Lower gearing for Shimano Sora

Hello,
I have a Raleigh USA with Shimano Sora derailleurs and am looking for
lower gearing. Currently the cassette has 8 sprockets with 27 teeth on
the largest. The chainring has 31 on the smallest. My read of the specs
are that the Sora cannot go any larger than 27T. Would it be easier to
make the cassette larger or the chainring smaller?

thanks in advance,
Eric

[email protected] wrote in news:1148322234.519886.104030
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
> I have a Raleigh USA with Shimano Sora derailleurs and am looking for
> lower gearing. Currently the cassette has 8 sprockets with 27 teeth on
> the largest. The chainring has 31 on the smallest. My read of the specs
> are that the Sora cannot go any larger than 27T. Would it be easier to
> make the cassette larger or the chainring smaller?

I'm guessing you have a standard 52-42-30 triple crankset. You can usually
replace the 30 with a 28 or 26 for noticably lower gearing, but you do have
to be very careful about front derailleur adjustment. You can also get a
bigger cassette, but if you go past 30T, you will need a mountain bike rear
derailleur. www.sheldonbrown.com sells custom cassettes that you can use
(with more useful gearing than standard mountain bike cassettes).

Why not trade the Sora for one of the Deores? Just about all of the will
handle cogs as big as 34 teeth.

I have a 7 cog 12-34 on my tourer with a 26-44-48 on the front and it
shifts fine. I can't use the two smallest cogs with the 26 because
there's not enough chain wrap,, but they're redundant ratios anyways.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http "colon-slash-slash" geocities "dot" com "slash" czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net