Lubrication Question

OLMO

Feb 26, 2004
Apologies ahead of time for my noob-ness.

I made several adjustments to my rear derailleur cable today, before realizing that my problem was actually with tight pivots on the derailleur itself. I cleaned it up as best I could and then put some of my chain oil (Cross-Country synthetic lubricant) on the pivot points (both outside, and underneath) and then worked it in manually by flexing the derailleur back and forth.

It seems to have done the trick. I'm just wondering if there isn't a better option. I have Park Polylube 1000, which is more of a grease lubricant, that I've used on my seat post.

OLMO said:
Apologies ahead of time for my noob-ness.

I made several adjustments to my rear derailleur cable today, before realizing that my problem was actually with tight pivots on the derailleur itself. I cleaned it up as best I could and then put some of my chain oil (Cross-Country synthetic lubricant) on the pivot points (both outside, and underneath) and then worked it in manually by flexing the derailleur back and forth.

It seems to have done the trick. I'm just wondering if there isn't a better option. I have Park Polylube 1000, which is more of a grease lubricant, that I've used on my seat post.

What you used is fine.
If you haven't already done so, wipe off any oil that is external as it holds dirt/grit/etc.