Lubricating spoke nipple threads

artemidorus

Mar 10, 2004
The Parktool site recommends that this be done monthly. Does anyone actually do this?
I still true a 12 year old rim from time to time, without difficulty - I've never lubricated its spoke nipples.

Out of necessity I've had to lube my nipples on this one wheel --ever since I have had this bike. About every two months or so I get this madening ticking sound-- guy I rode with who was also a mechanic said I had to "lube" my "nipples" (Just love saying this outloud with some strangers around.) I lube them on outside with a couple drops on each nip. Make sure to wipe off excess lube around rim.

It depends on the wheel. Radially laced wheels in particular shouldn't be lubricated. It can cause the nipples to loosen up over time.

artemidorus said:
The Parktool site recommends that this be done monthly. Does anyone actually do this?
I still true a 12 year old rim from time to time, without difficulty - I've never lubricated its spoke nipples.
There's really two places that you need to consider. The first is the spoke itself. When the wheel is built you should lube the threads (on the spoke). What you use is a constant source of debate, but Spokeprep seems to be the favorite. It helps making the spoke turn easy when you do the truing and then sets up and resists the spoke from turning after the truing. The other thing that needs lube - and I think that this is what you are referring to - is the collar on the nipple where it seats against the rim, or rim eyelet. This should get a drop of lube (synlube, linseed oil, whatever ....) whenever you true the wheel to make the job easier. I don't know why you would lube it otherwise. Presumably, you would be truing the wheel once or twice a year, so that would be plenty. As roblogos said, make sure you clean up when you are done or it will end up on the braking surface.

" When the wheel is built you should lube the threads (on the spoke)."

What are the threads? (Forgive my ignorance!)