LSD Heart Rate Question

Aw

Guest
Hi folks,

I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5 mph,
my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young my 85%
tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.

In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!

Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

Thanks,
Art

You're not alone. My heart always feels like it's going to beat out of my chest when I drop acid
too. Don't worry...........after 12 or 15 hours it starts to slow down.

the formula i use is 205-(half your age) + 5 which do you use what is your restHR i ran today 6 mile
@ 133HR @ 1:22:35 the best formula is hill test ( run up and down hill till you get highest reading)
my data maxHR=200 restHR=40 70%=152 stop this insanity B4 it stops you plodzilla

AW wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
> my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
>
> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
>
> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
>
> Thanks,
> Art

"AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
> my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
>
> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
>
> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

Walk for a minute or two.

And yes, it seems normal. I'm also about 12-minute miler, and I find that dropping the pace much
below 12:30 min/mi that has diminishing returns. Right now I do long runs of about 1.5 hours every
week, divided into 30 minute segments with a 1-2 minute walk at the end of each.

AW wrote:

> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

I use a heart monitor with a "zone alarm". When it beeps (indicating that my heart is going too
fast), I slow down a little. If it's a really hot, humid day, and I'm already going about as slow as
I can comfortably run, I walk for a little while instead of just slowing down. We get a lot of hot,
humid days during the summer down here.

Steve

"AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
> my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
>
> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
>
> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

Unfortunately, HR does not merely measure your running effort, but also relates to your body's
cooling. Your heart is not only pumping blood & oxygen to your working muscles, but is also working
to cool you off. As your run progresses, you get hotter, and your HR reflects the extra-cooling work
your heart is doing. This is sometimes called "heart rate creep." Personally, I allow myself 10-15
beats of creep.

You should also keep in mind that the formulas for max heart rates and percentages thereof are not
likely to apply to you. To know your true max heart rate, you must be tested. One final point: I
don't buy the "run at a low HR to get faster" argument. I tried it for about 6 months, and I just
stayed nice and slow. Lately, I'm just letting my body run at the rate at which it feels
comfortable, and use my HR monitor as a safety check only. YMMV.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º
eNo

The cooling mechanism is the best explanation for this heart rate creep phenomenon. I certainly
sweat profusely after 15-20 min into any run whether it is 5 or 7 mph. What I can try is improve my
external cooling on the treadmill by using a fan. If the heart rate drops then it backs up the
cooling notion.

What I am hearing is a constant theme to measure rather than calculate the max heart rate. This I
will try. Regardless of the cause, keeping the heart rate in a certain zone isn't any easier.

Thanks,
Art
=========
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:24:49 -0800, "eNo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
>> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years
>> young my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
>>
>> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
>>
>> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
>

>Unfortunately, HR does not merely measure your running effort, but also relates to your body's
>cooling. Your heart is not only pumping blood & oxygen to your working muscles, but is also working
>to cool you off. As your run progresses, you get hotter, and your HR reflects the extra-cooling
>work your heart is doing. This is sometimes called "heart rate creep." Personally, I allow myself
>10-15 beats of creep.
>
>You should also keep in mind that the formulas for max heart rates and percentages thereof are not
>likely to apply to you. To know your true max heart rate, you must be tested. One final point: I
>don't buy the "run at a low HR to get faster" argument. I tried it for about 6 months, and I just
>stayed nice and slow. Lately, I'm just letting my body run at the rate at which it feels
>comfortable, and use my HR monitor as a safety check only. YMMV.

Forget HR and run at a pace at which you can easily maintain a conversation.
"AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
> my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
>
> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
>
> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
>

> Thanks,
> Art

That formula is about as useful as all the others (in other words-not at all). If it works for you,
it is a fluke to some extent.

"gentolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> the formula i use is 205-(half your age) + 5 which do you use what is your restHR i ran today 6
> mile @ 133HR @ 1:22:35 the best formula is hill test ( run up and down hill till you get highest
> reading) my data maxHR=200 restHR=40 70%=152 stop this insanity B4 it stops you plodzilla
>

> AW wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
> > mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years
> > young my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
> >
> > In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
> >
> > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Art

When did you start training?
Jonathan
"AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
> my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
>
> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
>
> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
>

> Thanks,
> Art

Ran pretty regularly 4 times a week totalling about 20-30 miles for a good 2 years. This was 3.5
years ago. My resting heart rate dropped to the low 50 bpm from the 70's. Since then it's been on
and off mainly due to the weather. I hate running in the winter on slippery wet snow covered
sidewalks.

I found a nice treadmill in the last 5 weeks and have become more regular. This means 3-4 times a
week building up from 15 miles.

I don't consider myself in training. I run to improve my conditioning, lose 10 lbs (want to get back
to 135 lbs) and feel better.

Thanks,
Art

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:19:42 +0100, "Jonathan Sydenham" <[email protected]> wrote:

>When did you start training? Jonathan "AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
>> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years
>> young my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
>>
>> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
>>
>> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Art

Sounds as if you're at least getting into training! Do you observe the same increase whether you're
on the treadmill or "in the field"? J

The heart rate monitor was a recent purchase just like the treadmill so I have not run outside. But 4 years ago the same creep occurred inside or out.

Thanks,
Art