Lubricating a treadmill belt

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Josho, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Josho

Josho Guest

My wife and I own a treadmill -- a Nordictrak (Proform) with a carpeted belt. We use it at least 3
    times a week (alternating days with a recumbent bike).

Well, I need to lubricate the belt at least every 6 months. The usual procedure for this is to
    squirt the supplied lubricant between the belt and the deck.

The problem is this: the lubricant seems outrageously expensive. It comes in a tiny vial, good for a
    single use, and it costs over $10. I suspect that it's probably something that's widely available,
    and no doubt for a much more sane price.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the proper lubricant might be.

Thanks in advance for any good info...

Josh

Tags:

2. White Lithium spray lube from the hardware or auto parts store. Use it often and try to get as much
    cleaned off before adding more each time. I have been using it on my treadmill that gets a lot more
    work than yours (I also lube it a lot more often) and it has worked fine for 7 years now. Only
    problem was an electronic control problem.

--
    Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My wife and I own a treadmill -- a Nordictrak (Proform) with a carpeted belt. We use it at least 3
    > times a week (alternating days with a recumbent bike).
    >
    > Well, I need to lubricate the belt at least every 6 months. The usual procedure for this is to
    > squirt the supplied lubricant between the belt and the deck.
    >
    > The problem is this: the lubricant seems outrageously expensive. It comes in a tiny vial, good for
    > a single use, and it costs over $10. I suspect that it's probably something that's widely
    > available, and no doubt for a much more sane price.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone knows what the proper lubricant might be.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any good info...
    >
    > Josh

3. Profwdesk1

Profwdesk1 Guest

Just use some Silicone spray from any store with an auto section

4. Josho

Josho Guest

Many thanks, Joseph...just the information I was looking for.

Thanks again, Josh

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:37:18 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> White Lithium spray lube from the hardware or auto parts store. Use it often and try to get as
    > much cleaned off before adding more each time. I have been using it on my treadmill that gets a
    > lot more work than yours (I also lube it a lot more often) and it has worked fine for 7 years
    > now. Only problem was an electronic control problem.
    >
    >--
    >Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    >26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    >
    >
    >"Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> My wife and I own a treadmill -- a Nordictrak (Proform) with a carpeted belt. We use it at least
    >> 3 times a week (alternating days with a recumbent bike).
    >>
    >> Well, I need to lubricate the belt at least every 6 months. The usual procedure for this is to
    >> squirt the supplied lubricant between the belt and the deck.
    >>
    >> The problem is this: the lubricant seems outrageously expensive. It comes in a tiny vial, good
    >> for a single use, and it costs over $10. I suspect that it's probably something that's widely
    >> available, and no doubt for a much more sane price.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if anyone knows what the proper lubricant might be.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any good info...
    >>
    >> Josh

5. Use K-Y Jelly. It's the same stuff. And the great thing is, you probably have it around the house
    already. 9 out of 10 women who sleep with joggers have to use an outside source of lubrication.
    Joggers are notorious for not arousing their partners enough for self-lubing.