Lubrication of derailleur idler wheels

Sammy Shuford

Guest
These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
lithium grease?

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

I've had good luck using Tri-Flow on mine.

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

A little grease; it lasts longer than oil.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

grease stays put better than oil, but anything is better than nothing.
I just greased up the bushings on a Tiagra rear mech yesterday, it
improved the shifting muchly.

On 12 May 2006 09:23:32 -0700, "Sammy Shuford" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
>lithium grease?

Grease is made from oil and a thick carrier. The oil is the lube; the
carrier just helps keep it where you put it, and then stays behind as
a sticky nonlubricating gum when the oil is gone. I'd just use oil.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Josh Hassol wrote:
> Sammy Shuford wrote:
>
>>These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
>>lithium grease?

> I've had good luck using Tri-Flow on mine.

I second that motion. It has teflon in it that will leave a coating on
the lubricated parts.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 12 May 2006 09:23:32 -0700, "Sammy Shuford" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
>>lithium grease?

> Grease is made from oil and a thick carrier. The oil is the lube; the
> carrier just helps keep it where you put it, and then stays behind as
> a sticky nonlubricating gum when the oil is gone. I'd just use oil.

The problem with grease is that it requires disassembly (not a big deal
really). I also have noticed that the very little clearance between the
bushing and pulley doesn't really allow for any grease reserve. My vote
is for oil (and the teflon residue doesn't remain or even help, I
suspect) which can be applied without disassembly.

Robin Hubert

walmort auto or marine carries castrol marine wheel bearing grease ina
tube -scrape out with clean screwdriver or narow spatula
at the retail level, this stuff is ultra ne plus
do not not oil following greasing - self defeating - thins grease,
grease runs out - duh

Sammy Shuford says...

> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

I use ProLink Gold. I dislike motor oil for drivetrain use because it
attracts too much dirt. But it is an ideal lubricant.

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

Grease , any grease. Not oil as this dribbles out over time. Remember,
grease is oil in 'soap', a way for the oil to stay put.

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> These pulleys have a bushing. Should they be lubed with oil or white
> lithium grease?

I just lube mine with whatever I'm using on the chain every time I lube
the chain (which is either Phil's or Prolink).