Lube for BB insertion on ti frame and Chorus vs. Record

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lou D'Amelio, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Lou D'Amelio

    Lou D'Amelio Guest

    My Campy Chorus BB has given up the ghost at 21 k miles. Time to
    replace. Frame is titanium - should lubricant for change be anti-seize,
    regular grease , or teflon tape ? If the latter, how does one use it?
    Is it the plumber's tape you get at the Home Depot ?

    Also, how do Record and Chorus stack up for durability ? To me, it
    looks like the carbon shell on Record should affect only weight and not
    durability.

    TIA for replies.

    Lou D'Amelio

    Tags:

  2. Lou D'Amelio wrote:
    > My Campy Chorus BB has given up the ghost at 21 k miles. Time to
    > replace. Frame is titanium - should lubricant for change be
    > anti-seize, regular grease , or teflon tape ? If the latter, how does
    > one use it? Is it the plumber's tape you get at the Home Depot ?
    >
    > Also, how do Record and Chorus stack up for durability ? To me, it
    > looks like the carbon shell on Record should affect only weight and
    > not durability.
    >
    > TIA for replies.
    >
    > Lou D'Amelio

    Anti-Seize and teflon tape (plumber's tape from Home Depot) will keep you BB
    quiet and tight.

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Lou D'Amelio" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My Campy Chorus BB has given up the ghost at 21 k miles. Time to
    >replace. Frame is titanium - should lubricant for change be anti-seize,
    >regular grease , or teflon tape ? If the latter, how does one use it?
    >Is it the plumber's tape you get at the Home Depot ?

    The best way (IMHO) to prep a BB in a ti frame is to first thoroughly
    clean everything (of course), then wrap the cup threads in 3-4 layers
    of teflon tape (yes, the kind you get at HD). Slather the inside of
    the loose cup(s) with grease, slather the outside of the cups (over
    the teflon tape) with grease, and slather some on the inside of the
    bottom bracket shell (in the threads) for good measure. Install to
    torque and fuggedaboudit.

    >Also, how do Record and Chorus stack up for durability ? To me, it
    >looks like the carbon shell on Record should affect only weight and not
    >durability.

    Both are excellent - I'm kind of surprised at a failure after only
    27,000 miles. My own Chorus BB has a LOT more miles than that, most
    of 'em along the ocean and plenty of 'em in the rain. OTOH, I'm only
    about 150-155 pounds and not a power sprinter. I seem to recall some
    sort of issues with the first generation of Record carbon BBs, but
    that was a long, long time ago - I haven't had any complaints about
    them. At all.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  4. Ron Ruff

    Ron Ruff Guest

    > The best way (IMHO) to prep a BB in a ti frame is to first thoroughly
    > clean everything (of course), then wrap the cup threads in 3-4 layers
    > of teflon tape (yes, the kind you get at HD). Slather the inside of
    > the loose cup(s) with grease, slather the outside of the cups (over
    > the teflon tape) with grease, and slather some on the inside of the
    > bottom bracket shell (in the threads) for good measure. Install to
    > torque and fuggedaboudit.

    You don't use anti-seize on your Ti frames? Or was that the "grease"
    you were refering to? Just curious... I have a Ti frame now, and wonder
    what is best.

    -Ron

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> The best way (IMHO) to prep a BB in a ti frame is to first thoroughly
    >> clean everything (of course), then wrap the cup threads in 3-4 layers
    >> of teflon tape (yes, the kind you get at HD). Slather the inside of
    >> the loose cup(s) with grease, slather the outside of the cups (over
    >> the teflon tape) with grease, and slather some on the inside of the
    >> bottom bracket shell (in the threads) for good measure. Install to
    >> torque and fuggedaboudit.

    >You don't use anti-seize on your Ti frames? Or was that the "grease"
    >you were refering to? Just curious... I have a Ti frame now, and wonder
    >what is best.

    I've never used anti-seize on BB's, and never had any issue with
    anything seizing. A-S *IS* a good idea on applications where titanium
    fasteners are screwed into titanium threads, where there will be
    significant friction between the surfaces. Ti on ti contact can lead
    to "virtually welded interfaces" in that situation, but not IME on an
    aluminum/titanium interface in a BB shell, providing there is a good
    coat of grease.

    A-S won't hurt anything either, and I suppose would give you more
    margin - but I think it's unnecessary.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  6. Mark Hickey wrote:
    > "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> The best way (IMHO) to prep a BB in a ti frame is to first
    >>> thoroughly clean everything (of course), then wrap the cup threads
    >>> in 3-4 layers of teflon tape (yes, the kind you get at HD).
    >>> Slather the inside of the loose cup(s) with grease, slather the
    >>> outside of the cups (over the teflon tape) with grease, and slather
    >>> some on the inside of the bottom bracket shell (in the threads) for
    >>> good measure. Install to torque and fuggedaboudit.

    >> You don't use anti-seize on your Ti frames? Or was that the "grease"
    >> you were refering to? Just curious... I have a Ti frame now, and
    >> wonder what is best.

    > I've never used anti-seize on BB's, and never had any issue with
    > anything seizing. A-S *IS* a good idea on applications where titanium
    > fasteners are screwed into titanium threads, where there will be
    > significant friction between the surfaces. Ti on ti contact can lead
    > to "virtually welded interfaces" in that situation, but not IME on an
    > aluminum/titanium interface in a BB shell, providing there is a good
    > coat of grease.
    >
    > A-S won't hurt anything either, and I suppose would give you more
    > margin - but I think it's unnecessary.

    I used anti-seize on my alu-framed, steel BB cup bike and it was quiet,
    until it dried. I rode a little bit for a day in the dry, but by the next
    day, good lord I had never heard such creaking in my entire life! I had to
    clean every bit of that anti-seize out and use regular grease.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. Lou D'Amelio wrote:
    > My Campy Chorus BB has given up the ghost at 21 k miles. Time to
    > replace. Frame is titanium - should lubricant for change be anti-seize,
    > regular grease , or teflon tape ?

    Grease or Antisieze, either one. Teflon tape can be added but not
    subsituted for a 'lube'.

    If the latter, how does one use it?
    > Is it the plumber's tape you get at the Home Depot ?
    >
    > Also, how do Record and Chorus stack up for durability ?

    Genrrally take away the titanium bits in the brake calipers, rear der,
    front der, the carbon cage of the ders, and you get Chorus. Durability
    is the same thruout the Campag line since the working guts is all the
    same thru Mirage.

    To me, it
    > looks like the carbon shell on Record should affect only weight and not
    > durability.

    Carbon shell of the BB is a crud guard only. The BB spindle on Record
    is a lighter, two piece, welded in the center, oversized, affair to
    make it lighter. The bearings are the same.