Lubricating a treadmill belt

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Josho, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Josho

    Josho Guest

    My wife and I own a treadmill -- a Nordictrak (Proform) with a carpeted belt. We use it at least 3
    times a week (alternating days with a recumbent bike).

    Well, I need to lubricate the belt at least every 6 months. The usual procedure for this is to
    squirt the supplied lubricant between the belt and the deck.

    The problem is this: the lubricant seems outrageously expensive. It comes in a tiny vial, good for a
    single use, and it costs over $10. I suspect that it's probably something that's widely available,
    and no doubt for a much more sane price.

    I'm wondering if anyone knows what the proper lubricant might be.

    Thanks in advance for any good info...

    Josh

    Tags:

  2. White Lithium spray lube from the hardware or auto parts store. Use it often and try to get as much
    cleaned off before adding more each time. I have been using it on my treadmill that gets a lot more
    work than yours (I also lube it a lot more often) and it has worked fine for 7 years now. Only
    problem was an electronic control problem.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My wife and I own a treadmill -- a Nordictrak (Proform) with a carpeted belt. We use it at least 3
    > times a week (alternating days with a recumbent bike).
    >
    > Well, I need to lubricate the belt at least every 6 months. The usual procedure for this is to
    > squirt the supplied lubricant between the belt and the deck.
    >
    > The problem is this: the lubricant seems outrageously expensive. It comes in a tiny vial, good for
    > a single use, and it costs over $10. I suspect that it's probably something that's widely
    > available, and no doubt for a much more sane price.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone knows what the proper lubricant might be.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any good info...
    >
    > Josh

  3. Profwdesk1

    Profwdesk1 Guest

    Just use some Silicone spray from any store with an auto section

  4. Josho

    Josho Guest

    Many thanks, Joseph...just the information I was looking for.

    Thanks again, Josh

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:37:18 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > White Lithium spray lube from the hardware or auto parts store. Use it often and try to get as
    > much cleaned off before adding more each time. I have been using it on my treadmill that gets a
    > lot more work than yours (I also lube it a lot more often) and it has worked fine for 7 years
    > now. Only problem was an electronic control problem.
    >
    >--
    >Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    >26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    >

    >"Josho" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> My wife and I own a treadmill -- a Nordictrak (Proform) with a carpeted belt. We use it at least
    >> 3 times a week (alternating days with a recumbent bike).
    >>
    >> Well, I need to lubricate the belt at least every 6 months. The usual procedure for this is to
    >> squirt the supplied lubricant between the belt and the deck.
    >>
    >> The problem is this: the lubricant seems outrageously expensive. It comes in a tiny vial, good
    >> for a single use, and it costs over $10. I suspect that it's probably something that's widely
    >> available, and no doubt for a much more sane price.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if anyone knows what the proper lubricant might be.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any good info...
    >>
    >> Josh

  5. Use K-Y Jelly. It's the same stuff. And the great thing is, you probably have it around the house
    already. 9 out of 10 women who sleep with joggers have to use an outside source of lubrication.
    Joggers are notorious for not arousing their partners enough for self-lubing.