Lowering 'Bad' Cholesterol

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Doe, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Orange Juice Fortified With Plant Sterols Found to Lower 'Bad' Cholesterol in Healthy Volunteers

    SACRAMENTO, Calif., Feb. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Plant sterols -- recognized for their cholesterol-
    lowering power when added to margarines, salad dressings and other fats -- are just as effective
    in reducing low-density lipoprotein, or "bad" cholesterol levels, when added to orange juice,
    say researchers at UC Davis School of Medicine and Medical Center. The results, based on a 10-
    week study of 72 healthy volunteers with mildly elevated cholesterol levels, are published in
    the March 8 issue of the American Heart Association's journal Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and
    Vascular Biology (available online at http://www.atvbaha.org ). "Lowering LDL cholesterol is a
    well-accepted means of reducing the likelihood of heart disease," said Sridevi Devaraj, an
    assistant professor of pathology and investigator in the Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and
    Metabolic Research at UC Davis Medical Center who led the sterol study. "Fortifying orange juice
    with plant sterols is an easy and effective way to boost a diet's LDL-fighting power in
    individuals with mildly elevated cholesterol levels. "Fifty percent of Americans have mildly
    elevated cholesterol levels, defined as having a total cholesterol reading of more than 200
    mg/dL. The inclusion of sterols in orange juice offers an important treatment option without
    increasing saturated fat and at the same time providing vitamin C, flavonoids and other
    essential nutrients." The American Heart Association and National Cholesterol Education Program
    recommend a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and rich in soluble fiber and
    plant sterols to help individuals reduce their risk of heart disease. Sterols are present in
    small quantities in a variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, cereals and
    legumes. Chemically similar to cholesterol, sterols are thought to lower LDL levels in the body
    by limiting absorption of cholesterol in the intestine. The UC Davis study is the first to show
    the cholesterol-reducing effects of plant sterols in a nonfat beverage. For the study, the UC
    Davis researchers enrolled healthy volunteers ages 20 to 73 with mildly elevated cholesterol
    levels. The volunteers were asked to eat their normal diet but to drink a cup of juice along
    with whatever they had for breakfast and dinner. Half of the group had the sterol-fortified
    orange juice while the others drank regular orange juice by the same manufacturer. Fasting blood
    tests were taken before and after the study to determine total cholesterol, total triglyceride,
    LDL cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and apolipoprotein B levels. "Volunteers
    who drank the sterol-fortified orange juice had a 7.2-percent decrease in total cholesterol, 12.4-
    percent decrease in LDL cholesterol, and
    7.8-percent decrease in non-high-density lipoprotein levels compared to baseline and to the group
    that received the non-sterol orange juice group," she said. "Orange juice has wide appeal since it
    is consumed by individuals of all ages, from early childhood to old age. And for individuals who
    do not want to take a drug for mildly elevated cholesterol, this may provide a healthy and
    attractive alternative." Previous studies at other institutions have evaluated plant sterols in
    yogurt and other low-fat and non-fat foods, with variable results. The UC Davis study may be
    unique in that it did not place volunteers on a special diet and only asked that they drink the
    juice with their normal meals. "The fat in the meals may have helped to emulsify the sterols, but
    further research will need to be done to determine the meal's relevance," said Ishwarlal Jialal,
    professor of pathology and internal medicine and director of the Laboratory for Atherosclerosis
    and Metabolic Research at UC Davis Medical Center. "We also would like to investigate whether
    sterols can add to the LDL-reducing effects of statin drugs in higher-risk individuals. Sterol-
    fortified orange juice could potentially enable more patients to meet cholesterol level goals as
    outlined by the National Cholesterol Education Program."

    This study was supported with grants from National Institutes of Health and Minute Maid -- The
    Coca Cola Company.

    SOURCE U.C. Davis Health System Web Site: http://www.news.ucdavis.edu

    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Sonos

    Sonos Guest

    I might comment that this is really a study on plant sterol nutritional supplementation.

    On 25-Feb-2004, [email protected] (doe) wrote:

    > Sterols are present in small quantities in a variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, nuts,
    > seeds, cereals and legumes.

    Thanks, I was looking for this information.

    --
    Winning against heart attack and stroke http://www.sonoscore.com