Lubrication ports on Campy hubs?

David Peake

Guest
So, I shot some grease in my Campy 9 speed hub, and the ratcheting sound is
quite muffled. Did I kill my hub, or will it work itself out?

David Peake wrote:
> So, I shot some grease in my Campy 9 speed hub, and the ratcheting sound is
> quite muffled. Did I kill my hub, or will it work itself out?

Reading Material:

http://www.campyonly.com/techtalk/techtalk8.html

Btw, not sure which hub you have, but if its similar to the current
one, its good for both 9 AND 10 speed!

David Peake wrote:
> So, I shot some grease in my Campy 9 speed hub, and the ratcheting sound is
> quite muffled. Did I kill my hub, or will it work itself out?

No the hubs are not shot. You just put to much grease in. Some of it
entered the pawl mechanism area. That's why I never use the grease port
because you don't see what you are doing. I just take the hub apart to
clean and grease. With campy hubs this is very easy. Take the hub apart
and wipe off the excess grease and overhaul it properly. There are
instructions on the Campy site.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

David Peake wrote:
> So, I shot some grease in my Campy 9 speed hub, and the ratcheting sound is
> quite muffled. Did I kill my hub, or will it work itself out?

If ya take the hub apart, you will see where the grease goes...along
the axle, to the back of each set of bearings and also into the pawl
mechanism...lots of grease in there isn't a great idea but with 3
pawls, probably not a huge deal. If the weather gets cold, these can
stick down tho. These holes are OK for the temp adding of grease and
are great for new hubs but hubs 'should' be taken apart once a year or
so, cleaned well, new bearings and new grease.

did not kill hub....