Luchows German Apple Pancake for Margaret

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by rox formerly rmg, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Here's that Apple Pancake recipe! The copy around the recipe was pretty fun
    too :) I love reading old recipe books, and especially old restaurant
    recipe books. They're transporting somehow. cheers, rox

    "At Luchow's an order of a German Pancake for dessert calls for a
    spectacular performance on the part of the chef and the waiter, or captain,
    who is in charge of your table. The pancake, when borne from the kitchen,
    measures about a foot and a half in diameter. It is delicately browned, hot,
    ready for the ministrations of the captain.

    Working swiftly at a serving table at your elbow, he sprinkles the top of
    the pnacake thickly with sugar and powdered cinnamon from huge glass
    shakers. He quickly squeezes the juice of lemon over this and then spreads
    the famous imported Preisselbeeren (lingonberries) or huckleberries, cooked
    apples, or chocolate sauce thickly over the sugared surface an drolls the
    cake like a jelly roll.

    Next he cuts the roll in 2 pieces, sprinkles them with more sugar and
    cinnamon, and slips each onto a plate. If you like, he will sprinkle these
    rolls with Jamaica rum or kirschwasser, ignite it, and then place this
    succulent dessert before you while the sugary flames are dancing across its
    surface.

    The chef's pan for this mammoth pancake is a large, long-handled thin irong
    frying pan. Each cake is made with 4 or more tablespoons of batter poured
    into the heated pan, which has been generously buttered. The batter must be
    psread quiddkly to form a large, thin pancake. As soon as it bubbles and the
    bottom is set, it is turned with a wide pancake turner and baked on the
    other side.

    Here is the recipe:

    Luchow's German Pancake

    6 Eggs
    1 1/2 cups sifted flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 pint milk
    1/2 pound butter
    Powdered cinnamon in shaker
    Sugar in shaker
    Juice 1 lemon
    Preisselbeeren, huckleberry jam, cooked apples, or chocolate sauce
    Jamaica rum, kirschwasser (optional)

    Beat eggs lightly, beat in flour, salt, and sugar, then milk. Beat 5 minutes
    in all. The batter should be thin and smooth.

    Melt enough butter in a wide frying pan to coat bottom and sides. When hot,
    pour in 4 to 5 tablespoons batter. Turn and alent pan to make batter spread
    to form large, thin flat pancake. Cook until batter buggles; turn; bake
    other side. Slip onto hot plate. Makes 4 to 6 pancakes.

    A wine you will enjoy with this dessert is a Chateau Yquem. (poster's note:
    NO KIDDING!)

    Apple Pancakes

    German Pancake batter (see recipe above)
    2 or 3 ripe apples
    2 tablespoons butter
    Sugar
    Powdered cinnamon

    Make pancake batter as in German Pancake recipe.

    Wash apples; peel, core, and slice thin.

    Melt enough butter in large frying pan to coat bottom and sides; pour very
    thin coating of batter in pan (2 or 3 tablespoons). Tilt pan to spread
    batter; let bake about 1 minute.

    Cover pancake with apples. Pour 2 or 3 tablespoons butter over apples. Turn
    cake with wide pancake turner when browned on bottom; brown other side. Fold
    over like omelet or roll loosely. Cut in half. Dash with sugar and cinnamon.
    Serves 2.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > A wine you will enjoy with this dessert is a Chateau Yquem. (poster's note:
    > NO KIDDING!)

    > Apple Pancakes
    >
    > German Pancake batter (see recipe above)
    > 2 or 3 ripe apples
    > 2 tablespoons butter
    > Sugar
    > Powdered cinnamon
    >

    > Make pancake batter as in German Pancake recipe.
    >
    > Wash apples; peel, core, and slice thin.
    >
    > Melt enough butter in large frying pan to coat bottom and sides; pour very
    > thin coating of batter in pan (2 or 3 tablespoons). Tilt pan to spread
    > batter; let bake about 1 minute.
    >
    > Cover pancake with apples. Pour 2 or 3 tablespoons butter over apples. Turn
    > cake with wide pancake turner when browned on bottom; brown other side. Fold
    > over like omelet or roll loosely. Cut in half. Dash with sugar and cinnamon.

    Seems very similar to our Plattar. Umlaut over the a.

    Good food!

    Bill

    --
    Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
    Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500

  3. rox formerly rmg wrote:
    > Here's that Apple Pancake recipe! The copy around the recipe was pretty fun
    > too :) I love reading old recipe books, and especially old restaurant
    > recipe books. They're transporting somehow. cheers, rox
    >
    > "At Luchow's an order of a German Pancake for dessert calls for a
    > spectacular performance on the part of the chef and the waiter, or captain,
    > who is in charge of your table. The pancake, when borne from the kitchen,
    > measures about a foot and a half in diameter. It is delicately browned, hot,
    > ready for the ministrations of the captain.

    <Rest of interesting text and two wonderful recipes snipped.>

    Roz, thank you for the speedy and wonderful response. I have already
    copied the recipes for my "recipe" file and will make the pancake for
    my friend, Marcel, as dessert for a belated 82nd Birthday Dinner. I
    need to get milk, Preisselbeeren and apples.

    The rest of the dinner will consist of Breaded Pork Cutlets, Red
    Cabbage (from a jar), baby buttered and parsleyed potatoes and French
    green beans (Haricots Verts), trimmed and steamed in a little water
    and butter.

    I will let Marcel choose the wine, either an Austrian Gruener
    Veltliner or a Californian Zinfandel.

    I do not know when I will make this dinner, most likely next week,
    when a friend from Vienna is coming to New York and will join us.

    Thank you very much. I hope I can reciprocate with a recipe for you,
    some day.

  4. Isabel Marshall

    Isabel Marshall New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2016
    I also enjoy cooking traditional national dishes of different countries and cuisines. Thank you for sharing the recipe of German apple pancake. http://www.cuisinian.com/international/2537-1.html It sounds like something I would like to try out, as the ingredients seem to be quite simple, and the cooking process is something I will cope with. But the way the recipe is explained is very inspiring, thanks for sharing the extract!