Lubrication points - newbie question

Ken Marcet

Guest
After thinking about it for a couple of hours, I came up with a little list
of possible points that might need a little lubrication. Does anyone else
have any that I have missed?
* chain
* derailleur pivots
* brake lever pivots
* brake caliper pivots

I figure the front and rear hubs are probably coated with grease in the
assembly, and the same with the headset and the bottom bracket. Would it be
worth while to put a drop or two of oil in there while assembled or just
skip them all together?

Ken

--
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
Arthur C. Clarke

Ken Marcet wrote:
> After thinking about it for a couple of hours, I came up with a
> little list of possible points that might need a little lubrication.
> Does anyone else have any that I have missed?
> * chain
> * derailleur pivots
> * brake lever pivots
> * brake caliper pivots
>
> I figure the front and rear hubs are probably coated with grease in
> the assembly, and the same with the headset and the bottom bracket.
> Would it be worth while to put a drop or two of oil in there while
> assembled or just skip them all together?

For the headset, it depends on how well the bike is maintained. Many people
sweat profusely, and even the best headsets can't keep out corrosive sweat
on a bike, especially road bikes on trainers.

Sealed bottom brackets should need little to no maintenance on the bearings
themselves, unless they're rebuildable high-end models. The bottom bracket
cups themselves sometimes need attention, as much creaking originates from
there.

Hubs are probably the parts needing the least lubrication. I find that even
with wet, muddy rides, Shimano mountain hubs seal quite well, and the grease
in them is still the neon Shimano green even after quite a few hundred
miles, and probably would be relatively clean after thousands of miles.

I would add cables to the list, IF they're slow or have been lubed before.
I wouldn't lube cables new, though.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After thinking about it for a couple of hours, I came up with a little

list
> of possible points that might need a little lubrication. Does anyone else
> have any that I have missed?
> * chain
> * derailleur pivots
> * brake lever pivots
> * brake caliper pivots

Pedal bearings, & the 2 most important things to grease: seatpost & stem
(quill).

> I figure the front and rear hubs are probably coated with grease in the
> assembly, and the same with the headset and the bottom bracket. Would it

be
> worth while to put a drop or two of oil in there while assembled or just
> skip them all together?

Adding oil is only a useful trick when grease has dried out and disassembly
is impractical -- a pretty rare situation. Otherwise, if there's clean
grease, adding oil won't help, and it's likely to carry contaminants into
the bearing. If grease is dirty or contains water, adding oil won't help
either, the bearing needs to be cleaned and greased.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:30:09 GMT, "Peter Cole"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Pedal bearings, & the 2 most important things to grease: seatpost & stem
>(quill).

Providing that the seatpost isn't carbon fiber. When using carbon
fiber parts, it is wise to follow the manufacturers instructions.

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:30:09 GMT, "Peter Cole"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Pedal bearings, & the 2 most important things to grease: seatpost & stem
> >(quill).
> >

> Providing that the seatpost isn't carbon fiber. When using carbon
> fiber parts, it is wise to follow the manufacturers instructions.

Of course, and don't run with scissors.