Lower mid-range hybrids with rugged wheels

DynV

Sep 9, 2012
My 1st criteria for a bike is long distance rides ; I'm not an athlete so for me long distances are ~120 Km (74.6 mi) and I'm hoping to achieve 150 Km (93.2 mi) this year.

I'm fed-up of having bikes rear-wheel messing up on me. Right now I have a pretty used low-range hybrid which I had its rear-wheel fix its broken spokes then aligned. Some spokes broke afterward and I tried fixing them ; it didn't last long and an acquaintance was better at it than me so did his best but it didn't last. My previous very used bike biggest problem by far was its rear wheel. I know if I get a new bike, it won't get to this point for a while but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Today an a couple days before I went to bikes stores letting them know I wanted a bike for long rides, which also handled trails and had the most rugged wheels, mentioning the rear one has been problematic. I started with a budget of 400 CAD (currently 390.73 USD) without taxes and went up to 500 CAD (488.45 USD). The 5 stores recommended different models which are listed below with the specifications I could find on them.

List ordered by the time of their recommendation (1st not hybrid) :
  • Giant Revel 4
    380 CAD
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/revel.4/11523/55894/#specifications
    Frame
    ALUXX-Grade Aluminum
    Fork
    SR Suntour M2025, 100mm Travel
    Rims
    Giant Alloy
    Hubs
    Alloy, 32h
    Spokes
    Stainless Steel, 14g
    Tires
    Kenda K892, 26x2.1
    Front Derailleur
    Shimano Tourney
    Rear Derailleur
    Shimano Tourney
    Cassette
    Shimano TZ21 14x28, 7-Speed
    Chain
    KMC Z51
    Crankset
    SR Suntour NEX w/Chainguard, 28/38/48
    Bottom Bracket
    Suntour, Sealed Cartridge
  • Trek 7.1 FX
    460 CAD
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_1_fx/#/us/en/model/details?url=us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_1_fx
    Frame
    FX Alpha Silver Aluminum
    Fork
    High-tensile steel w/lowrider mounts, CLIX dropouts
    Wheels
    Formula alloy hubs w/Bontrager AT-750 32-hole rims
    Tires
    Bontrager H2, 700x35c
    Front derailleur
    Shimano Tourney
    Rear derailleur
    Shimano Acera
    Crank
    Suntour XCC, 48/38/28 w/chainguard
    Cassette
    Shimano TZ31 14-34, 7 speed
  • Norco Malahat
    465 CAD
    http://www.norco.com/bikes/urban/hybrid/malahat/
    Frame
    7005 alloy w/comfort stays & internal cables
    Fork
    SR Suntour M-3010 suspension fork
    Wheels
    Rims
    Double wall alloy w/CNC side wall 32h - Black
    Tires
    Comfort 700 x 35c
    Tubes
    CST A/V tube
    Front Hub
    Formula Alloy hub 32h - Black
    Rear Hub
    Formula Alloy hub w/Cassette 32h - Black
    Spokes/Nipples
    Stainless spokes - 15 gauge
    Front Derailleur
    Shimano Tourney FD-TX51
    Rear Derailleur
    Shimano Tourney RD-TX55
    Cassette
    Shimano Altus CS-HG20 12-32T 7 speed
    Crankset
    Shimano Altus FC-M131C 48/38/28T
    Bottom Bracket
    Cartridge BB
  • Rocky Mountain Whistler 30
    500 CAD, 5 years of adjustments
    http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+WHISTLER_30.html?BIKE=1035&CATID=3&SCATID=28&Y=2012
    Frame
    RMB 6061 Series Custom Hydroformed Alloy. Internal Cable Routing. ZeroStack 1-1/8
    Fork
    Suntour NVX LO
    Spokes
    Stainless
    Rims
    Alex DA16 700c
    Tires (RR/FR)
    Kenda Kross Plus 700x40c
    Gearing (FR)
    Shimano Acera 31.8mm 9spd
    Gearing (RR)
    Shimano Alivio 9spd
    Cranks & Chainrings
    Suntour XCT V1 48/38/28T
    Bottom Bracket
    Suntour Sealed Cartridge
  • Minelli Filepe
    460 CAD
    http://www.minelli-bikes.com/B_Felipe_Eng.html
    frame
    "Alloy 6061 Performance
    Hybrid Diamond w/ integrated headset
    removeable drop-out"
    fork
    Cromoly
    hubs
    Alloy w/ Q/R
    spokes
    32 Stainless
    rims
    Alex Rims G-6000 Alloy Double Wall
    tires
    Kenda 700 x 28C
    front derailleur
    Shimano C-50
    rear derailleur
    Shimano Altus
    freewheel
    Shimano HG-50 12-25T
    chain
    KMC Z-72
    crankset
    Prowheel Alloy 48-38-28
    bottom bracket
    Shimano Cartridge BB-UN26
Please help me make a decision keeping in mind the price, my desire to make long distance rides and the wheels rugedness.

Thank you kindly for your help

Why not just have a better rear wheel laced up?

• either a wheel with a 36h hub ...
  • or even a 40h hub which is usually used for tandems ... a wheel builder can respace the 140mm tandem hub down to 135mm without too much effort on his/her part

120 to 150 kilometers is a long distance for anyone, cyclist or not, all wrong choices for what you want to achieve, you need a road bike (if you plan to do that on asphalt of course) or, as suggested, a new pair of sturdy good wheels for your present bike,

Originally Posted by vspa .

[,,,]
all wrong choices for what you want to achieve, you need a road bike (if you plan to do that on asphalt of course)
or, as suggested, a new pair of sturdy good wheels for your present bike,
I'm doing trail on it
Originally Posted by DynV .

[,,,] I wanted a bike for long rides, which also handled trails and had the most rugged wheels, mentioning the rear one has been problematic. [,,,]
not most of the time although neither a negligible portion. Alfeng got me thinking earlier
Originally Posted by alfeng .

Why not just have a better rear wheel laced up?

• either a wheel with a 36h hub ...
  • or even a 40h hub which is usually used for tandems ... a wheel builder can respace the 140mm tandem hub down to 135mm without too much effort on his/her part
but I wanted someone to look at the choices before getting to his post. After my 1st notice, I reviewed my list and saw after there's a 28 mm wheel in the list which is now hanging by a thread (not to be dropped), albeit I may be hasty and perhaps a 32 mm could simply be put on the rim. Now that you know I do trail, are the 5 listed still bad choices?

After Alfeng suggestion, I wondered if I'd need to change both wheels or just 1? The bike is old, the men I got it from told me he got it from a garage sale and likely the previous-previous owner slapped 1 of the 2 wheels on it before getting rid of it. If I'm right, it must not be bad riding on 2 different wheels as it's been handling adequately. I like the bike, it's not so good but I think it does the job and beside the read wheel, I can't complain about it ...

Oh! the stem is crooked. This is secondary, far less of an issue than the rear wheel. The crookedness isn't bad as I did many kilometers like that but I still tried to fix it, I unscrewed the large bolt-like thing on the frame where the stem comes out and unscrewed the long bolt on top of it (stem) then tried aligning the fork & stem but couldn't manage it although I didn't go so far as to use a bar on the fork, preferring experienced advice beforehand in case it would break or bend something.

So maybe I should shell out 100$ or more, but hopefully not more than 200$ (although if it must I will), to get a pretty sturdy rear wheel and hopefully if I decide to change bike, likely also low-range, it could be swapped with the new wheel (of the new bike).