Lower Back Pain After Cycling For A Long Time?

adfnio said:
Could it be your posture while riding be the culprit? Or perhaps you could work out the lower back area when you are not riding to strengthen that body part.
My doctor actually prescribed me a few exercise to strengthen my lower back. He was a older Japanese man I found it quite entertaining. We were in his office he was going through the exercises and he asked if I workout on my own. I said yeah, I do casual running and play basketball. He then told me that I looked ok and to just continue what I was doing.

Jcycle said:
I have back problems to begin with. I stretch and change positions often. I use a back brace at times, but other than that I just sort of cope with it. I have heard it gets better with time for some people if they build up strength in the back with the right exercises.
On my initial visit to the doctors office I saw a general practitioner and he gave me a brace also. That thing hurt so much. I found that laying down on my back with pillow under my knees helped out the most. it straightened out my lower back.

Reactions: Connie858
joshposh said:
My doctor actually prescribed me a few exercise to strengthen my lower back. He was a older Japanese man I found it quite entertaining. We were in his office he was going through the exercises and he asked if I workout on my own. I said yeah, I do casual running and play basketball. He then told me that I looked ok and to just continue what I was doing.
These older doctors are pretty cool. They can have these stretches and exercises that they are told to give you, but if you look ok, then it's all good.

Before you do anything else. Make sure that your seat is mounted right. It should be in line with your frame. You know the front of the seat should point Straight down the frame. And should be Level. This is not an absolute you may be more comfortable with a little tilt. When you sit on it with some one holding it up right. With the peddle in the six o clock position. That's all the way down your knee should be slightly bent.To double check put your heel on the peddle now your leg should be fully extended. That takes care of the height now to adjust the seat forward or backward. Siting on it with the peddles in the neutral position Your knees should be right over the peddle spindle. This may be all you need to do. Check with the coach or team leader they should be able to help you.

Normally, I would not answer a question like this as my expertise is generally in medication but I had severe sciatica while I was pregnant with my 3rd child (after having had twins) and I had sciatica so bad that I was finding it difficult to walk. I tried massage therapy and physical therapy and could not take medication
I went to the chiropractor and the pain was instantly relieved. My hips and lower back were out of alignment because I had carried twins the year before. On occasion a Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) can also work but they usually only work on one joint at a time - the chiropractor will do your whole back which works faster. Anyone who does not believe in chiropractors will tell you they are quacks - don't listen.
I don't necessarily believe that chiropractors can cure things like diabetes but they can definitely relieve some types of back pain especially if a pinched nerve is involved which is usually the cause of sciatica.

Yoga to stretch out the ligaments on muscles in your lower back. Then gradually build those muscles up by doing weighted crunches, bent over forward row's with light weight and generally any other exercises you can find to strengthen your lower back and core.

Other than that, think about adjusting your seat post to a new level to lessen the 'pull' on your back when you lean over.

If your bike is set up for your height correctly and it still hurts, you may not have a choice other than to try and heal or rest. Either that or you'll need to use chemical means to alleviate the pain.

You bend forward while riding your bike. Lying constantly in that posture can harm your lower back or lumbar region. You got to take occasional breaks and keep stretching. You should also do back strengthening exercises while at home or at your gym.Professional cyclists spend a lot of time working on their overall fitness and strengthening their core muscles.

Make sure it does not become persistent. Be cycling for shorter distances and move any differences. Alternatively you get advice from the doctor to make sure you do not have a permanent internal injury. Do not go cycling if the pain persists.