Lubing Campy Record Hubs

trevor-<< I'm still not convinced about Campag's instructions to grease. I
grease a
frying pan with oil. Campag's use of the word I expect is similar. >><BR><BR>

ya think a new Campagnolo hub comes with oil in it? Open one up and tell me
what that white stuff in there is.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>trevor-<< I'm still not convinced about Campag's instructions to grease. I
>grease a
>frying pan with oil. Campag's use of the word I expect is similar.
>><BR><BR>

>ya think a new Campagnolo hub comes with oil in it? Open one up and tell me
>what that white stuff in there is.

They would not want oil dripped all over their presentation package, would
they?

Trevor

"Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
> <[email protected]>...
> >trevor-<< I'm still not convinced about Campag's instructions to grease.

> >grease a
> >frying pan with oil. Campag's use of the word I expect is similar.
> >><BR><BR>

> >ya think a new Campagnolo hub comes with oil in it? Open one up and tell

me
> >what that white stuff in there is.
> >

> They would not want oil dripped all over their presentation package, would
> they?
>
> Trevor

I remember speaking with a Campagnolo representative years ago when the
older Record hubs were in fashion. He said to use Campagnolo grease only,
and actually gave me a free tube. As I recall, it's thinner than the grease
that I have seen bike mechanics use and it was indeed white. I have tried
using the Campagnolo grease in the past, but got better protection and
longer wear on the bearings/race with just 30w motor oil, plus at that time
I was on a tight budget. I also remember racers would use a fine oil, and
believe it or not, sometimes run them dry with one ball removed. You could
actually hear the balls drop as you spun the wheel slowly. I never had the
guts to run them dry or with a thin oil.
I'm not sure about the newer Campagnolo hubs, Peter would be the expert on
that.
-tom

"Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
> <[email protected]>...
> >trevor-<< I'm still not convinced about Campag's instructions to grease.

> >grease a
> >frying pan with oil. Campag's use of the word I expect is similar.
> >><BR><BR>

> >ya think a new Campagnolo hub comes with oil in it? Open one up and tell

me
> >what that white stuff in there is.
> >

> They would not want oil dripped all over their presentation package, would
> they?
>
> Trevor

I remember speaking with a Campagnolo representative years ago when the
older Record hubs were in fashion. He said to use Campagnolo grease only,
and actually gave me a free tube. As I recall, it's thinner than the grease
that I have seen bike mechanics use and it was indeed white. I have tried
using the Campagnolo grease in the past, but got better protection and
longer wear on the bearings/race with just 30w motor oil, plus at that time
I was on a tight budget. I also remember racers would use a fine oil, and
believe it or not, sometimes run them dry with one ball removed. You could
actually hear the balls drop as you spun the wheel slowly. I never had the
guts to run them dry or with a thin oil.
I'm not sure about the newer Campagnolo hubs, Peter would be the expert on
that.
-tom

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:59:55 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
>> <[email protected]>...
>> >trevor-<< I'm still not convinced about Campag's instructions to grease.

>> >grease a
>> >frying pan with oil. Campag's use of the word I expect is similar.
>> >
>> >ya think a new Campagnolo hub comes with oil in it? Open one up and tell

>me
>> >what that white stuff in there is.
>> >

>> They would not want oil dripped all over their presentation package, would
>> they?
>>
>> Trevor

>I remember speaking with a Campagnolo representative years ago when the
>older Record hubs were in fashion. He said to use Campagnolo grease only,
>and actually gave me a free tube. As I recall, it's thinner than the grease
>that I have seen bike mechanics use and it was indeed white. I have tried
>using the Campagnolo grease in the past, but got better protection and
>longer wear on the bearings/race with just 30w motor oil, plus at that time
>I was on a tight budget. I also remember racers would use a fine oil, and
>believe it or not, sometimes run them dry with one ball removed. You could
>actually hear the balls drop as you spun the wheel slowly. I never had the
>guts to run them dry or with a thin oil.
> I'm not sure about the newer Campagnolo hubs, Peter would be the expert on
>that.
>-tom

Dear Tom,

Do you know whether these racers removed one ball and all
the lubricant to save weight or to eliminate viscous drag?

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear Tom,
>
> Do you know whether these racers removed one ball and all
> the lubricant to save weight or to eliminate viscous drag?
>
> Carl Fogel

Carl,
back in the days of friction shifters and sprouting brake cables on the
hoods, the Campagnolo Record hubs were the finest around...I'm sure you may
recall. The races were hardened and polished with grade 25 ball bearings.
Normandy, Mavic, Shimano, or Avocet wouldn't even come close to the
performance of the Campy Record Hub. I remember having contests to see how
long we could spin the front wheel before it stopped. One could do only so
much to eliminate weight off a steel frame bike back then, that the second
option was getting the balls adjustment to perfection on the hubs. Another
contest we would perform is starting on a hill with another person holding
the rider and letting go, we would time ourselves without pedaling covering
an 1/8 mi. distance with our analog stopwatches. We were young and goofy in
high school, as we got our first taste of Italian bicycles (paper route
money well spent). I still believe the older Campagnolo Record hubs are the
finest ball bearing hubs made. I still have a set as well as the older
Campagnolo Record components on my Reynolds 531 frame and could use this in
the article: "If I could only have one bike, what would it be?"

One of my friends, David Faust, also an ex-racer who trained with Greg
LeMond, told me that they would remove one ball bearing and run them dry
during a race. Of course he said adjustment had to be perfect. He would
spin the wheel very slowly, such that you could hear the balls drop against
each-other, not to save weight but to eliminate drag..."let see you do that
with grease?" Some racers would use a light coat of 3&1 sewing machine oil.
-tom