Lubricate Shimano 105 Levers?

Bob C

Guest
Had a Shimano 105 triple for a while, and ridden in the wet a bit. I'm
concerned that the derailleur levers may need lubrication, - are there
any web based tutorials on lubricating these parts, or can someone
advise please.
--
Bob C

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:42:36 +1100, Bob C <patnbob@unwired> wrote:

>Had a Shimano 105 triple for a while, and ridden in the wet a bit. I'm
>concerned that the derailleur levers may need lubrication, - are there
>any web based tutorials on lubricating these parts, or can someone
>advise please.
>--
>Bob C

I have found that Triflow sort of works. I had some RSX levers that
started sticking bad. The mechanic flushed them out with some cleaner
and lubed with some oil. That let me finish the tour but the levers
were not super smooth. Later I disassembled the shifting assembly,
cleaned and greased and reassembled. I took pictures as I was taking
it apart. As it was I missed some critical pictures that slowed down
my reassembly. Most people never get the mechanism back together as
Shimano does not sell service parts. If you lose any parts you are out
of luck. You do not want to take apart the assembly in a room with
carpet, messy floor or cluttered workbench. The reassembled shifter
worked great with fresh grease. A lot smoother than when they were
lubed with TriFlow.

If the shifters works good now I would do nothing. I believe that just
about anythng you do will wash out the factory grease which will
result in worse shifting than you have. Of course internet opinions
are sometimes worthless than you paid for the opinion.

Campy does sell replacement shifter parts which is a plus.

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:42:36 +1100, Bob C <patnbob@unwired> wrote:

>Had a Shimano 105 triple for a while, and ridden in the wet a bit. I'm
>concerned that the derailleur levers may need lubrication, - are there
>any web based tutorials on lubricating these parts, or can someone
>advise please.
>--
>Bob C

I have found that Triflow sort of works. I had some RSX levers that
started sticking bad. The mechanic flushed them out with some cleaner
and lubed with some oil. That let me finish the tour but the levers
were not super smooth. Later I disassembled the shifting assembly,
cleaned and greased and reassembled. I took pictures as I was taking
it apart. As it was I missed some critical pictures that slowed down
my reassembly. Most people never get the mechanism back together as
Shimano does not sell service parts. If you lose any parts you are out
of luck. You do not want to take apart the assembly in a room with
carpet, messy floor or cluttered workbench. The reassembled shifter
worked great with fresh grease. A lot smoother than when they were
lubed with TriFlow.

If the shifters works good now I would do nothing. I believe that just
about anythng you do will wash out the factory grease which will
result in worse shifting than you have. Of course internet opinions
are sometimes worthless than you paid for the opinion.

Campy does sell replacement shifter parts which is a plus.

Finish Line dry lube teflon with wax gives a solvent for penetration
then a somewhat lasting lube for slowly sliding surfaces; stays
relatively clean on the road CRC HD silicone is available at the auto
discount and Walmort.
the grips are lubed when the bike is upside down for end of cable FL
lube squirts and deray synth oil lube.
The master mechanic said I'm the only person he ever saw do that.
On '87 Diacompes. One Diacompes cross shaft snapped in two. ???
Cane Creek resin grips are there now, I lube more conscientiously.
You can see when the stuff dries out or skims out too thin, if you
look.
keep a log and calender - on the desktop?

Bob C wrote:
> Had a Shimano 105 triple for a while, and ridden in the wet a bit. I'm
> concerned that the derailleur levers may need lubrication, - are there
> any web based tutorials on lubricating these parts, or can someone
> advise please.

Boeshield seems to do the job pretty well. My wife's Ultegra STI levers
have been resurrected a couple of times by squirting Boeshield into the
mechanism on the workstand and working the gears back and forth. Use the
attachment for the nozzle so that you can pinpoint the spray.