LOWER BACK PAIN

Argos said:
Court,

You also insulted the chiropractors on this forum as well. Just because you a personal misfortune with one particular chiropractor is no reason to trash the whole profession, however, after being in practice for 20 years, I am used to hearing this sort of bias. There are many different types of chiropractors and techniques. In my practice we specialize in in sports and disc injuries which the original poster just happens to be suffering from. The clinic I own also employs physical therapists and medical doctors as well. We all work as a team to tackle problems that couldn't be solved elsewhere. Besides treating discs for 20 years I also suffer from multiple disc herniations ( mostly gymnastics and rugby), and had surgery a year and a half ago. So I know and can relate what it is like from the patient's point of view as well.
Some of the other information given by Court is proven medically wrong and detrimental. Specifically with respect to stretching and yoga prior to exercise. The recent research has shown over and over again that stretching just prior to strenous exercises causes MORE injuries and decreases overall power. Warming up is totally different than stretching though. Warming up on your bike is paramount to performing safely and powerfully. I happen to be a big fan of yoga and proper stretching (minus the head stands), and I recommend it all the time but only AFTER exercise or on a rest day.
With respect to the original poster. There is almost 100% certainty that you are suffering from a disc injury of one or two natures, or both. Either a disc bulge or disc herniations. Discs don't "slip". Contrary to common perception disc injuries are mode common in younger 25-40 people versus older. One of the main indicators pointing to disc is the radiating pain in your leg. If it was just isolated to your lower back it might be a score of other possibilities, however, radiation into the leg in a young cyclist strongly suggest disc.
You should.
A. Stop riding
B. Ice
C. Possibly use some OTC antiimflamatory meds such as ibuprofen .

If it does not resolve in two weeks make an appointment to see a doctor ( MD,chiropractor, osteopath) who specializes in disc injuries where you will most likely be prescribed a MRI to give an accurate diagnosis. If that happens, and you indeed have one or multiple herniations then that is another discussion. The best current treatment for most herniations is non surgical decompression coupled with physical therapy.

Hang in there and good luck:)

IMHO, chiropractors are scum sucking, money grabbing quacks that only added to my problems whilst emptying my wallet.

Background.

As a racing cyclist who was halfway descent back in the days when men were men and sheep were scared... I was blessed with a really good coach and an excellent physio. You had problems caused by over use, over training, minor crashes etc, it was nearly always one visit and you were pretty much ready to get back on the bike, in the same way the Pro Tour riders are treated. If she couldnt resolve the issue then she'd know someone that could.

I had issues with my psoas - largely due to an extremely low position on the bike and lots of sitting during the day. As you know, when the psoas tightens, backpain as well as other issues ensue.

Sadly, when i left England to move to the US, this little 'support network' was no longer available and i was pretty much at the mercy of chiropracters and doctors whonwould refer me to chiropracters.

What happened over the course of almost two years cemented my hatred and disgust of chiropracters. I knew what was wrong - after all i had previously raced for 10 years and needed a psoas 'release' every couple on months. No chiropracter that i visited would accept that as the root cause of my pain. Apparently, surgury was the option... But from visiting roughly a dozen different chiropracters in ~18 months, all the recommended surguries were to different parts of the neck, back, shoulders... One even recommended a procedure to correct a thigh length discrepancy.

During that period i also under went many needless back and neck 'crackings' that sometimes (with the neck) would cause pain and discomfort.

Finally, i found a place that would perform thenpsoas fix that i needed (ironically the place is called Psoas Bodyworks). Two visits was all it took and the initial diagnosismand main part of the treatment took less than 10 minutes... The rest was just working on easing the vice like tension in my back and adjoining muscles.

You might think that i was being a little strong with my initial condmnation of chiropracters... But you have no idea about how much i despise these snake oil remedists. They're up there in the list of theives along with people who steal from the elderly....

I'm no longer asked to book '5 visits and get one free' because i am once again in the hands of people who have a clue. One visit... One hour and all is right with the world again. They even tell me how to prolong the time between treatments so i dont have to make the 110 mile round trip... Talk about service.

Question, how many times should you stretch a day?

Wake up, stretch?

Go for ride in day Stretch before

Stretch after

Stretch before bed?

Should you stretch 4 times a day?

Sam123 said:
Question, how many times should you stretch a day?

Wake up, stretch?

Go for ride in day Stretch before

Stretch after

Stretch before bed?

Should you stretch 4 times a day?

I normally stretch twice a day - not including gently stretches pre ride and some Psoas stretches next to a sturdy bench ar work after sitting for a long time...

Well you really can not say what that is. The position in which you ride. An organ in your body that is not functioning properly. Something serious could be wrong. You really want to stop biking and see if it stops. Some stretching and heat on the area to see if it relaxes. You might have to change the position of your seat. Raise the handle bars a bit. It could be any number of things. Process of ellimination will tell you. How you are holding yourself on the bike. You could be dong something like putting yourself in an awkward position. Some exercises to strengthen your back muscles. If you have extra weight in the stomach area this can cause all sorts of back pain upper and lower. Many factors to take a look at.