lower back cramps while racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike P, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Mike P

    Mike P Guest

    Please excuse me if this is not pertinent to this newsgroup.

    When I race, I get lower back cramps on both sides of my lower back. I just did a crit on Saturday,
    and I cramped up after half a lap and sat at 185 - 194 HR the entire race.

    It wasn't pleasent. When I get these cramps and I just cannot get any oxygen.

    Is this a streatching issue or maybe a dehyrdation issue? Would warming up more help? I can't seem
    to locate anything on the net related to this problem.

    Thanks, Mike

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    It's a fitness issue. If you have to keep everything all on for the entire race you're going to
    cramp. When you get fitter you'll find yourself relaxing in the pack a little more with some reserve
    and you'll move around on the bike a little instead of being frozen into your 'max output' body
    position for 30+ minutes.

    "Mike P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Please excuse me if this is not pertinent to this newsgroup.
    >
    > When I race, I get lower back cramps on both sides of my lower back.
    > just did a crit on Saturday, and I cramped up after half a lap and
    sat at
    > 185 - 194 HR the entire race.
    >
    > It wasn't pleasent. When I get these cramps and I just cannot get
    any
    > oxygen.
    >
    > Is this a streatching issue or maybe a dehyrdation issue? Would
    warming up
    > more help? I can't seem to locate anything on the net related to
    this problem.

    > Thanks, Mike

  3. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    your position may need tweaked. bars up a bit, back a bit etc.... also, get your abs in much better
    shape and this tends to go away.

  4. No Pro

    No Pro Guest

    PMS maybe?