak abdominal muscles? I don't have this strain on any other climbs I do. I have been doing crunches to strengthen my abs but is there anything else I can do besides climbing, climbing, climbing?

Nick

N_laplaca said:
I just bought a new bike that came equipped with a double(53-39) My last bike had a triple. I was a little hesitant about ordering the double. I wasn't using the small ring anymore with the exception of 2 hills. Both are of the same degree of difficulty and pretty much the same distance. Neither were quite negotiable with the 42-25 but I figured the 39-25 would give me the range I needed. And if it didn't my plan was to get 12-27 cassette.

well I have climbed one of the steep hills a couple of times now.It is a bit harder but I am a little faster up them now certainly because I am pushing a larger gear. This is a really fun climb, basically you are going over a mountain, and it's a dead end so you have no choice to turn around and come back. So you get 2 tough climbs and 2 very fast descents(55+mph) on the same ride.

Anyway to get to my point I am now experiencing lower back strain that I never did before. It doesn't feel bad. I mean I feel like its strengthening that area.Has pushing this larger gear up this tough climb exposed weak abdominal muscles? I don't have this strain on any other climbs I do. I have been doing crunches to strengthen my abs but is there anything else I can do besides climbing, climbing, climbing?

Nick
I'd say it's likely you've overdone the hard climbing on your new bike. I've had lower back pain also from the bike. Believe it will take time and effort to get over it.

Suggest you do a good daily stretching routine and some fairly light core strength exercises. You don't want to strain the back more, but promote healing now. I'd also advise to go easy on the climbing until your riding pain free again....more hard climbing now will likely just re-injure the hurt muscles, and keep you in chronic pain.

Do some back extensions after you're done with your crunches. This would balance out your core muscles. :cool: