Lower mid-range hybrids with rugged wheels

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by DynV, May 20, 2013.

1. DynV

DynV New Member

My 1st criteria for a bike is long distance rides ; I'm not an athlete so for me long distances are ~120 Km (74.6 mi) and I'm hoping to achieve 150 Km (93.2 mi) this year.

I'm fed-up of having bikes rear-wheel messing up on me. Right now I have a pretty used low-range hybrid which I had its rear-wheel fix its broken spokes then aligned. Some spokes broke afterward and I tried fixing them ; it didn't last long and an acquaintance was better at it than me so did his best but it didn't last. My previous very used bike biggest problem by far was its rear wheel. I know if I get a new bike, it won't get to this point for a while but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Today an a couple days before I went to bikes stores letting them know I wanted a bike for long rides, which also handled trails and had the most rugged wheels, mentioning the rear one has been problematic. I started with a budget of 400 CAD (currently 390.73 USD) without taxes and went up to 500 CAD (488.45 USD). The 5 stores recommended different models which are listed below with the specifications I could find on them.

List ordered by the time of their recommendation (1st not hybrid) :
    • Giant Revel 4
      380 CAD
      http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/revel.4/11523/55894/#specifications
      Frame
      ALUXX-Grade Aluminum
      Fork
      SR Suntour M2025, 100mm Travel
      Rims
      Giant Alloy
      Hubs
      Alloy, 32h
      Spokes
      Stainless Steel, 14g
      Tires
      Kenda K892, 26x2.1
      Front Derailleur
      Shimano Tourney
      Rear Derailleur
      Shimano Tourney
      Cassette
      Shimano TZ21 14x28, 7-Speed
      Chain
      KMC Z51
      Crankset
      SR Suntour NEX w/Chainguard, 28/38/48
      Bottom Bracket
      Suntour, Sealed Cartridge
    • Trek 7.1 FX
      460 CAD
      http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_1_fx/#/us/en/model/details?url=us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_1_fx
      Frame
      FX Alpha Silver Aluminum
      Fork
      High-tensile steel w/lowrider mounts, CLIX dropouts
      Wheels
      Formula alloy hubs w/Bontrager AT-750 32-hole rims
      Tires
      Bontrager H2, 700x35c
      Front derailleur
      Shimano Tourney
      Rear derailleur
      Shimano Acera
      Crank
      Suntour XCC, 48/38/28 w/chainguard
      Cassette
      Shimano TZ31 14-34, 7 speed
    • Norco Malahat
      465 CAD
      http://www.norco.com/bikes/urban/hybrid/malahat/
      Frame
      7005 alloy w/comfort stays & internal cables
      Fork
      SR Suntour M-3010 suspension fork
      Wheels
      Rims
      Double wall alloy w/CNC side wall 32h - Black
      Tires
      Comfort 700 x 35c
      Tubes
      CST A/V tube
      Front Hub
      Formula Alloy hub 32h - Black
      Rear Hub
      Formula Alloy hub w/Cassette 32h - Black
      Spokes/Nipples
      Stainless spokes - 15 gauge
      Front Derailleur
      Shimano Tourney FD-TX51
      Rear Derailleur
      Shimano Tourney RD-TX55
      Cassette
      Shimano Altus CS-HG20 12-32T 7 speed
      Crankset
      Shimano Altus FC-M131C 48/38/28T
      Bottom Bracket
      Cartridge BB
    • Rocky Mountain Whistler 30
      500 CAD, 5 years of adjustments
      http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+WHISTLER_30.html?BIKE=1035&CATID=3&SCATID=28&Y=2012
      Frame
      RMB 6061 Series Custom Hydroformed Alloy. Internal Cable Routing. ZeroStack 1-1/8
      Fork
      Suntour NVX LO
      Spokes
      Stainless
      Rims
      Alex DA16 700c
      Tires (RR/FR)
      Kenda Kross Plus 700x40c
      Gearing (FR)
      Shimano Acera 31.8mm 9spd
      Gearing (RR)
      Shimano Alivio 9spd
      Cranks & Chainrings
      Suntour XCT V1 48/38/28T
      Bottom Bracket
      Suntour Sealed Cartridge
    • Minelli Filepe
      460 CAD
      http://www.minelli-bikes.com/B_Felipe_Eng.html
      frame
      "Alloy 6061 Performance
      Hybrid Diamond w/ integrated headset
      removeable drop-out"
      fork
      Cromoly
      hubs
      Alloy w/ Q/R
      spokes
      32 Stainless
      rims
      Alex Rims G-6000 Alloy Double Wall
      tires
      Kenda 700 x 28C
      front derailleur
      Shimano C-50
      rear derailleur
      Shimano Altus
      freewheel
      Shimano HG-50 12-25T
      chain
      KMC Z-72
      crankset
      Prowheel Alloy 48-38-28
      bottom bracket
      Shimano Cartridge BB-UN26
    Please help me make a decision keeping in mind the price, my desire to make long distance rides and the wheels rugedness.

Thank you kindly for your help

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Why not just have a better rear wheel laced up?

• either a wheel with a 36h hub ...
    • or even a 40h hub which is usually used for tandems ... a wheel builder can respace the 140mm tandem hub down to 135mm without too much effort on his/her part

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

120 to 150 kilometers is a long distance for anyone, cyclist or not, all wrong choices for what you want to achieve, you need a road bike (if you plan to do that on asphalt of course) or, as suggested, a new pair of sturdy good wheels for your present bike,

4. DynV

DynV New Member

I'm doing trail on it
    not most of the time although neither a negligible portion. Alfeng got me thinking earlier
    but I wanted someone to look at the choices before getting to his post. After my 1st notice, I reviewed my list and saw after there's a 28 mm wheel in the list which is now hanging by a thread (not to be dropped), albeit I may be hasty and perhaps a 32 mm could simply be put on the rim. Now that you know I do trail, are the 5 listed still bad choices?

After Alfeng suggestion, I wondered if I'd need to change both wheels or just 1? The bike is old, the men I got it from told me he got it from a garage sale and likely the previous-previous owner slapped 1 of the 2 wheels on it before getting rid of it. If I'm right, it must not be bad riding on 2 different wheels as it's been handling adequately. I like the bike, it's not so good but I think it does the job and beside the read wheel, I can't complain about it ...

Oh! the stem is crooked. This is secondary, far less of an issue than the rear wheel. The crookedness isn't bad as I did many kilometers like that but I still tried to fix it, I unscrewed the large bolt-like thing on the frame where the stem comes out and unscrewed the long bolt on top of it (stem) then tried aligning the fork & stem but couldn't manage it although I didn't go so far as to use a bar on the fork, preferring experienced advice beforehand in case it would break or bend something.

So maybe I should shell out 100$ or more, but hopefully not more than 200$ (although if it must I will), to get a pretty sturdy rear wheel and hopefully if I decide to change bike, likely also low-range, it could be swapped with the new wheel (of the new bike).