Lowrider

Richard Bates

Guest
Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance
from screw hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front forks)?

I bought a Halfords own brand one and it will only fit if I use the nasty U clamps that
came with it.

TIA

Love and nuts from Rich x

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I
like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal

Richard Bates wrote:
> Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance
> from screw hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front forks)?
>
> I bought a Halfords own brand one and it will only fit if I use the nasty U clamps that came
> with it.
>
> TIA
>
> Love and nuts from Rich x

My Blackburn Low riders also use a nasty U clamp but also IIRC bolt to the mudguard eyelet so the
distance up the fork blade for the clamp is critical if not standard

Richard Bates wrote:
> Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance
> from screw hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front forks)?

I think so, but note there are two types of lowrider in this world, my friend, those designed for
use with forks with braze-ons, and those with nasty U-clamps that accept the fact that many forks
don't have the braze-ons. I don't recall seeing direct mount lowrider racks sold in any other than a
standard size. Blackburns and the Bor-Yueh cheap (but fine) copies seem to be the Usual Suspects.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:04:45 +0000, in
<[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Richard Bates wrote:
>> Is there a standard distance between the two braze-on
>> fittings for lowrider racks (ie the distance from screw
>> hole at hub and the screw hole midway up the front
>> forks)?
>
>I think so, but note there are two types of lowrider in
>this world, my friend, those designed for use with forks
>with braze-ons, and those with nasty U-clamps that accept
>the fact that many forks don't have the braze-ons. I don't
>recall seeing direct mount lowrider racks sold in any other
>than a standard size. Blackburns and the Bor-Yueh cheap
>(but fine) copies seem to be the Usual Suspects.

If I can't get a goodwill-gesture refund from Halfords then
it looks like I'll be ading once again to the pile of
Useless **** (TM) in my shed.

I recently bought some super-duper Vaude panniers and found
that my current lowrider (which does bolt directly to the
forks) is unsuitable as the top edge has a wide aluminium
plate running horizontally, which in effect makes the upper
edge non-circular.

Since the vaude design requires the pannier clips to
completely encircle the rack's tubing, they won't fit
properly.

However, there do seem to be a couple of holes drilled into
this aluminium plate so I may be able to widen the holes
with a file and just adjust the pannier hooks to coincide
with them.

Love and rixen-kaul from Rich x

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything
which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so
desire, form a legal and binding contract.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 17:47:47 +0000, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>If I can't get a goodwill-gesture refund from Halfords then
>it looks like I'll be ading once again to the pile of
>Useless **** (TM) in my shed.

Tat or tqt, though?

--
Guy