Lube for ceramic jockey wheel bearings

Mike Rocket J.

Guest
My Ultegra RD's jockey wheels started squealing a couple
weeks ago. I applied what I had on hand, some Boeshield,
which quieted them down. But I wonder what is considered an
appropriate lube for these ceramic bearings.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 -- the
Wonderbus (AKA the Saunabus in summer) KG6RCR

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:52:05 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My Ultegra RD's jockey wheels started squealing a couple
>weeks ago. I applied what I had on hand, some Boeshield,
>which quieted them down. But I wonder what is considered an
>appropriate lube for these ceramic bearings.

Dear Mike,

Assuming an oiled chain, we'd better hope that chain oil is
an acceptable lube for the pulleys that the chain runs over.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:52:05 -0700, "Mike Rocket J.
> Squirrel Elliott"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>My Ultegra RD's jockey wheels started squealing a couple
>>weeks ago. I applied what I had on hand, some Boeshield,
>>which quieted them down. But I wonder what is considered
>>an appropriate lube for these ceramic bearings.
>

> Dear Mike,
>
> Assuming an oiled chain, we'd better hope that chain oil
> is an acceptable lube for the pulleys that the chain
> runs over.
>
> Carl Fogel

Good point.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 -- the
Wonderbus (AKA the Saunabus in summer) KG6RCR

michael-<< My Ultegra RD's jockey wheels started squealing a
couple weeks ago. I applied what I had on hand, some
Boeshield, which quieted them down. But I wonder what is
considered an appropriate lube for these ceramic bearings.
>><BR><BR>

Take 'em apart and use grease-

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:48:09 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:52:05 -0700, "Mike Rocket J.
>> Squirrel Elliott"
>> <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>My Ultegra RD's jockey wheels started squealing a couple
>>>weeks ago. I applied what I had on hand, some Boeshield,
>>>which quieted them down. But I wonder what is considered
>>>an appropriate lube for these ceramic bearings.
>>

>> Dear Mike,
>>
>> Assuming an oiled chain, we'd better hope that chain oil
>> is an acceptable lube for the pulleys that the chain
>> runs over.
>>
>> Carl Fogel
>
>Good point.

Good point if the chain is actually oiled, but what about
all the people who use something like White Lightning or
some other wax based lube. Also, even if the chain is oiled,
by what mechanism does the oil find its way into the ceramic
bushing? There are those little rubber seals that are
supposed to keep dirt (and other stuff, like oil?) from
penetrating the bushing.

To get back to the original question, I use motor oil. About
every other time I clean and rewax a chain I remove the
jockey wheels, clean them thoroughly, lube the bushings with
a drop of Mobil 1, and replace. Some of my jockey wheels
have lasted tens of thousands of miles.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:56:57 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:48:09 -0700, "Mike Rocket J.
>Squirrel Elliott"
><[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>> On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:52:05 -0700, "Mike Rocket J.
>>> Squirrel Elliott"
>>> <[email protected]>

>>> Dear Mike,
>>>
>>> Assuming an oiled chain, we'd better hope that chain oil
>>> is an acceptable lube for the pulleys that the chain
>>> runs over.
>>>
>>> Carl Fogel
>>
>>Good point.
>
>Good point if the chain is actually oiled, but what about
>all the people who use something like White Lightning or
>some other wax based lube. Also, even if the chain is
>oiled, by what mechanism does the oil find its way into the
>ceramic bushing? There are those little rubber seals that
>are supposed to keep dirt (and other stuff, like oil?) from
>penetrating the bushing.
>
>To get back to the original question, I use motor oil.
>About every other time I clean and rewax a chain I remove
>the jockey wheels, clean them thoroughly, lube the bushings
>with a drop of Mobil 1, and replace. Some of my jockey
>wheels have lasted tens of thousands of miles.
>

>jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
>http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dear John,

If oil were somehow bad for ceramic bearings, it's unlikely
that they would be used near bicycle chains. I may be
mistaken, but I think that chain wax is used by a small
minority of riders compared to oil.

An oil film might reduce the anti-friction qualities of a
dry ceramic bearing, but I suspect that there's no practical
difference on bicycle chain pulleys for two reasons.

First, there's scarcely any pulley drag discernable by a
rider, so any slight increase or reduction is probably on
the order of trimming your moustache to reduce wind drag.

Second, the road doesn't provide lab conditions, so there
will be dust in the bearing. The seals on pulleys are
unlikely to be true seals. That is, I expect that they're
just rubber washers that mean well, but which are not true
seals--if you open the bearings after a month of riding, I
expect that they'll be noticeably dirty and oily.

Peter's suggestion to use grease seems quite reasonable. I
was startled by his warning that the rubber seals may cause
the pulleys to unscrew

Since pulley gears on bicycles are free-spinning idlers,
their bearings should last remarkably well. Plastic pulley
gears eventually wear to to wicked points under steel chains
covered with road dust.

Out of curiosity, why do you oil your pulley bearings
instead of waxing them like your chain? I'm not arguing wax
versus oil, just wondering if there's something besides
habit or convenience involved. Have you ever tried wax in
the pulleys?

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:56:57 GMT, John Everett
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:48:09 -0700, "Mike Rocket J.
>> Squirrel Elliott"
>> <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> Good point.

>> Good point if the chain is actually oiled, but what about
>> all the people who use something like White Lightning or
>> some other wax based lube. Also, even if the chain is
>> oiled, by what mechanism does the oil find its way into
>> the ceramic bushing? There are those little rubber seals
>> that are supposed to keep dirt (and other stuff, like
>> oil?) from penetrating the bushing.

>> To get back to the original question, I use motor oil.
>> About every other time I clean and rewax a chain I remove
>> the jockey wheels, clean them thoroughly, lube the
>> bushings with a drop of Mobil 1, and replace. Some of my
>> jockey wheels have lasted tens of thousands of miles.

> If oil were somehow bad for ceramic bearings, it's
> unlikely that they would be used near bicycle chains. I
> may be mistaken, but I think that chain wax is used by a
> small minority of riders compared to oil.

> An oil film might reduce the anti-friction qualities of a
> dry ceramic bearing, but I suspect that there's no
> practical difference on bicycle chain pulleys for two
> reasons.

> First, there's scarcely any pulley drag discernable by a
> rider, so any slight increase or reduction is probably on
> the order of trimming your moustache to reduce wind drag.

> Second, the road doesn't provide lab conditions, so there
> will be dust in the bearing. The seals on pulleys are
> unlikely to be true seals. That is, I expect that they're
> just rubber washers that mean well, but which are not true
> seals--if you open the bearings after a month of riding, I
> expect that they'll be noticeably dirty and oily.

> Peter's suggestion to use grease seems quite reasonable. I
> was startled by his warning that the rubber seals may
> cause the pulleys to unscrew

> Since pulley gears on bicycles are free-spinning idlers,
> their bearings should last remarkably well. Plastic pulley
> gears eventually wear to to wicked points under steel
> chains covered with road dust.

> Out of curiosity, why do you oil your pulley bearings
> instead of waxing them like your chain? I'm not arguing
> wax versus oil, just wondering if there's something
> besides habit or convenience involved. Have you ever tried
> wax in the pulleys?

On my mountain bike, the pulleys frequently get gunked up
and don't spin freely. Dirt and oil mixture from the chain
gets washed in there. This is usually the culprit when I
have shifting problems. These days I wind up cleaning my
pulleys every time I do my chain. Not so with the (Ultegra)
road bike -- in 6 months haven't had to clean them yet.

I thought ceramic pulleys were supposed to be self-
lubricating. My XT pulleys have little white ceramic
bushings. ISTR Shimano making a fuss about these being
maintenance free when they came out. I'm sure lube doesn't
hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.

It seems to me all you need to do with your pulleys is keep
them clean. Otherwise, grease seems most appropriate, as
Peter suggests.

Matt O.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:44:34 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:56:57 GMT, John Everett
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>To get back to the original question, I use motor oil.
>>About every other time I clean and rewax a chain I remove
>>the jockey wheels, clean them thoroughly, lube the
>>bushings with a drop of Mobil 1, and replace. Some of my
>>jockey wheels have lasted tens of thousands of miles.
>
>Out of curiosity, why do you oil your pulley bearings
>instead of waxing them like your chain? I'm not arguing wax
>versus oil, just wondering if there's something besides
>habit or convenience involved. Have you ever tried wax in
>the pulleys?

Perhaps I'm a bit of a retro-grouch but I still hot wax my
chains, at least on my road bikes. (I do use White Lightning
on my MTB and touring bike.) I'm more interested in
cleanliness than lubricity. I'd rather have a somewhat
inferior lubricant in my rollers than a slurry of road grit
and oil, but I'm enough of a realist to know that oil is a
better lubricant than wax. This is why I use oil on my
jockey wheel bushings.

BTW, like Peter I also discard the rubber seals. I didn't
mention that in my pervious post in this thread because I
don't expect most cyclists are as anal about cleaning and
relubing their jockey wheels as I (and perhaps Peter) am.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:44:34 -0600,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:56:57 GMT, John Everett
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >>To get back to the original question, I use motor oil.
> >>About every other time I clean and rewax a chain I
> >>remove the jockey wheels, clean them thoroughly, lube
> >>the bushings with a drop of Mobil 1, and replace. Some
> >>of my jockey wheels have lasted tens of thousands of
> >>miles.
> >
> >Out of curiosity, why do you oil your pulley bearings
> >instead of waxing them like your chain? I'm not arguing
> >wax versus oil, just wondering if there's something
> >besides habit or convenience involved. Have you ever
> >tried wax in the pulleys?
>
> Perhaps I'm a bit of a retro-grouch but I still hot wax my
> chains, at least on my road bikes. (I do use White
> Lightning on my MTB and touring bike.) I'm more interested
> in cleanliness than lubricity. I'd rather have a somewhat
> inferior lubricant in my rollers than a slurry of road
> grit and oil, but I'm enough of a realist to know that oil
> is a better lubricant than wax. This is why I use oil on
> my jockey wheel bushings.

I use a minimal amount of Phils, wipe my chain down, and I
have no slurry of road grit and oil.

Greg

John Everett wrote:
> I didn't mention that in my pervious post in this thread
> because I don't
expect most
> cyclists are as anal about cleaning and relubing their
> jockey wheels

Please don't use pervious and anal in the same sentence.

Bill "not to mention jockeys & lubing" S.

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
<[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> My Ultegra RD's jockey wheels started squealing a couple
> weeks ago. I applied what I had on hand, some Boeshield,
> which quieted them down. But I wonder what is considered
> an appropriate lube for these ceramic bearings.
>
> --
> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 -- the
> Wonderbus (AKA the Saunabus in summer) KG6RCR

I have a small tube of 100% teflon left over from the mid-
90s that I shoot in my pulleys. Seems to work.

If you don't have any of that, I'd say pretty much anything
heavier than Triflow should work.

SDMike wrote:

> "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:U6GdnaHLiMp4ijTdRVn-
> [email protected]...
>
>>My Ultegra RD's jockey wheels started squealing a couple
>>weeks ago. I applied what I had on hand, some Boeshield,
>>which quieted them down. But I wonder what is considered
>>an appropriate lube for these ceramic bearings.
>>
>>--
>>Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 VW Type 2 -- the
>>Wonderbus (AKA the Saunabus in summer) KG6RCR
>

> I have a small tube of 100% teflon left over from the mid-
> 90s that I shoot in my pulleys. Seems to work.
>
> If you don't have any of that, I'd say pretty much
> anything heavier than Triflow should work.

Righty-o SDMike
--
Carlsbad Mike (Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott)