Argos said:Court,
You also insulted the chiropractors on this forum as well. Just because you a personal misfortune with one particular chiropractor is no reason to trash the whole profession, however, after being in practice for 20 years, I am used to hearing this sort of bias.
Point well taken. However I saw 4 chiropractors, not 1, over a 3 year period before I gave up on the practice. The problem I have with them wasn't necessarily the practice of chiropractic, but the method they conducted to keep me coming back to their offices. None of them recommended anything other than returning to their offices for more therapy by them.
I'll do my best to be less offensive and try to convey my experiences in a more objective manner. I give you my sincere apologies for insulting you or anyone else. Unfortunately I learned my experience is not uncommon. I suppose in this sensitive area (in more ways than one), many can get insulted, but after a decade of extreme pain, i can't help it in some situations. I was unable to walk for months after the 4th chiropractor. Granted, he was young and tried to act more knowledgeable than he really was. Unfortunately I learned this too late, but I was only 24 myself at the time, subjected to the new world of lower back pain, and just wanted the pain to go away. I know this isn't limited to chiropractic, this is in all medical professions and it creates a very bad image for those in the profession who truly know what they are doing. Apologies again.
However, I don't stretch before getting on the bike. I do Iyengar yoga before getting on the bike. Stretching alone doesn't help me. It's the full-body exercise that frees up my myofascia and warms up every muscle in my body that has gotten me on the bike. Iyengar method focuses on full-body alignment via the exercises, and it's that alignment that allows me to ride. The focus is alignment, and the strength and flexibility come about via the alignment.
Basically I have my own flow that I developed that doesn't make me feel worked out, stretched, etc.. It simply makes me feel "normal", and then I'm ready to go. It's definitely a full-body warmup. It's not just cycling I use yoga for, it's every action I do in life now has a Iyengar knowledge to it that keeps me strong and aligned. For example, since I just woke up, I currently have a dull ache in my lumbar from sleeping, and will not ride my bike. However If i can work out that dullness, which I learned to do via Iyengar yoga, then I will, and then I will get on my bike. Simple as that.
I have not read or heard anything about Iyengar being detrimental, unless someone tried to do it improperly, which is done all the time (and then others blast it, I see the point). If anything, a lot of people don't like Iyengar because it starts very slow, takes a while, and can take years before one becomes an expert. Around here, most people are into Vinyasa or Bikram yoga, which moves much faster and doesn't help my back much do to the rapidness. I remember a Bikram student lambasting the class we just took because it was boring and slow, and never returned. There's a good chance she told others that Iyengar is no good, so yes, I see the point of improperly-directed insult again.
Anyways I'll just write once more that I will try not to blast any professions that in particular didn't work for me. My anger should have been directed at the fraud, not the profession. I came on this forum to learn, not to rip on anyone. I'll kick it as a reader only for a while and shut up since I'm new. I'm sorry.
-Court