Lowrider

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance
    from screw hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front forks)?

    I bought a Halfords own brand one and it will only fit if I use the nasty U clamps that
    came with it.

    TIA

    Love and nuts from Rich x

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
    like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal

    Tags:

  2. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:
    > Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance
    > from screw hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front forks)?
    >
    > I bought a Halfords own brand one and it will only fit if I use the nasty U clamps that came
    > with it.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Love and nuts from Rich x

    My Blackburn Low riders also use a nasty U clamp but also IIRC bolt to the mudguard eyelet so the
    distance up the fork blade for the clamp is critical if not standard

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:
    > Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance
    > from screw hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front forks)?

    I think so, but note there are two types of lowrider in this world, my friend, those designed for
    use with forks with braze-ons, and those with nasty U-clamps that accept the fact that many forks
    don't have the braze-ons. I don't recall seeing direct mount lowrider racks sold in any other than a
    standard size. Blackburns and the Bor-Yueh cheap (but fine) copies seem to be the Usual Suspects.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:04:45 +0000, in
    <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Richard Bates wrote:
    >> Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on
    >> fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance from screw
    >> hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front
    >> forks)?
    >
    >I think so, but note there are two types of lowrider in
    >this world, my friend, those designed for use with forks
    >with braze-ons, and those with nasty U-clamps that accept
    >the fact that many forks don't have the braze-ons. I don't
    >recall seeing direct mount lowrider racks sold in any other
    >than a standard size. Blackburns and the Bor-Yueh cheap
    >(but fine) copies seem to be the Usual Suspects.

    If I can't get a goodwill-gesture refund from Halfords then
    it looks like I'll be ading once again to the pile of
    Useless Crap (TM) in my shed.

    I recently bought some super-duper Vaude panniers and found
    that my current lowrider (which does bolt directly to the
    forks) is unsuitable as the top edge has a wide aluminium
    plate running horizontally, which in effect makes the upper
    edge non-circular.

    Since the vaude design requires the pannier clips to
    completely encircle the rack's tubing, they won't fit
    properly.

    However, there do seem to be a couple of holes drilled into
    this aluminium plate so I may be able to widen the holes
    with a file and just adjust the pannier hooks to coincide
    with them.

    Love and rixen-kaul from Rich x

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
    appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything
    which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so
    desire, form a legal and binding contract.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:47:47 +0000, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >If I can't get a goodwill-gesture refund from Halfords then
    >it looks like I'll be ading once again to the pile of
    >Useless Crap (TM) in my shed.

    Tat or tqt, though?

    --
    Guy