lubeing chainwheel/sprocket teeth?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In a bike magazine maintainance article I read some time ago it suggested changing through all the
    gears whilst lubricating a chain in order to get lube on the teeth of the cassette sprockets and
    chainwheels. I had not come across this before and was wondering if there is any wisdom is applying
    lube to sprocket/chainwheel teeth or not.

    Thanks for any thoughts, Paul

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > In a bike magazine maintainance article I read some time ago it suggested changing through all the
    > gears whilst lubricating a chain in order to get lube on the teeth of the cassette sprockets and
    > chainwheels. I had not come across this before and was wondering if there is any wisdom is
    > applying lube to sprocket/chainwheel teeth or not.

    I would avoid this, as all it does is put oil all over the place, which attracts dirt. A little oil
    on these parts is helpful. I just noticed a big imrovement in shifting smoothness when going back to
    oil from a waxy lube (Boeshield). I wipe my chain before riding to keep dirt from sticking, but even
    then the film that's left is plenty.

    In fact it's quicker and easier to put a drop of oil on each link, than to quickly stream it on the
    chain, and then wipe the excess from everywhere that it doesn't belong.

    Matt O.

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks for the thoughts. I wasn't sure that lube on the chainwheels was a good idea, particularly
    now in the summer with lots of dust around.

    I've tried wax and dry teflon lubes and must say that I prefer oil too.

    Thanks again, Paul.