Lowest temp you ride in

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by cdaleguy, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Ashley3

Ashley3 New Member

Another cold weather consideration around here -- where it can be 15 degrees above freezing for a couple of days and then drop to 15 degrees below freezing -- is ice. Rain or thawing snow or runoff gets onto the road on the warmer days and freezes on the cold days. Not into big ice (who rides in that?), but little patches of black ice in the shadows on the back roads.

2. basso97

basso97 New Member

I spent over $400.00 for clothing and shoes so I could ride in the winter this year.

6580 ... Burley Rock Point Men's Rain Jacket ... NEW * * * $109.95
    Blocks the wind and is ventelated well.
    2969 ... Lake 2005 MXZ300 Winter SPD Shoe ... (Regularly $189.95) $129.88 they were $169 when I purchased them then the cleats were $24

A pair of Wind block bib thights for about $110.00 With out all of thease I could not ride below 40 deg f.

3. antone

antone New Member

Last night I ordered a skull cap, calieo toe covers by assos and knee warmers. I think cuz of all this cold weather riding talk. I never ride on ice and rarely in the rain but the NC countryside is beautiful on a cold crisp morning, Now that damn wind chill factor is something else!!! No hills here on the east side but I think the wind makes up for it! Anyone ride on the highways and roads without a bike lane like in NC? There are bike routes marked and neat bright green "share the road" signs but ZERO bike lanes. This is kinda scary somtimes. :eek:

4. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

Yesterday I went on what will probably be my coldest ride this year. Went out for 90 minutes in 38 degree weather and a 10 mph wind, and everything about me stayed warm except for my toes. I taped up the open vent holes on the bottom of my shoes but I really need to get some booties to be effective in this weather. Other than that I've got Pearl Izumi tights, thick acrylic socks, a skull cap, arm warmers, earmuffs, and a set of thick gloves--that keeps me toasty warm as long as I'm moving.

5. basso97

basso97 New Member

Get the Lake Winter Shoes thay are great. They have Kept my feet warm with just lightweight socks and these shoes down to 10 deg f.
    http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2969-40'

6. KGnagey

KGnagey New Member

Why buy another pair of shoes just for cold weather riding? I use neoprene booties for both road and mountian in the cold weather. They block the wet and cold stuff and are much cheaper than a new pair of shoes. Check out Gator mountain booties or something similar. Just pulled a quick google search but $40 ain't too bad...maybe you could find them cheaper somewhere else.
    http://www.bullteksports.com/catalog/pictures/Gator/Gator.htm

7. basso97

basso97 New Member

Why buy a pair of shoes for the winter?

Because they keep you Warmer then the booties. I had the booties and my toes were still getting cold. In my case the road sidis shoes I purchased were probably too small. I can fit one pair of cycling socks in them. I could not put a thick pair of socks on if I tried. :eek:

I can use the lakes in sub zero and since they are Mountain Bike shoes they have the spikes to help with the ice and snow. For me the Lakes were cheeper then a new, larger, pair of road shoes and better booties.

8. cdaleguy

cdaleguy New Member

Agreed. I just got some PI's and love them.

9. KGnagey

KGnagey New Member

Using shoes that are too small will cut off circulation and cause your toes and feet to get cold. Cycling shoes should fit snug but not tight. I ride in a wide range of temps so one pair of summer shoes wrapped with booties works for me in cold temps. Keeping your extremities warm is important in cold weather riding, other wise things get miserable quick.

10. leegregory

leegregory New Member

Went out For an hour or so on Saturday morning, minus 2 celsius (29 F). Nice bright sunny day, could'nt stop my nose running and did'nt plug the holes in the bottom of my shoes, they were blue when i got back. The joys of growing up and being british.

11. rob of the og

rob of the og New Member

It never really gets all that cold here in Wales - it's the upside to being battered by the Atlantic winds and rain. I think -4c is the lowest it's got to this winter, and that was a real one off, it's generally above freezing point by the early morning when I head off. Most of the time I've been too warm in my Assos stuff, and have worn shorts+knee warmers some mornings this winter. The problem is that it rains pretty much all the time so as soon as it dips below there's ice everywhere.

12. dhk

dhk New Member

I'll second that good booties, or winter shoes, are worth the money. Came back from a ride last year with frozen feet and decided I didn't need to suffer anymore. Went right to the LBS for the PI Amfib booties. Problem solved.

For the head, neck and ears, I like the thin lycra balaclava under my helmet.

Apart from just temps, I find the sky conditions, wind and humidity make a big difference. A sunny, calm and dry 40*F at midday feels warmer to me than 55* and overcast with a 10-15 mph wind.

13. leegregory

leegregory New Member

I got a pair of Neoprene Gloves and some Assos overshoes, life savers in the winter weather. Never managed to find decent headwear that fits under a helmet. I thinks i need a new lid as well as a new chain. It's all spend spend in Winter.

14. pwforprez

pwforprez New Member

well the other morning it was about 27 degrees out on my 8 mile commute to school. thats the coldest i would ever want to be, because add the wind from the downhill and its numbing to your whole body.

ps and now i have been sick since then.

15. basso97

basso97 New Member

16. bikeguy2004

bikeguy2004 New Member

28F has been my coldest ride. With no snow or ice on the roads. After a few rides in the low 30s (or high 20s), riding when it's 45F seems like summer.

17. bholde

bholde New Member

I ride most weekends in the winter here in Michigan. The coldest I've riden in is 3F. As long as you have the right clothes, it really is pleasant. I have found that around an hour to an hour and a half ride is enough for me in the really cold weather. The clothes really are the secret though. I always feel pretty tough after my cold weather rides. I don't really see any other riders out in the dead of winter.

18. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

In the winter here one gets a lot of nerve. I rode once last year in freezing rain because I couldn't take being stuck indoors any more. I got a good glazing all over and had to chip the ice off the light. That was 15f.

I have done a couple dry rides in 4f, thats cold. But it really does not feel that bad with a non-breathing coat over fleece.

19. BikeyGuy

BikeyGuy New Member

...mid 20's.........

20. Cheesy

Cheesy New Member

This photo is after about 20-30min somewhere below -20C (maybe -25?). I think we got down to around -28 or so on the bikes (approaching -20F)

I use lip balm on my nose and cheeks where my beard doesn't cover, it really helps when there's a breeze on your face. It's still tough on the face on downhills though.

Feet kept reasonably warm by 3 pairs of socks and boots (no clips), and hands by ice-climbing gloves and overmitts.