Lowest temp you ride in

The lowest temp ride I was in was 26F - but I wasn't clothed very well and I felt cold. I just recently did a 10.37 mi ride in 31F to 29F weather and I did not ever feel cold! I wore a t-shirt, a Cannondale Polartec 300 Thermal Pro Sweatshirt, and a fleece lined jacket. My shoes were Vans slip-ons with regular wool socks. <- When it gets colder I would like to see how low it can be for me to ride. Previously I was a wimp by not riding below 42F. But now with all my clothes I know I can comfortably bike at around 29F to 32F !

Knowing that you can bike in the 30s or 20s will really make your season start earlier! I don't like using a trainer, and my off season has been 8 weeks of no riding so far. I did 2080.88 miles of biking last year.

I think I've gone for brief periods of time (30 minutes or so) at temperatures in the 30s (F), but the true limiting factor for me is if there's ice and snow on the roads. Otherwise, I might be tempted to go out in colder days...just need to figure out a way to keep the hands warm.

A few years ago we held a ride to benefit the family of a cyclist killed by a car.
It was about 20 degress and a wet 20 at that. 400+ riders showed up, including George Hincapie. Before that ride he stood out there with the rest of us, and signed autographs (that's a classy guy).
One thing that kept me warm for a few minutes was hearing 800+ clicks as we started a ride for a good cause.
But, as luck would have it, about four miles in to the 30-something ride, someone in front called out "Hole!" I looked up and said "What?!" and BOOM, I hit the hole and flatted.
My fingers were so cold, it was hard to change tubes. Then I had to ride the rest of the way by myself.
When I got home I spent an hour in a bathtub filled with hot water hoping to coax 'things' back out of their hiding hole.

KGnagey said:
Anything above freezing, no wind, and dry is fair game for the road rides. Although I have ridden the road in below freezing temps, icy, snowy conditions, I prefer to stay in the woods below these temps. The coldest its been while I've ridden is about 15 degrees. The trails get hard and fast when they are frozen. I like to hit the trails early in the winter mornings before temps get too warm and turn them to mud. Right now, in Baltimore MD its in the teens and wind chills are single digits close to zero.

I have just changed my tune. I rode over the weekend; it was 40 deg, first day above freezing day in a long time. I crashed! :mad: Temperature is not as important as road condition. Melting show, wet roads with fine layer of road salt make for no traction. I will do the cold but not the wet roads.

I jinxed my self. Last week when I did 45 miles on Sunday in it was cold 28 deg F but roads were dry. My wife said I was nuts for ridding in this weather. I told her I would rather ride in this then a few degrees warmer and wet roads from melting snow. I was right.

P.s I did not tell her of the crash. Went out and got new bar tape and fixed it . I wonder if she will notice my tape changed from yellow to red? :cool:

Well, I got spoiled for a bit last Friday with a few 56+ degree days that really cleaned all of the snow and ice off of the roads. Unfortunately we are back to normal February today in sunny Minnesota at a balmy 16!!! I was so excited to ride outside of the trainer that I don't think I can go back on!! So with clear and dry roads yet, I am about to don all of the AmFib gear I own and brave the cold!!!

bholde said:
I ride most weekends in the winter here in Michigan. The coldest I've riden in is 3F. As long as you have the right clothes, it really is pleasant. I have found that around an hour to an hour and a half ride is enough for me in the really cold weather. The clothes really are the secret though. I always feel pretty tough after my cold weather rides. I don't really see any other riders out in the of winter.

I agree about the clothes. This is the first winter I'm actually trying to ride all the way through. Usually I go indoors for a trainer or just run during the winter.

I found that with windproof gloves, a decent pair of tights (not completely windproof, but almost, with a thin layer of fleece), neoprene booties, a snug-fitting jacket/jersey that's windproof on the front and heat-releasing in back, with one or two long-sleeve jerseys underneath, and a neoprene ear-band, it's quite comfortable. -- mostly.

My record is 9F, though I found at that temp you need an additional windproof layer in the front of your tights. I looked funny with my emergency windbreaker shoved down there, but I was the same gender when I got home as when I left:rolleyes:

It's actually better to ride in temps slightly below freezing because the snow doesn't slush up the roads and make them slippery and you wet. Riding protected from the wind, you generate plenty of heat, but once the heavy spray starts, you're a popsicle waiting to happen.

I don't care how cold it is, as long as the roads are clear (no snow, or snow coming). Have ridding as cold as -15 F in the morning on the way to work.
Hands and feet are the toughest to keep warm. mittens and platform pedals and insulated hiking boots work good. ;)

25*F is my coldest, but each year my threshold has lowered. This can be attributed to gradually improving my inventory of cold weather clothing over the years. As long as the roads are clear of ice patches, I prefer to leave the trainer idle in the basement. Fortunately this region doesn't see many long periods of lower temperatures, so I can get close to 10 months of outdoor riding in a year.

I definitely prefer the cold weather to wet weather.

My record ... -55C a mountainbike ride, even had a flat that day. Cold isn't a problem as long as you dress appropriately and don't go too hard. We've been doing 2 - 3 hour rides the past few weeks with temps ranging from -10C today to the mid -20Cs. Its never too cold to get outside and cycle... one look at my trainer is all the motivation I need to get out the door into the cold. ;)

fallensparrow

I live in western michigan so i ride regularly until the low 20's. With the snow i'll pull out my mountain bike to keep riding outside, trainers are deathly boring for me.

I live in the south near Mexico, so it's really not a fair question. In the dead of winter I started a 45 degree 10 am ride in shorts and it felt pretty good. Anything colder than that and I will stay home. It's March 3rd and the high today was 68 and sunny. Thank God for the south!