Lower back pain

crees22

Dec 15, 2003
Hiya,

Just interested to know if any of you suffer with back problems due to cycling, Ive been told by some people that cycling can be good for your back while others state thats it aggrivates back trouble. Ive allways suffered with slight back problems since a young age and was allways told that I dont walk up straight, but in recent years have been making a effort to better by stance. I also at work carry lots of files around as a courier which has also contributed to the occasional strain. Its the pains from cycling that is worrying me though. I love my cycling and have it in mind to join a club and start competing in road racing in the near future, but cant overlook the problems caused to my back recently since ive up'd my training. This week it has been worse than ever, its a pain coming from right at the base of my back almost going into my right upper leg, can you get trapped nerves as that is sort of what it feels like, or is that what 'back ache' is?? Im worried as I do not want to give up cycling as its been a big part of my life of late, if a doctor was to tell me to stop i dunno if i could. Do you people suffer with back pain, and if so how do you control it and does it ever dictate whether you ride or not? Ive got a feeling that the hill climbing i have been focusing on has contributed more than normal, and i have been using the lower bar to grip on my racing bike for a more aerodynamic profile, obviously the extra bend on the back with using the lower bars cant help matters but feels good at the time.

P.S. has anyone got a spare spine laying around anywhere, has to be in good condition?

Thanx.. Mr Chris

i suffer from a lower back ache and i can directly attribute it to cycling. It doesnt hurt when i am on the bike but later on when i am at work and bend to lift something...my back is stiff and sore..

but i love my biking too much and i have tried every concievable seat and handlebar adjustment...no joy, so i just live with it.

MountainPro said:
i suffer from a lower back ache and i can directly attribute it to cycling. It doesnt hurt when i am on the bike but later on when i am at work and bend to lift something...my back is stiff and sore..

but i love my biking too much and i have tried every concievable seat and handlebar adjustment...no joy, so i just live with it.

Agreed, My back never feels happier than when im on the bike, its the day/days after that i notice the trouble. Maybe it should been known as the 'Cyclists back condition'

crees22 said:
Hiya,

Just interested to know if any of you suffer with back problems due to cycling, Ive been told by some people that cycling can be good for your back while others state thats it aggrivates back trouble. Ive allways suffered with slight back problems since a young age and was allways told that I dont walk up straight, but in recent years have been making a effort to better by stance. I also at work carry lots of files around as a courier which has also contributed to the occasional strain. Its the pains from cycling that is worrying me though. I love my cycling and have it in mind to join a club and start competing in road racing in the near future, but cant overlook the problems caused to my back recently since ive up'd my training. This week it has been worse than ever, its a pain coming from right at the base of my back almost going into my right upper leg, can you get trapped nerves as that is sort of what it feels like, or is that what 'back ache' is?? Im worried as I do not want to give up cycling as its been a big part of my life of late, if a doctor was to tell me to stop i dunno if i could. Do you people suffer with back pain, and if so how do you control it and does it ever dictate whether you ride or not? Ive got a feeling that the hill climbing i have been focusing on has contributed more than normal, and i have been using the lower bar to grip on my racing bike for a more aerodynamic profile, obviously the extra bend on the back with using the lower bars cant help matters but feels good at the time.

P.S. has anyone got a spare spine laying around anywhere, has to be in good condition?

Thanx.. Mr Chris
Chris,

It sounds to me like you have either a ruptured or bulging disc in your lumbar region. I would get it checked out. That pain or numbness in your legs is probably an irritated sciatic nerve. Even in a worst case scenario, you probably wouldn't have to give up cycling. I had surgery 7 years ago for a ruptured disc and I can ride just fine.