Lubrication??

MarkInNC

Apr 15, 2007
What and how are you guys doing normal lubrication, particularly the chain? I have read about spray on clean up products for the chain. I have read about a mechanical chain cleaner. I have read about using a toothbrush and solvent.

I got caught in the rain yesterday during a ride at the beach. I was ridding on the road along the beach. There was lots of sand everywhere when I got home so I sprayed it off with a hose. Now Id like to take a look at the chain and gears.

thanks,

Mark

MarkInNC said:
What and how are you guys doing normal lubrication, particularly the chain? I have read about spray on clean up products for the chain. I have read about a mechanical chain cleaner. I have read about using a toothbrush and solvent.

I got caught in the rain yesterday during a ride at the beach. I was ridding on the road along the beach. There was lots of sand everywhere when I got home so I sprayed it off with a hose. Now Id like to take a look at the chain and gears.

thanks,

Mark
If you do a search of past postings, you will find more discussions on this topic than you would wish to read. The practices for care of the chain are very diverse in this community and include melting wax onto the chain. I use Prolink Gold. I suggest you do a search and read the past postings.

vascdoc said:
If you do a search of past postings, you will find more discussions on this topic than you would wish to read
- haha.

- have at the chain,chainwheels,cassette,front and rear derailleurs , with
a sponge/brush + dishwashing liquid , and a hose. That will clear out all of
the gunk and also most of the lubrication. Run the chain through the sponge
with liberal amounts of the dishwashing liquid. It really works to clean the
chain.

- then lubricate the chain SPARINGLY with whatever oil you like , and remember
to lube the jockey wheels of the rear-derailleur and also all the joints of the
front and rear derailleurs.