Lower Back Pain

bflobiker

Jul 18, 2010
Hi, Brian from Buffalo, NY, over 40. Right to the point. Put 1000 miles on bike last summer, most Iv'e ever done. In February 2010 developed lower back pain, based on x-rays, Chiro/PT Doctor said muscular issue. Requires a lot of stretching. Pain / stiffness keeps returning no matter what type of exercising I do. Anyone have ideas. Very frustrating! Thougt maybe I rode too many miles.

1. Strengthen your core/lower back.
  2. Have a bike fit done to check your position on your bike. Poor position can cause low back pain.
  3. Spin easier gears. Mashing--pushing harder gears at a lower cadence--can cause low back pain.
  4. Keep you doctor and witch doc.....I mean chiropractor.....in the loop.
Any one or all of these are places to start.

Thanks Alienator, I think it might be Sacroiliac or Sciatica issues. Forgot to mention that I wear heavy gun belt 40+ hours per week. This is very frustrating.

alienator said:
  1. Strengthen your core/lower back.
  2. Have a bike fit done to check your position on your bike. Poor position can cause low back pain.
  3. Spin easier gears. Mashing--pushing harder gears at a lower cadence--can cause low back pain.
  4. Keep you doctor and witch doc.....I mean chiropractor.....in the loop.
Any one or all of these are places to start.

Try doing sit ups to strenthen the lower back.
I used to suffer from back pain whilst cycling, but after starting to do regular sit ups do not have any more back pain.
Also make sure that your bike is the correct size and that you do not over stretch.

bflobiker, Do everything you see in the video below, progress, stay dedicated & I promise you will be on the road to recovery in no time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJSbSHutTLE]YouTube - Basic Ab Isometric Program[/ame]

And give sit-ups/crunches the cold shoulder. The core should be worked in an isometric fashion. Take my word for it.

bflobiker said:
Hi, Brian from Buffalo, NY, over 40. Right to the point. Put 1000 miles on bike last summer, most Iv'e ever done. In February 2010 developed lower back pain, based on x-rays, Chiro/PT Doctor said muscular issue. Requires a lot of stretching. Pain / stiffness keeps returning no matter what type of exercising I do. Anyone have ideas. Very frustrating! Thougt maybe I rode too many miles.

Core strength needs work. Do some PLank work.
I also found that my pack made it worse (I had a stiff pack with poor vents) get a good quality camel back so the sweat does not collate then give you back ache when you get cold.
Finally as soon as you finish your ride do 5 mons of stretching.

I had awfuk back pain util a physio told me the above.. now not even a hint of back pain - some days I spend 5hrs in the saddle with no issues.

Chapeau! said:
bflobiker, Do everything you see in the video below, progress, stay dedicated & I promise you will be on the road to recovery in no time.The core should be worked in an isometric fashion. Take my word for it.

Your promise and your word based on what: claims on the internet? Internet promises? Your internet word? The fact is, you can't make promises like that because you're not the OP's doc or physical therapist. You've never examined the OP.