Lowrider

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> which partly of answers a query I had about the bike I have pictured at:
>
> http://www.ximenes.org.uk/lowrider.html

Ignore me prattling on to myself but I have now realised that there is a whole lowrider culture in
the US, including the twisted strip bars on the bike picture I have---like this:

http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery/view.asp?image=50968&pub=36

It seems to involve making a bike to the lowrider design but making sure it looks better (!) than
anyone else's.

I wonder if people actually ride them though.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> I wonder if people actually ride them though.

I doubt it. Not far anyway. And I've seen photos of ones which can't be ridden, coz the bottom
bracket height is less than the crank length...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>

>>I wonder if people actually ride them though.
>

> I doubt it. Not far anyway. And I've seen photos of ones which can't be ridden, coz the bottom
> bracket height is less than the crank length...

I have since found a site that sells parts such as "spear-head" pedals which it emphasises shouldn't
be used. I guess thety are built for shows but it all seems a bit strange. From the ones I have seen
with spare wheels---which seem to be smaller than either of the bike wheels!---they look a bit like
a car substitute (in terms of a self-modification thing.)

Colin

> Dave Larrington wrote:
> > Colin Blackburn wrote:
> >

> >>I wonder if people actually ride them though.
> >

> > I doubt it. Not far anyway. And I've seen photos of ones which can't be ridden, coz the bottom
> > bracket height is less than the crank length...
>
> I have since found a site that sells parts such as "spear-head" pedals which it emphasises
> shouldn't be used. I guess thety are built for shows but it all seems a bit strange. From the ones
> I have seen with spare wheels---which seem to be smaller than either of the bike wheels!---they
> look a bit like a car substitute (in terms of a self-modification thing.)
>
> Colin

that's how they were 'invented' young mexican dudes that wanted to show off to the laydeez but
didn't have a car or driving licence. then it became a cult, now it's possible to buy them off
the shelf.

I quite fancy one but can't think of anything practical to do with one other than look at it as some
sort of ornament or just sit about on it, saying 'heey, esse, ju looking at me or my wheels' a lot

http://www.lovelylowrider.co.uk/bikes.htm

Albert

I had one of these as a child back in the 70's I dont remember much about it now, it was gold
coloured and had the name 'Steyr' on the frame.

It looked pretty good but was not a partucularly great bike. Originated in USA and was given to me
after a repair to one of the welds

TJ

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3610901923&category=161 70