Lubrication question ???

Banatean

Jul 26, 2003
Hi everyone,
So the other day i picked up a bottle of Finish Line Wax lubricant Krytech witg M2 stuff in it,at the MTB review site a lot ob people say that this is to dry to do what's intended to do and that can only be used for short rides...?,is it true ?,does anyone here uses this type of lube on their ride ?,i usually use Finish Line Synthetic for wet climate but it atracts dirt,dust and the cassette looks black instead of shiny silver...i hate the dirty look so can somebody give me some feedback on pros and cons speaking from experience.
Thank you
Dan:confused:

Originally posted by Banatean
Hi everyone,
So the other day i picked up a bottle of Finish Line Wax lubricant Krytech witg M2 stuff in it,at the MTB review site a lot ob people say that this is to dry to do what's intended to do and that can only be used for short rides...?,is it true ?,does anyone here uses this type of lube on their ride ?,i usually use Finish Line Synthetic for wet climate but it atracts dirt,dust and the cassette looks black instead of shiny silver...i hate the dirty look so can somebody give me some feedback on pros and cons speaking from experience.
Thank you
Dan:confused:

Common guys.....what do you use ?,does it keep things lubricated and clean ?....i hope this is not one of those big time secrets:(

What does it take to get a reply here...5000 postings ,world famous ....?
Thank you anyway .
Dan

Phil Wood what.....?,sorry but i'm not familiar ,can you please tell me what PH is .
Thank you
Dan

Rock n Roll lube is awesome. at the moment in eastern australia it is real real dry, dust everywhere, and we are using RnR Absolute Dry (road lube) for XC racing and it is just great. had been using pedros for ages, but that stuff is shite compared to RnR..... highly recommend.

Phil Wood ROFLMAO!

nice one!

Banatean,

My experience is that in dusty conditions wet lubes attract lots of **** and turn your chain into grinding paste. Dry lubes are not optimum from a lubrication standpoint but if they don't attract dust then they are better for those conditions.

So if yo ulive in a temperate climate with no dust use a wet lube but if you ride a lot in dusty conditions then go dry.

Thank you " dorkpants" and " Duckwah" for explaining the theory behind lubes,i live in western Canada in Alberta and we mostly have dry climate that can be dusty.I have aplied (just to try it out) Finish Line wax lube,but to be honest it looks weird how it builds up on the chain,kinda like candle wax...is this stuff easy to clean off ?
Thank you again guys.

Originally posted by sweet_disasters
has anyone tried silicone ?

I use silicone to keep the snow from sticking to my waxless cross country skis and snowshoes. As a water based emulsion, it's hydrophobic and doesn't penetrate and subsequently degrade plastics and painted surfaces like an actual oil would. It also lubricates but I don't think I'd trust it for the load on a bicycle chain.

I live in a dry dusty climate but use Dumond Tech Lite, a wet lube, on my mountain chain. I'm also extremely careful about overlubricating. I usually clean and lube the chain the evening before a ride and let it sit out overnight to dry a bit like it supposedly does. My chains always look extremely clean and rarely start to squeak until after the fifth or sixth ride following a lube job.

I'm gonna switch to chainsaw bar and chain lube...It makes sense to me: using a lube meant for chains under high stress at high speeds and gooey conditions. After all, metal is metal, and chains are chains. I considered motor oil, but I read that chainsaw lube is a more viscous compound mixed with mild solvent for maximum penetration.

I clean and relube my chain a couple times a week anyway, so I'm not worried about the dirt-attracting characteristics that chainsaw lube may have...

if you rode in dust like we have in AUS, then you'd need to clean your chain every 5 pedal turns using chainsaw oil...