lubing SPD's update

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., May 16, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll never let them dry out again,
    that was scary and painful

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Penny S. wrote:
    > ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll never let them dry out again,
    > that was scary and painful
    >
    > Penny

    Pretty soon you'll be ready to upgrade to platforms ;)

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll
    never
    > > let them dry out again, that was scary and painful
    > >
    > > Penny
    > >

    > Pretty soon you'll be ready to upgrade to platforms ;)

    One thing platforms can NOT offer is the ability to pull up on the pedal, while pushing down on the
    other. I find this helpful on climbs, and is only possible with clipless pedals or toe-clips. Yes
    clipless are NOT for everybody though...

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Zilla thoughtfully penned:
    > "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Penny S. wrote:
    >>> ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll never let them dry out
    >>> again, that was scary and painful
    >>>
    >>> Penny
    >>>

    >> Pretty soon you'll be ready to upgrade to platforms ;)
    >>

    > One thing platforms can NOT offer is the ability to pull up on the pedal, while pushing down on
    > the other. I find this helpful on climbs, and is only possible with clipless pedals or toe-clips.
    > Yes clipless are NOT for everybody though...

    righto... and you know how much I actually like to climb. At least on some days...

    Penny

  5. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Penny S. wrote:
    >>
    >>>...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll
    >
    > never
    >
    >>>let them dry out again, that was scary and painful
    >>>
    >>>Penny
    >>>

    >>Pretty soon you'll be ready to upgrade to platforms ;)
    >>

    > One thing platforms can NOT offer is the ability to pull up on the pedal, while pushing down on
    > the other. I find this helpful on climbs, and is only possible with clipless pedals or toe-clips.
    > Yes clipless are NOT for everybody though...

    True true, not everyone lives in the flat-as-a-pancake midwest. I stopped riding clipless sometime
    last year and found that platforms opened a whole new world of fun on the bike.

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll never let them dry out again,
    > that was scary and painful
    >
    > Penny

    Glad that did the trick. But watch out for those worn cleats! They generally start releasing easier
    and easier, then suddenly you're locked in!

    Mike

  7. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Penny S. wrote:
    > > ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll
    never
    > > let them dry out again, that was scary and painful
    > >
    > > Penny
    > >

    > Pretty soon you'll be ready to upgrade to platforms ;)

    An "upgrade", huh? As with food, beer and wine, just because you have different tastes doesn't make
    those tastes any better or worse than mine.

    I've ridden with both platforms and clipless... you can keep the platforms - all they did for me was
    get hung up on stuff that the more compact clipless pedals easily cleared.

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    KLydesdale <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Penny S. wrote:
    > > > ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll
    > never
    > > > let them dry out again, that was scary and painful
    > > >
    > > > Penny
    > > >

    > > Pretty soon you'll be ready to upgrade to platforms ;)
    > >

    > An "upgrade", huh? As with food, beer and wine, just because you have different tastes doesn't
    > make those tastes any better or worse than mine.

    Of course it does! People who ride clipless couldn't 'taste' the difference between gourmet duck
    liver pate and cat shit.

    > I've ridden with both platforms and clipless... you can keep the
    platforms -

    Of course I can.

    > all they did for me was get hung up on stuff that the more compact
    clipless
    > pedals easily cleared.

    That's just clumsy riding Keith.

    Shaun aRe

  9. Penny S. wrote:
    > ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do.

    ;-)

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:26:41 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll never let them dry out again,
    >that was scary and painful
    >
    >Penny

    Penny, I've never used lube on any of my pedals. I skimmed through your previous thread and found it
    interesting that you were having clip out problems that you thought were due to lack of lube.

    I'm not sure that's the root cause so to speak.

    There was a response to your originals question that mentioned worn cleats. I'd check into that
    before lube.

    Also, what exactly are you lubing? Not sure what kind of peds you have, but perhaps you have some
    debris in the spring that loads the clip pressure. If they're good clipless peds they shouldn't rust
    or need lube. Perhaps a good cleaning is in order?

    Obviously from your post you fixed your problem, but are you sure it was the lube?

    For various reasons I'd stay away from lubing pedals if a good cleaning will suffice.

    Oh yeah, don't listen to JD and start using flats....What could that Barney possibly know about
    Mountain biking?

    :-]

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:26:08 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >KLydesdale <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> never

    >> > Pretty soon you'll be ready to upgrade to platforms ;)
    >> >

    >> An "upgrade", huh? As with food, beer and wine, just because you have different tastes doesn't
    >> make those tastes any better or worse than mine.
    >
    >Of course it does! People who ride clipless couldn't 'taste' the difference between gourmet duck
    >liver pate and cat shit.
    >
    >> I've ridden with both platforms and clipless... you can keep the
    >platforms -
    >
    >Of course I can.
    >
    >> all they did for me was get hung up on stuff that the more compact
    >clipless
    >> pedals easily cleared.
    >
    >That's just clumsy riding Keith.
    >

    >Shaun aRe

    Oh, how I love these "Rim shots".

    :-]

  12. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bill Wheeler thoughtfully penned:
    > On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:26:41 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> ...amazing what a few drops of lube in the right places can do. I'll never let them dry out
    >> again, that was scary and painful
    >>
    >> Penny
    >>

    > Penny, I've never used lube on any of my pedals. I skimmed through your previous thread and found
    > it interesting that you were having clip out problems that you thought were due to lack of lube.
    >
    > I'm not sure that's the root cause so to speak.
    >
    > There was a response to your originals question that mentioned worn cleats. I'd check into that
    > before lube.
    >
    > Also, what exactly are you lubing? Not sure what kind of peds you have, but perhaps you have some
    > debris in the spring that loads the clip pressure. If they're good clipless peds they shouldn't
    > rust or need lube. Perhaps a good cleaning is in order?
    >
    > Obviously from your post you fixed your problem, but are you sure it was the lube?

    Yes

    OK I have some kind of fancy-schmancy light expensice SPD"s that came with the bike. All I know is
    that a few drops of chainlube on the pivots ONLY and it madea world of difference. Granted, I'd nver
    put a drop of lube on them since I got the bike, and then with all the mud hosing that's what they
    seemed to need...they are releasing nice and easy now, just the way I like them too. As compared to
    having to do a tree stop and pry your shoe out.

    Penny

  13. Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OK I have some kind of fancy-schmancy light expensice SPD"s that came with the bike. All I know is
    > that a few drops of chainlube on the pivots ONLY and it madea world of difference. Granted, I'd
    > nver put a drop of lube on them since I got the bike, and then with all the mud hosing that's what
    > they seemed to need...they are releasing nice and easy now, just the way I like them too. As
    > compared to having to do a tree stop and pry your shoe out.

    I agree, the pair of SPDs on my rain commuter became stiffer to click out of, even though I have the
    tension set really low. A bit of oil on the pivot axle which the springs are wrapped around cured
    it. Lubing things is good. Even the cleat-pedal interface should not suffer if you lube it. (If it
    does, one can always crank up the tension.)

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:26:08 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >KLydesdale <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    I'll
    > >> never

    > >> An "upgrade", huh? As with food, beer and wine, just because you have different tastes doesn't
    > >> make those tastes any better or worse than
    mine.

    > >Of course it does! People who ride clipless couldn't 'taste' the
    difference
    > >between gourmet duck liver pate and cat shit.
    > >
    > >> I've ridden with both platforms and clipless... you can keep the
    > >platforms -
    > >
    > >Of course I can.
    > >
    > >> all they did for me was get hung up on stuff that the more compact
    > >clipless
    > >> pedals easily cleared.
    > >
    > >That's just clumsy riding Keith.
    > >

    > >Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Oh, how I love these "Rim shots".

    I'd keep that to yourself if I were you.

    Shaun aRe