LSD Heart Rate Question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Aw, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Aw

    Aw Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5 mph,
    my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young my 85%
    tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.

    In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!

    Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

    Thanks,
    Art

    Tags:

  2. You're not alone. My heart always feels like it's going to beat out of my chest when I drop acid
    too. Don't worry...........after 12 or 15 hours it starts to slow down.

  3. Gentolm

    Gentolm Guest

    the formula i use is 205-(half your age) + 5 which do you use what is your restHR i ran today 6 mile
    @ 133HR @ 1:22:35 the best formula is hill test ( run up and down hill till you get highest reading)
    my data maxHR=200 restHR=40 70%=152 stop this insanity B4 it stops you plodzilla

    AW wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    > mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
    > my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    >
    > In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    >
    > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Art

  4. DrLith

    DrLith Guest

    "AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    > mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
    > my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    >
    > In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    >
    > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

    Walk for a minute or two.

    And yes, it seems normal. I'm also about 12-minute miler, and I find that dropping the pace much
    below 12:30 min/mi that has diminishing returns. Right now I do long runs of about 1.5 hours every
    week, divided into 30 minute segments with a 1-2 minute walk at the end of each.

  5. Steve Hansen

    Steve Hansen Guest

    AW wrote:

    > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

    I use a heart monitor with a "zone alarm". When it beeps (indicating that my heart is going too
    fast), I slow down a little. If it's a really hot, humid day, and I'm already going about as slow as
    I can comfortably run, I walk for a little while instead of just slowing down. We get a lot of hot,
    humid days during the summer down here.

    Steve

  6. eNo

    eNo Guest

    "AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    > mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
    > my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    >
    > In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    >
    > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.

    Unfortunately, HR does not merely measure your running effort, but also relates to your body's
    cooling. Your heart is not only pumping blood & oxygen to your working muscles, but is also working
    to cool you off. As your run progresses, you get hotter, and your HR reflects the extra-cooling work
    your heart is doing. This is sometimes called "heart rate creep." Personally, I allow myself 10-15
    beats of creep.

    You should also keep in mind that the formulas for max heart rates and percentages thereof are not
    likely to apply to you. To know your true max heart rate, you must be tested. One final point: I
    don't buy the "run at a low HR to get faster" argument. I tried it for about 6 months, and I just
    stayed nice and slow. Lately, I'm just letting my body run at the rate at which it feels
    comfortable, and use my HR monitor as a safety check only. YMMV.

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º
    eNo

  7. Aw

    Aw Guest

    The cooling mechanism is the best explanation for this heart rate creep phenomenon. I certainly
    sweat profusely after 15-20 min into any run whether it is 5 or 7 mph. What I can try is improve my
    external cooling on the treadmill by using a fan. If the heart rate drops then it backs up the
    cooling notion.

    What I am hearing is a constant theme to measure rather than calculate the max heart rate. This I
    will try. Regardless of the cause, keeping the heart rate in a certain zone isn't any easier.

    Thanks,
    Art
    =========
    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:24:49 -0800, "eNo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    >> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years
    >> young my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    >>
    >> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    >>
    >> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
    >

    >Unfortunately, HR does not merely measure your running effort, but also relates to your body's
    >cooling. Your heart is not only pumping blood & oxygen to your working muscles, but is also working
    >to cool you off. As your run progresses, you get hotter, and your HR reflects the extra-cooling
    >work your heart is doing. This is sometimes called "heart rate creep." Personally, I allow myself
    >10-15 beats of creep.
    >
    >You should also keep in mind that the formulas for max heart rates and percentages thereof are not
    >likely to apply to you. To know your true max heart rate, you must be tested. One final point: I
    >don't buy the "run at a low HR to get faster" argument. I tried it for about 6 months, and I just
    >stayed nice and slow. Lately, I'm just letting my body run at the rate at which it feels
    >comfortable, and use my HR monitor as a safety check only. YMMV.

  8. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Forget HR and run at a pace at which you can easily maintain a conversation.
    "AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    > mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
    > my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    >
    > In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    >
    > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Art

  9. Sam

    Sam Guest

    That formula is about as useful as all the others (in other words-not at all). If it works for you,
    it is a fluke to some extent.

    "gentolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > the formula i use is 205-(half your age) + 5 which do you use what is your restHR i ran today 6
    > mile @ 133HR @ 1:22:35 the best formula is hill test ( run up and down hill till you get highest
    > reading) my data maxHR=200 restHR=40 70%=152 stop this insanity B4 it stops you plodzilla
    >

    > AW wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    > > mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years
    > > young my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    > >
    > > In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    > >
    > > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Art

  10. When did you start training?
    Jonathan
    "AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    > mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years young
    > my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    >
    > In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    >
    > Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Art

  11. Aw

    Aw Guest

    Ran pretty regularly 4 times a week totalling about 20-30 miles for a good 2 years. This was 3.5
    years ago. My resting heart rate dropped to the low 50 bpm from the 70's. Since then it's been on
    and off mainly due to the weather. I hate running in the winter on slippery wet snow covered
    sidewalks.

    I found a nice treadmill in the last 5 weeks and have become more regular. This means 3-4 times a
    week building up from 15 miles.

    I don't consider myself in training. I run to improve my conditioning, lose 10 lbs (want to get back
    to 135 lbs) and feel better.

    Thanks,
    Art

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:19:42 +0100, "Jonathan Sydenham" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When did you start training? Jonathan "AW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I am trying to build a running base by trying LSD using a heart rate monitor. At a leasurely 5
    >> mph, my heart rate starts at 133 bpm and gradually climbs to 166 bpm after 1 hr. At 45 years
    >> young my 85% tempo heart rate should be 167 bpm according to Runners World.
    >>
    >> In order to keep my heart rate at 145 bpm after 1 hr, I would have to drop my speed to 4 mph?!
    >>
    >> Does this seem normal? I can't imagine how to keep my heart rate down.
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >> Art

  12. Sounds as if you're at least getting into training! Do you observe the same increase whether you're
    on the treadmill or "in the field"? J

  13. Aw

    Aw Guest

    The heart rate monitor was a recent purchase just like the treadmill so I have not run outside. But 4 years ago the same creep occurred inside or out.

    Thanks,
    Art