LOWER BACK PAIN

Sam123 said:
Sorry alienator I have problems trying to get the pictures onto the computer from the phone, cant find the wire so will have to do it another way.

So, you're currently riding the Claud Butler bike shown in one of your other posts? If so, the only way to raise your handlebars would be to get a stem with more rise. You could also try getting a shorter stem.

alienator said:
I did.

How much shorter is the new stem? Did the lower back pain go away?

No i still got pain the stem you see on that picture is 120mm the one i have is 100mm and still i get pain. Ive always had the pain when riding. In that topic i still don't understand why i need to get a fit first then buy the new frame, once i get the frame I'd need another fit.

Sam123 said:
No i still got pain the stem you see on that picture is 120mm the one i have is 100mm and still i get pain. Ive always had the pain when riding. In that topic i still don't understand why i need to get a fit first then buy the new frame, once i get the frame I'd need another fit.

No, that's not exactly how a fit works. Once a proper fit is done, you'll have important dimension that define that fit: how far the saddle is recessed behind the bottom bracket; the height of your saddle above the bottom bracket; the distance from the saddle to your handlebars; the drop (height distance) from your saddle to your handlebars. With those dimensions, you then can get a fit on a range of bicycles by varying stem sizes, handlebar height, saddle setback and height to meet those dimensions. You can also know which frames/bikes you really can't make work.

Since you've got an ongoing back issue, forgoing a fit, means you just might carry your back issue over to the new bike. That won't do you any good at all.

alienator said:
No, that's not exactly how a fit works. Once a proper fit is done, you'll have important dimension that define that fit: how far the saddle is recessed behind the bottom bracket; the height of your saddle above the bottom bracket; the distance from the saddle to your handlebars; the drop (height distance) from your saddle to your handlebars. With those dimensions, you then can get a fit on a range of bicycles by varying stem sizes, handlebar height, saddle setback and height to meet those dimensions. You can also know which frames/bikes you really can't make work.

Since you've got an ongoing back issue, forgoing a fit, means you just might carry your back issue over to the new bike. That won't do you any good at all.

Since you saying that im having second thoughts about a new frame.

So if my Claud Butler Frame is to small/big can they adjust it with a stem and the forward/backwards of the seat to my body size? If i get the fit and it does go like that i may just buy Carbon Handlebars and Seat post and a more comfortable seat. And maybe another Stem if i need one. I'd be saving about £400 then.

EDIT - and if i do have something wrong with my back i'll get it sorted after the fit if i still get pain after the fit.

hard sessions with sprints?
Do you always ride as hard as you can?
How many months or years have you been riding or training?
Have you just come back from some time out?

A little bit of history may reveal the problem

Hi there,

This is actually my first post. I'm returning to road cycling myself after 15 years off from a back injury, with cycling being the last activity I love that still gives me an issue in my back. I was seeking a good forum to share with other riders and discovered this forum and this thread. Hello.

It sounds like you may have a disc problem, which is something you should be very cautious and careful of if you do.

I have to do yoga for an hour a day to keep the back in a strong and limber state so my spine doesn't kink down there in the lumbar area. When it's bent and I am in an unnatural position atop a road bike, the rattling of the bumps in the road are like small bombs if I am not careful.

If you have insurance that allows it, I recommend you get an MRI if you continue to have pain when you ride. If it is not caught, it could end up being a daily problem and not just occurring on the bike.

Before I ride, I do a session of yoga exercises to get my back warmed up and limber. If I don't have an hour to exercise before, I simply cannot ride. Otherwise I'll be laying on ice packs for the next 3 days.

When I ride, I keep my seat tilted forward a bit, which forces my pelvis into a more accommodating state for the spine to rest. I may be losing some energy in this way, but I'll lose a lot more energy if my back goes out. I also stay conscious of my back's posture at all times. The moment I forget, my back will go out. i have also learned the importance of arm strength in cycling. basically I learned that all muscles need to be as strong as the leg muscles to really stay balanced and injury free when on the bike.

Just because the pain is in your back doesn't mean that is the source of the problem. In my case, My back went bad due to my weak hamstrings and knees--a result from sitting in office chairs too long in my life. The myofascial tissue that wraps all your muscles and organs together acts like a rubber band and can start injuring an area near it, making you think that's the area that really needs the work. Basically, you get 2 injuries for the price of one.

Look into Iyengar Yoga & Pilates classes in your area. They are both recuperative forms of exercise that are becoming widely accepted by people in physical therapy and medicine.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Court

Ok, me on the bike before the fit.

saddle too low

too far back on saddle

long extension on arms

3353vy1.jpg

Me after the fit.

saddle raised and now further forward

handlebars dropped

bars now closer

less stretch in the arms

relaxed neck

2zide7d.png

Will tell you how i feel after tonights ride.

This is the setup

A 81.0 mm Saddle Height (Seat top to C. BB.) B 9.8 mm Tip Seat to C.Bottom Bracket (B) C 11.5 mm Seat to stem Height Relationship (C) C+ 14.0 mm Seat to Hood Relationship (C) D 56.0 mm Tip of Seat to Centre of Handlebar (D) D+ 69.0 mm Tip of Seat to Back of Hoods (D) E 172.5 mm Crank Length (E)

Came back from a 40 mile ride and i got worse back pain within 8.5 miles... Had alot more power in legs more comfy, but just got worse lower back pain?!?!

I think it maybe the seat being to high? Its the right height that its meant to be. But i just cant have it the height im meant to have. So i should lower it really? And continue using the Movelat Gel on my back.

Sam123 said:
Came back from a 40 mile ride and i got worse back pain within 8.5 miles... Had alot more power in legs more comfy, but just got worse lower back pain?!?!

It appears my explanation back in Oct 09 was correct.

To lessen your pain try to have a massage you know its a very good way for your muscles. Thai massage is a very good massage for you. Try it and see the result.

Sam123 said:
What explanation i can't remember.
n crowley was refering to his odd pedalling style that supposedly eliminates all stress from your lower back muscles. Since you got a fitting and it did not help, I really think that it is time to see a "real" doctor or a trainer about your back problem, and maybe he can shed some light on your other issue too. There is only so much that those of us without the proper training can do over the internet.

Ignore the advise from tefranz. Thia massage is a form of erotic massage and would probably just make your back problems worse.

kdelong said:
n crowley was refering to his odd pedalling style that supposedly eliminates all stress from your lower back muscles. Since you got a fitting and it did not help, I really think that it is time to see a "real" doctor or a trainer about your back problem, and maybe he can shed some light on your other issue too. There is only so much that those of us without the proper training can do over the internet.

Ignore the advise from tefranz. Thia massage is a form of erotic massage and would probably just make your back problems worse.

Now, how can erotic massage make things worse? I always feel better when I think about Gina Torres laying her hands on my bits.

Gina%20Torres%20as%20Storm2.jpg

I second the doctor suggestion.

What sort of pedaling do you do? Do you spin easier gears, i.e. have a faster pedaling cadence, or do you push big gears, mash as it were, and pedal at a slow cadence? Over exertion and straining to push bigger gears too hard can cause lower back pain. Also, do you do any stretching?

Sam123 said:
I think it maybe the seat being to high? Its the right height that its meant to be. But i just cant have it the height im meant to have. So i should lower it really? And continue using the Movelat Gel on my back.

I'd stay the Hell away from the bike shop that gave you that fitting. The saddle looks too high and too far forward and that stem puts the bars so close that it's a wonder that you don't smash your knees every pedal rev...

The position in the first pic doesn't look too bad.

I'd visit a good physiotherapist to assess your back problem. It may be that you have a back issue or a very tight Psoas. Do a google search for Psoas stretches and slowly do them. I suffered pretty badly from a tight Psoas and it manifests itself as acute lower back pain. Given that this hip flexor is attached to the lower spine it's no surprise ;)

Good luck.

It's impossible to say from the pictures whether anything is wrong with your fit. While you're waiting to see a doc, you should go back to the LBS that did the fit and tell them about your continuing pain. Bike fits often start with a set of assumptions about what makes for a good fit for most people. As you might guess, those assumptions may not work for everyone. It's not unusual that a bike fit needs some adjustments made to it. Consider bike fit to be an excellent starting point. The LBS that did the fit should be willing to work with you until the fit is right, assuming that you don't have a physiological problem that's causing the pain in your back and the odd feeling around your grollies and gouch.

FWIW, I think the dimensions you gave should be centimeters, not millimeters. How long is your stem? An 11.5 cm saddle to handlebar drop is a lot for someone new to cycling. How did the LBS determine your fore/aft saddle position? Fore/aft saddle position is what places your leg/knee in the proper spot over the BB (proper for you), so when the LBS positioned your saddle, it should have been done to get your leg/knee in the right position instead of to shorten the reach to the handlebars. Did they use saddle position to adjust your reach to the bars?

Also, why did you wear a black ski mask during the fit? Were the shop people and customers repulsed by your appearance? Are you wanted by authorities?