Lubing Derailleur Cables (Steps?)

SUPER RIDER

Nov 29, 2004
Hello All, I am trying to learn how to lube my derailleur cables, as I have never done it before.

Can you guys please lay out a step by step procedure for lubing my derailleur cables?

Also, does one ever need to lube brake cables? If yes, how?

Thanks for all responses.

Regards,

Super

SUPER RIDER said:
Hello All, I am trying to learn how to lube my derailleur cables, as I have never done it before.

Can you guys please lay out a step by step procedure for lubing my derailleur cables?

Also, does one ever need to lube brake cables? If yes, how?

Thanks for all responses.

Regards,

Super
If the cable housing has a teflon liner, a good way to lube is with a teflon spray (such as Tri-Flow) that you spray into the housing. For unlined housings, a good quality grease is best. Apply it to the cable prior to threading through the housing. Wipe of exposed sections, as this just attracts dirt. The small amount of lube that sticks to the cable after wiping will prevent rust/corrosion.

The procedure for derailleur cables and brake cables is the same. And yes they should both be lubed. The frequency depends on your riding conditions and mileage, but once a year is probably reasonable, more often if you ride a lot or frequently in wet conditions.