Lubing Ergo Levers

Paul Kopit

Guest
The right one gets lubed when the springs or carrier need replacement
but the left shifter rarely needs to be disassembled. Is it necessary
to lube that shifter and what do you lube?

I live in SoCal and rarely get rained on.

Paul Kopit wrote:
> The right one gets lubed when the springs or carrier need replacement
> but the left shifter rarely needs to be disassembled. Is it

necessary
> to lube that shifter and what do you lube?
>
> I live in SoCal and rarely get rained on.

Get some WD-40 like lubricant and spray it into the internals of the
lever until it drips out the bottom. Then spray a bit more for good
measure. Done.

I say WD-40 like because officially WD-40 is not a lubricant, but a
water displacer or something. So get some other lubricant that comes
in a can like WD-40 with the red nozzle and use it instead. Cost about
$1.79.

Peel back your hoods on the levers.

On in top-inside of the lever, there's a small lube hole.
I squirt FinishLine Century lube into mine every 6 months or so, while
working the levers.
Runs out the bottom, so make sure you have something under them.

They sounds and shift like new after this application.

My first set for my rain bike went 7 years before they needed rebuilding,
given this lube schedule.

-pete

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] wrote:
> Paul Kopit wrote:
>> The right one gets lubed when the springs or carrier need replacement
>> but the left shifter rarely needs to be disassembled. Is it
>> necessary to lube that shifter

Not really, but perhaps some extra lube might keep it working well for
longer?

>> and what do you lube?
>>
>> I live in SoCal and rarely get rained on.

Rain doesn't bother them anyway.

> Get some WD-40 like lubricant and spray it into the internals of the
> lever until it drips out the bottom. Then spray a bit more for good
> measure. Done.
>
> I say WD-40 like because officially WD-40 is not a lubricant, but a
> water displacer or something. So get some other lubricant that comes
> in a can like WD-40 with the red nozzle and use it instead. Cost
> about $1.79.

Thin stuff like WD-40 also acts as a degreaser and Ergo parts are greased!
So either leave them alone or inject grease down the little holes in the
body.

~PB

I've never lubed my Ergo shifters in the 6 years I've had them. They
still work like new. There's enough stuff to do with bikes that you
don't have to look for things to futz with.

Pual-<< The right one gets lubed when the springs or carrier need replacement
but the left shifter rarely needs to be disassembled. Is it necessary
to lube that shifter and what do you lube? >><BR><BR>

It's got grease in there, No need to do anything.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Russell-<< Get some WD-40 like lubricant and spray it into the internals of the
lever until it drips out the bottom. Then spray a bit more for good
measure. Done. >><BR><BR>

BAD idea for ERGO. Lots of grease in there and the design means it doesn't get
sludged up like STI. WD-=40 will wash all the grease out. Best is to take
apart, clean/grease, put together but for Paul in SoCal...nuthin really needed.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

A Muzi wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> teflon wax your waffle iron

> Please hit that translator more often. Thanks.

Then you might get "My hovercraft is full of eels!"

Mark Janeba

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote:

> Pual-<< The right one gets lubed when the springs or carrier need replacement
> but the left shifter rarely needs to be disassembled. Is it necessary
> to lube that shifter and what do you lube? >><BR><BR>
>
> It's got grease in there, No need to do anything.

i've had three sets of ergo in the past 10 years or so, and the left
lever on all three (record, chorus, record) has had the same problem(s):

the pivot for the button gets gunked up with salt, leading to
downshifts that never happen. i have to get in there with a
little light oil and work it in every month or so or it'll
completely freeze up. NEVER happens on the right (probably
because that side gets more of a workout).

ditto for the QR sliding button. you have a flat and need to
pop open the brakes, but that thing is like it's WELDED in
place. more light oil, more time working it back and forth.
i let one go for several months and when i finally needed to
use it i ended up having to use wd-40 & a ball peen hammer to
get it loose.