Lower gears with Shimano 105 Triple? How??

HardwareLust

Guest
My gf is not happy with her Shimano 105 Triple road bike. She says that she
would like some gears "like on her mountain bike" (Cannondale Jekyll with
LX/XT mix).

I believe the largest rear cassette that I can use with the Shimano 105
derailleur is 12-27 (which she has now), leaving her with a 'granny' gear of
30-27 using the small chainring up front.

So, my question is, how can I install a larger cassette, like a mountain
cassette? Can I put an LX or XT derailleur on the back and an LX/XT
cassette? Will that work well with the 105 STI levers? Or, can I get a
smaller chainring for the triple up front? What would make more sense? I
can easily afford the parts and the time to install them, so cost really
isn't much of a factor.

(Obviously, what would make the most sense would be to convince her to RIDE
MORE, so that her legs would be in better shape, but that's a different
discussion entirely. :) Either that, or throw some slicks on her MTB!)

Regards,
H.

HardwareLust said:
[...]

There was a very similar post today with answers here:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t164866.html

"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> I believe the largest rear cassette that I can use with the Shimano 105
> derailleur is 12-27 (which she has now), leaving her with a 'granny' gear
> of 30-27 using the small chainring up front.

Your Shimano 105 derailleurs and shifters should be able to handle a 30 tooth
cassette. You can buy one from sheldonbrown.com

> So, my question is, how can I install a larger cassette, like a mountain
> cassette?

Sometimes you can go up to 32T with a 105 rear derailleur; sometimes not. If
you want a 32T, you will need a MTB rear derailleur. It will shift fine with
a 105 shift level. Note that stock MTB cassettes are usually 11-32. Unless
you're really strong, you will never use the 11 (and possibly 12) tooth cogs.
You can find better spaced big cassettes at sheldonbrown.com (or you can make
your own).

> Can I put an LX or XT derailleur on the back and an LX/XT
> cassette? Will that work well with the 105 STI levers? Or, can I get a
> smaller chainring for the triple up front? What would make more sense?
> I can easily afford the parts and the time to install them, so cost
> really isn't much of a factor.

If you're real careful with your adjustments, you should be able to use a 26T
granny chainring with your 105 triple crankset and front derailleur. Make
sure you get a chainring with the right bolt circle for your crankset. If
you're not real careful with your adjustments, your chain will drop of the
crank a lot.

HardwareLust wrote:

> My gf is not happy with her Shimano 105 Triple road bike. She says that she
> would like some gears "like on her mountain bike" (Cannondale Jekyll with
> LX/XT mix).
>
> I believe the largest rear cassette that I can use with the Shimano 105
> derailleur is 12-27

That's the Official Party Line. For the truth, see:

http://sheldonbrown.com/capacity

> (which she has now), leaving her with a 'granny' gear of
> 30-27 using the small chainring up front.

That's hardly a "granny" gear.

> So, my question is, how can I install a larger cassette, like a mountain
> cassette?

Yes, that's one option.

> Can I put an LX or XT derailleur on the back and an LX/XT
> cassette? Will that work well with the 105 STI levers?

Yes, but those will have uselessly high high gears. You might want to
consider one of my custom cassettes: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/9

The stock 105 rear derailer will usually actually handle up to a 30 tooth.

Yes. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/74

> What would make more sense? I
> can easily afford the parts and the time to install them, so cost really
> isn't much of a factor.

I'd suggest starting in front, put on a 26 and see if that does the
trick. If that doesn't go low enough to suit her needs, then it's time
to think about a new cassette (and a new chain to go with it.)

> (Obviously, what would make the most sense would be to convince her to RIDE
> MORE, so that her legs would be in better shape, but that's a different
> discussion entirely. :) Either that, or throw some slicks on her MTB!)

Yes, a discussion that you would be better off NOT starting with her.

Sheldon "Low Gears Are Good" Brown
| How harmful overspecialization is. |
| It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding. |
| --Isaac Asimov |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> HardwareLust wrote:
>
>> My gf is not happy with her Shimano 105 Triple road bike. She says
>> that she would like some gears "like on her mountain bike"
>> (Cannondale Jekyll with LX/XT mix).
>>
>> I believe the largest rear cassette that I can use with the Shimano
>> 105 derailleur is 12-27

> That's the Official Party Line. For the truth, see:
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/capacity
>
>> (which she has now), leaving her with a 'granny' gear of
>> 30-27 using the small chainring up front.

> That's hardly a "granny" gear.
>
>> So, my question is, how can I install a larger cassette, like a
>> mountain cassette?

> Yes, that's one option.
>
>> Can I put an LX or XT derailleur on the back and an LX/XT
>> cassette? Will that work well with the 105 STI levers?

> Yes, but those will have uselessly high high gears. You might want to
> consider one of my custom cassettes: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/9
>
> The stock 105 rear derailer will usually actually handle up to a 30
> tooth.
>
>> Or, can I get a smaller chainring for the triple up front?

> Yes. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/74
>
>> What would make more sense? I
>> can easily afford the parts and the time to install them, so cost
>> really isn't much of a factor.

> I'd suggest starting in front, put on a 26 and see if that does the
> trick. If that doesn't go low enough to suit her needs, then it's
> time to think about a new cassette (and a new chain to go with it.)
>
>> (Obviously, what would make the most sense would be to convince her
>> to RIDE MORE, so that her legs would be in better shape, but that's
>> a different discussion entirely. :) Either that, or throw some
>> slicks on her MTB!)

> Yes, a discussion that you would be better off NOT starting with her.

True indeed.

Thanks a bunch for the info, Sheldon. I'm off to your website to read more.

Regards,
H.

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> HardwareLust wrote:
>
> > My gf is not happy with her Shimano 105 Triple road bike. She says that she
> > would like some gears "like on her mountain bike" (Cannondale Jekyll with
> > LX/XT mix).
> >
> > I believe the largest rear cassette that I can use with the Shimano 105
> > derailleur is 12-27

(...)

> The stock 105 rear derailer will usually actually handle up to a 30 tooth.

I have the exact same setup. My LBS rebuilt the cassette : get rid of
the 12T (won't miss it) and add a 30 T. Works great. Costs little. If
you want lower that 30x30 you probably have to change the front stuff,
but 30x30 is already quite low -- noticeable difference with 30x27.

Cyclo

noOne-<< She says that she
would like some gears "like on her mountain bike" (Cannondale Jekyll with
LX/XT mix). >><BR><BR>
<< So, my question is, how can I install a larger cassette, like a mountain
cassette? Can I put an LX or XT derailleur on the back and an LX/XT
cassette? >><BR><BR>

Yep, just what you said, also a smaller small chainring-like a 26t.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] says...
> I'd suggest starting in front, put on a 26 and see if that does the
> trick. If that doesn't go low enough to suit her needs, then it's time
> to think about a new cassette (and a new chain to go with it.)

I'm old, bald, fat and live on a mountainside. (No, I'm not a troll --
they live under bridges.) I got a 26 tooth chainring from Sheldon
(Harris Cyclery). I refuse to use a low chainring that has more teeth
than I do. I use the 26 tooth chainring with a 12-27 on my "climbing
bike". This ring allows me to use a road bike for hauling my beer gut up
3,500 ft. mountains for which I previously had to use my MTB. And I use
Kool-stop MTB pads which I also got from Sheldon to make sure I can stop
my prodigious mass on the way down. Now, if only I had a helmet
resplendent with an eagle ornament . . . .

Rick
Climbing like Lance . . . . immediately after chemo.

java man (espressopithecus) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> I'd suggest starting in front, put on a 26 and see if that does the
>> trick. If that doesn't go low enough to suit her needs, then it's
>> time to think about a new cassette (and a new chain to go with it.)
>>

> I'm old, bald, fat and live on a mountainside. (No, I'm not a troll
> -- they live under bridges.) I got a 26 tooth chainring from Sheldon
> (Harris Cyclery). I refuse to use a low chainring that has more teeth
> than I do. I use the 26 tooth chainring with a 12-27 on my "climbing
> bike". This ring allows me to use a road bike for hauling my beer gut
> up 3,500 ft. mountains for which I previously had to use my MTB. And
> I use Kool-stop MTB pads which I also got from Sheldon to make sure I
> can stop my prodigious mass on the way down. Now, if only I had a
> helmet resplendent with an eagle ornament . . . .

Hmmm. Does this mean I could replace the small (30T) ring on my DuraAce
Triple with a 26T? (Also have a barely used Ultegra Triple; don't ask me
why I upgraded because I HAVE NO IDEA.) (Well, the 39T middle on the DA
/is/ a tad friendlier than the Ultegra's 42.)

Wonder if I could sneak it on before our next Mt. Palomar excursion, and not
tell anyone!

Bill "24-34 on Titus; 30-25 on Klein: Granny lives on the fully" S.

In article <[email protected]>, sorni@bite-
me.san.rr.com says...
> java man (espressopithecus) wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> >> I'd suggest starting in front, put on a 26 and see if that does the
> >> trick. If that doesn't go low enough to suit her needs, then it's
> >> time to think about a new cassette (and a new chain to go with it.)
> >>

> > I'm old, bald, fat and live on a mountainside. (No, I'm not a troll
> > -- they live under bridges.) I got a 26 tooth chainring from Sheldon
> > (Harris Cyclery). I refuse to use a low chainring that has more teeth
> > than I do. I use the 26 tooth chainring with a 12-27 on my "climbing
> > bike". This ring allows me to use a road bike for hauling my beer gut
> > up 3,500 ft. mountains for which I previously had to use my MTB. And
> > I use Kool-stop MTB pads which I also got from Sheldon to make sure I
> > can stop my prodigious mass on the way down. Now, if only I had a
> > helmet resplendent with an eagle ornament . . . .

> Hmmm. Does this mean I could replace the small (30T) ring on my DuraAce
> Triple with a 26T? (Also have a barely used Ultegra Triple; don't ask me
> why I upgraded because I HAVE NO IDEA.) (Well, the 39T middle on the DA
> /is/ a tad friendlier than the Ultegra's 42.)
>
> Wonder if I could sneak it on before our next Mt. Palomar excursion, and not
> tell anyone!

I know what you're thinkin' punk. Should an old, fat guy use a 26
instead of a 30? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement
I've lost track myself.

So let's see.

Do you rub your gut on the top tube when you ride in the drops? Do you
you wear a helmet mainly to protect your bald head from sunburn? Do you
know how to pull your right crank by yourself? This being the most
powerful chainring in the world, the 26 MAGNUM, you've gotta ask
yourself one question, do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Oh, sorry, I got lost in my Dirty Harry personna there for a minute.
;-)

I would go with the 26. I don't know whether it fits the DA triple.

The only time I ever need the 26 is on long climbs. It's nice to have a
full range of close ratios on the rear as the gradient varies, and it's
great to have a really low bailout gear. You'll probably climb faster
and feel better at the top.

Rick

I wrote:

>>>I'd suggest starting in front, put on a 26 and see if that does the
>>>trick. If that doesn't go low enough to suit her needs, then it's
>>>time to think about a new cassette (and a new chain to go with it.)

java man (espressopithecus) wrote:

>>I'm old, bald, fat and live on a mountainside. (No, I'm not a troll
>>-- they live under bridges.) I got a 26 tooth chainring from Sheldon
>>(Harris Cyclery). I refuse to use a low chainring that has more teeth
>>than I do. I use the 26 tooth chainring with a 12-27 on my "climbing
>>bike". This ring allows me to use a road bike for hauling my beer gut
>>up 3,500 ft. mountains for which I previously had to use my MTB. And
>>I use Kool-stop MTB pads which I also got from Sheldon to make sure I
>>can stop my prodigious mass on the way down. Now, if only I had a
>>helmet resplendent with an eagle ornament . . . .

S o r n i asked:

> Hmmm. Does this mean I could replace the small (30T) ring on my DuraAce
> Triple with a 26T?

Unfortunately, no. The Dura-Ace triple uses a unique 92 mm bolt circle
for its small ring, and nothing exists except the stock 30 that will fit
it.

I'm afraid the Dura-Ace triple crank is a bit of a loser product. You
would have been much better off to have bought Ultegra or even 105.

Sheldon "More Expensive Isn't Always Better" Brown
| The art of being wise is the art of |
| knowing what to overlook. |
| --William James |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

I changed a road triple to a MTB 22 34 42. Also the
front and rear derailleur plus canti to V brakes. All from my
parts box. The only money out of my pocket for a front wheel which
was taos and wider 700c tires 38 and 40c. I use it as a comutter.

I MTB 2004

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> S o r n i asked:
>>
>> Hmmm. Does this mean I could replace the small (30T) ring on my
>> DuraAce Triple with a 26T?

> Unfortunately, no. The Dura-Ace triple uses a unique 92 mm bolt
> circle for its small ring, and nothing exists except the stock 30
> that will fit it.
>
> I'm afraid the Dura-Ace triple crank is a bit of a loser product. You
> would have been much better off to have bought Ultegra or even 105.

Well, my bike actually came with an Ultegra triple (see my original post),
so I /could/ install a 26T on it and then use that crankset for really hard,
hilly rides. Something to consider!

Then there's those 12-25 cassettes (two sets of wheels)...

Bill "plans for old(er) age" S.

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
<snip>
> S o r n i asked:
> >
> > Hmmm. Does this mean I could replace the small (30T) ring on my DuraAce
> > Triple with a 26T?

> Unfortunately, no. The Dura-Ace triple uses a unique 92 mm bolt circle
> for its small ring, and nothing exists except the stock 30 that will fit
> it.
>
> I'm afraid the Dura-Ace triple crank is a bit of a loser product. You
> would have been much better off to have bought Ultegra or even 105.

Sheldon (and others)-

Wouldn't it be possible to replace the middle chainring on a Dura-Ace
triple with a TA "Tripleizer" and then hang a 74 BCD chainring off of
that? Or is there something about the Dura-Ace triple that prevents
this?

Jeff

S o r n i asked:

>>>Hmmm. Does this mean I could replace the small (30T) ring on my DuraAce
>>>Triple with a 26T?

I replied:

>>Unfortunately, no. The Dura-Ace triple uses a unique 92 mm bolt circle
>>for its small ring, and nothing exists except the stock 30 that will fit
>>it.
>>
>>I'm afraid the Dura-Ace triple crank is a bit of a loser product. You
>>would have been much better off to have bought Ultegra or even 105.

Jeff Wills queried:

> Wouldn't it be possible to replace the middle chainring on a Dura-Ace
> triple with a TA "Tripleizer" and then hang a 74 BCD chainring off of
> that?

Yes, this would work, though it defeats the purpose of buying the
Dura-Ace triple crank in the first place, throwing good money after bad.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/130

Sheldon "Costly Kludge" Brown
+-----------------------------------+
| The gains in life come slowly, |
| but the losses come suddenly. |
| -- Garrison Keillor |
+-----------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

sheldon-<< Unfortunately, no. The Dura-Ace triple uses a unique 92 mm bolt
circle
for its small ring, and nothing exists except the stock 30 that will fit
it.

I'm afraid the Dura-Ace triple crank is a bit of a loser product. >><BR><BR>

Since I don't talk to them...and they don't talk to me..I wonder if shimano is
gonna keep the silly DA crank triple design, modify it to a triple or what for
2005. If they go to a 10s triple, say adios to the 9s DA STI, left and right,
further abandoning the crowd that got DA 9s triple...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 25 Jul 2004 13:52:02 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>sheldon-<< Unfortunately, no. The Dura-Ace triple uses a unique 92 mm bolt
>circle
>for its small ring, and nothing exists except the stock 30 that will fit
>it.
>
>I'm afraid the Dura-Ace triple crank is a bit of a loser product. >><BR><BR>
>
>Since I don't talk to them...and they don't talk to me..I wonder if shimano is
>gonna keep the silly DA crank triple design, modify it to a triple or what for
>2005. If they go to a 10s triple, say adios to the 9s DA STI, left and right,
>further abandoning the crowd that got DA 9s triple...
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Ok, so if my DA 9 speed triple levers fail and they offer a triple 10
speed, wouldn't I be able to just put a 10 speed cassette and chain
on, with the new levers. I realize it wouldn't be cheap or my first
choice, but it would keep me going.

Or go Ergo, with a Campy RD?, Stay with 9 speed, that might be more
cost effective. Well, I have about 21/2 years left on my DA warranty,
so I'd have to see what there offer would be.

I really do like the feel of my DA triple levers, more precise than
the Tiagra they replaced. I still haven't had the opportunity to ride
a Campy equiped bike. I would certainly do that, if starting from
scratch.

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:25:45 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I really do like the feel of my DA triple levers, more precise than
>the Tiagra they replaced. I still haven't had the opportunity to ride
>a Campy equiped bike. I would certainly do that, if starting from
>scratch.

Campy is pretty boring. It really hasn't changed much since '99.
Major improvements in design are missing. There are lots of
components that are not Campy specific that work fine with Campy.
Stupidity like indexed front shifting is missing. The Mirage and
Record functional parts are the same.

jstarr-<< Ok, so if my DA 9 speed triple levers fail and they offer a triple 10
speed, wouldn't I be able to just put a 10 speed cassette and chain
on, with the new levers. >><BR><BR>

I suspect they will 'offer' a ultegra STI, not DA, but that's up to them.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302