Lowest gear used by elite female racers

TiMan

Sep 29, 2003
My wife and I are wondering what the "typically" lowest gear that elite level female road racers use for the mountains.

Lance Armstrong uses a 39 chain ring with a 23 rear cog as his lowest gear.........perhaps the ladies use a 25 or a 27 in the back?

Thanx

Ti

Originally posted by TiMan
My wife and I are wondering what the "typically" lowest gear that elite level female road racers use for the mountains.

Lance Armstrong uses a 39 chain ring with a 23 rear cog as his lowest gear.........perhaps the ladies use a 25 or a 27 in the back?

Thanx

Ti

Ti,
Many other riders in the tour ride don't ride 39x23's, but most dont run the cadence that LA does. Some use only a 21 on the back. Its more an issue of preference and riding style.

Gear selections in a big stage race vary day by day. The average elite rider in Belgium, male or female, will use a 10x17 on the back for the typical kermese (most of the climbs are short power climbs). If you headed into a major stage race with multiple climbing stages, a 23 comes along as the "just in case" gear.

In all of the elite races and (single and stage, Pro/Am men) I've done, I've never noticed any diferrent gearing in the womens fields.

Hope that helps.

- n -