Road Cycling · Public discussion

Luck needed to win TdF

Started by curt · · Last activity · 43 posts · 1,389 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
2 June 2004
Last activity
11 June 2004
Original author
curt
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,389
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    1. How do you think Canadians would feel about that?

    Oh, I don't know, I am a pretty nice guy. I don't think the Canadians


    would

    Quoted message said:

    mind that much, but who knows, maybe they would try and beat me up? Life


    is

    Quoted message said:

    too short.


    If you're a pretty nice guy just leave a flag off your luggage altogether.

    Quoted message said:

    I have been attacked pretty hard about
    trying to show them that Americans are not all aggressive and that I have
    compassion for other people regardless of where they are from. Many look


    at

    Quoted message said:

    me and act like I wouldn't understand being that I am from the US. Maybe
    they are right.


    Maybe they take issue with the fact that you seem to think they need your
    compassion.

  2. Quoted message said:

    From: "Kyle Legate" [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe they take issue with the fact that you seem to think they need your
    compassion.

    Unfortunately Kyle most Americans who even pretend to have a clue about Canada
    have the comic book version. Then again they have the same level of knowledge
    about just about everywhere. They spout their [censored] and then are surprised when
    people get offended. I always found that people in other coutries reacted
    better to being challenged and questioned intelligently than they did to other
    people who fawned and tried to patronize them.
    Bill C

  3. "TritonRider" wrote...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: "Kyle Legate" [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe they take issue with the fact that you seem to think they need your
    compassion.

    Unfortunately Kyle most Americans who even pretend to have a clue about


    Canada

    Quoted message said:

    have the comic book version.

    People do need compassion, regardless of border. Here's a taste of my last
    two weeks in BC:
    * On a field trip with my daughter one ten-year old girl, "Ashley" told me
    about being sexually abused by one of her mother's "friends" at the age of
    five. She added that her mother has had ten boyfriends, and mum always
    wants her to call the latest boyfriend "dad," but Ashley knows she only has
    one dad - the man she lives with now (mum's not around). The girl's teacher
    has told me the man Ashley lives with now is not in fact her dad.
    * A boy on the trip has behavioural problems. That's because he has only
    recently (at age ten) begun coming to school regularly.
    * A few days ago a woman I know reported having a girl over whose mother
    just abandoned the girl's dad with eight children - only some of which are
    his. The man means well, but lacks the parenting tools to do the job, with
    one or with eight.
    * Got a call from a 65 year old woman new in town, living on her own in an
    efficiency apartment whose daughter-in-law had last seen her some five days
    prior. Her son had died, her common law husband died over New Years, she's a
    diabetic, ran out of food, and had only a mattress in her apartment. She is
    estranged from her daughter, who lives on the (Vancouver) Island, and her
    remaining son is barely making it as it is. She was out of food.
    * A 14 year old girl ran away from a perfectly good home (you're allowed to
    in Canada). She was bouncing from family to family, only one of which told
    the girl's parents.
    * Incest is a real problem.

    Lest you think I am inferring this happens more on one side of the border
    than the other, when I told two Americans about it, they said, "Welcome to
    my world." Someday, Kyle, even you are gonna need some compassion, and
    don't be too damn proud to accept it if the guy just happens to be from the
    nation people love to hate.

    Jim "no comic books here" Flom

  4. "curt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was just reading about the guys that won the TdF 5 times. Truly an
    amazing group. Anyway, what seems more amazing to me is the fact that


    these

    Quoted message said:

    guys must have some real luck as well. I mean, I read about one that got
    punched in the stomach and finished second with his bruised ribs and who
    knows what all happens.

    Dude, do you even know who you are talking about here?

    Quoted message said:

    Being that the US is the most hated country in the world right now (can't
    blame anyone for those thoughts), I wonder about Lance getting through the
    TdF without any problems from fans or whoever. I can't help but to think
    that there could be problems this year.

    Well, the OPEC countries can't be too high on anyone's list either.

    Quoted message said:

    Just wondering what people think about this?

    Well, I think hate is a strong word. I also think the price of gas is much
    too high right now. Someone should fix this.

    Think of Lance as a pile of fresh, moist [censored] and the peloton as a bunch of
    flies. They're going to be all over him and this makes it much harder for
    him. If he tries to trick anyone into believing that he is tired, they
    won't believe it. He's an old dog and everyone knows his tricks. If Lance
    stays sharp and focused, he'll have a good chance at winning. In
    otherwords, he needs the eye of the tiger that he had in the first three
    Tours. It's this hunger that was missing last year. Perhaps if some
    spectator shoves Lance off his bike then he'll be [censored] enough to dart up
    one of the mtn climbs. That'd be sweet. I'd also like to see Lance
    ignoring the media again. He should be more concerned w/his recovery and
    preparation for the next stage than answering questions from Bob like,
    "Who's your Daddy?"

    Quoted message said:

    Curt

  5. Jim Flom said:


    Lest you think I am inferring this happens more on one side of the
    border than the other, when I told two Americans about it, they said,
    "Welcome to my world." Someday, Kyle, even you are gonna need some
    compassion, and don't be too damn proud to accept it if the guy just
    happens to be from the nation people love to hate.


    The original poster came off sounding like he gave people his compassion
    because they are not American, living in America. That's conceited. I am a
    Canadian living in Germany, but I don't want the compassion of Germans
    because I am not german.

    One day if I deserve compassion because of some terrible tragedy, fine. If
    it's because I'm finding it difficult in a foreign land, that's my own
    problem, and can be fixed by me if I so choose. It is not deserving of
    compassion by someone who has the impression that they are "better off".


  6. Quoted message said:

    The original poster came off sounding like he gave people his compassion
    because they are not American, living in America. That's conceited. I am a
    Canadian living in Germany, but I don't want the compassion of Germans
    because I am not german.

    One day if I deserve compassion because of some terrible tragedy, fine. If
    it's because I'm finding it difficult in a foreign land, that's my own
    problem, and can be fixed by me if I so choose. It is not deserving of
    compassion by someone who has the impression that they are "better off".

    Hmm, I don't know how you got the idea that I gave people in other countries
    compassion because of them not being from the states. I think not.

    I very much enjoy other countries cultures and hope to learn as much as I
    can from different styles of life.

    You make it sound like I am a conceded American or something. That is
    something I am not.

    Curt

  7. Quoted message said:

    From: "curt" [email hidden]
    Date: 6/4/2004 7:16 PM Eastern

    Quoted message said:

    Hmm, I don't know how you got the idea that I gave people in other countries
    compassion because of them not being from the states. I think not.

    I very much enjoy other countries cultures and hope to learn as much as I
    can from different styles of life.

    You make it sound like I am a conceded American or something. That is
    something I am not.

    Curt


    I guess that I'll get you before TK does. You come off as one of the "I hate
    America and it's just terrible that the rest of the world has to put up with
    us." types. There is no need to offer Canada any compassion for putting up with
    us. If you think that the Canadians are being run over, and rolling overfor US
    policy you missed something. I have some fundamental problems with where Canada
    has chosen to stand politically, but I have lots of them with our policy too.
    The view that we need to apologize as Americans for our policy is [censored]. All it
    takes is telling us no like Spain did.
    I think that you need to apologize for the UN's total failure in Sudan,
    Rhwanda, DR Congo etc...but you're in the blame America first camp, seems to
    me.
    Last time I checked, from personal experience, Canada and Germany didn't need
    your sympathy because they aren't opressed puppets, and have made some tough
    decisions recently that I don't agree with, but that is what democracy and
    freedom are about.
    Now I think I'll duck all the flames.
    Bill C

  8. "Kyle Legate" wrote...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    The original poster came off sounding like he gave people his compassion
    because they are not American, living in America. That's conceited. I am a
    Canadian living in Germany, but I don't want the compassion of Germans
    because I am not german.

    One day if I deserve compassion because of some terrible tragedy, fine. If
    it's because I'm finding it difficult in a foreign land, that's my own
    problem, and can be fixed by me if I so choose. It is not deserving of
    compassion by someone who has the impression that they are "better off".

    I didn't read it quite that way, but I'm with you on that one, Kyle. No one
    needs to be patronized or feel like someone's charity case. People have a
    lot more in common than they have differences. If we can keep that in front
    of us, it's all good.

    JF


  9. Quoted message said:

    I guess that I'll get you before TK does. You come off as one of the "I


    hate

    Quoted message said:

    America and it's just terrible that the rest of the world has to put up


    with

    Quoted message said:

    us." types. There is no need to offer Canada any compassion for putting up


    with

    Quoted message said:

    us. If you think that the Canadians are being run over, and rolling


    overfor US

    Quoted message said:

    policy you missed something. I have some fundamental problems with where


    Canada

    Quoted message said:

    has chosen to stand politically, but I have lots of them with our policy


    too.

    Quoted message said:

    The view that we need to apologize as Americans for our policy is [censored].


    All it

    Quoted message said:

    takes is telling us no like Spain did.
    I think that you need to apologize for the UN's total failure in Sudan,
    Rhwanda, DR Congo etc...but you're in the blame America first camp, seems


    to

    Quoted message said:

    me.
    Last time I checked, from personal experience, Canada and Germany didn't


    need

    Quoted message said:

    your sympathy because they aren't opressed puppets, and have made some


    tough

    Quoted message said:

    decisions recently that I don't agree with, but that is what democracy and
    freedom are about.
    Now I think I'll duck all the flames.
    Bill C

    You are right, I do feel the need to apologies for the US. There is no
    question about it. We are in a so called war that is to put some of Bush's
    puppets in charge so we can get a better deal on oil. Everyone knows this
    but don't want to admit it because there are many very young US soldiers
    getting killed over this stupid war and we don't want to treat returning
    soldiers like we did back in Vietnam. If you don't think this is about oil,
    I suspect you need to either read about it more, or read about the Bush
    family. For goodness sake look at who the VP is on top of all this. You
    know the guy that still gets a $750,000 check from the company that has a
    large contract in Iraq. This whole thing is a joke and it is embarrassing,
    so yeah, I need to apologize. I will really need to say I am sorry to the
    rest of the world when the idiot gets re-elected for another term due to the
    fear in the US people and the amount of NASCAR fans here. That is going to
    be really embarrassing. Wonder how much debt he will run up while in there
    for 8 years? It is going to be an amazing number that is for sure.

    This topic is way into a different subject now, but I didn't go here at the
    beginning.

    Oh well,
    Curt

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    curt said:

    You are right, I do feel the need to apologies for the US. There is no
    question about it. We are in a so called war that is to put some of Bush's
    puppets in charge so we can get a better deal on oil. Everyone knows this
    but don't want to admit it because there are many very young US soldiers
    getting killed over this stupid war and we don't want to treat returning
    soldiers like we did back in Vietnam. If you don't think this is about oil,
    I suspect you need to either read about it more, or read about the Bush
    family. For goodness sake look at who the VP is on top of all this. You
    know the guy that still gets a $750,000 check from the company that has a
    large contract in Iraq. This whole thing is a joke and it is embarrassing,
    so yeah, I need to apologize. I will really need to say I am sorry to the
    rest of the world when the idiot gets re-elected for another term due to the
    fear in the US people and the amount of NASCAR fans here. That is going to
    be really embarrassing. Wonder how much debt he will run up while in there
    for 8 years? It is going to be an amazing number that is for sure.

    Curt, I have to say that you have a tendency to overgeneralize about
    many things. There are some good examples of that in this post. There's
    really no need to "apologize for America." A simple, "Hey, I didn't vote
    for the guy," would probably suffice, you know? (The war situation, by the
    way, is far more complicated than you seem to think. Just so you know...)

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Copper will never be gold"
    Shellac

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  11. "Howard Kveck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    curt said:

    You are right, I do feel the need to apologies for the US. There is no
    question about it. We are in a so called war that is to put some of


    Bush's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    puppets in charge so we can get a better deal on oil. Everyone knows


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but don't want to admit it because there are many very young US soldiers
    getting killed over this stupid war and we don't want to treat returning
    soldiers like we did back in Vietnam. If you don't think this is about


    oil,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I suspect you need to either read about it more, or read about the Bush
    family. For goodness sake look at who the VP is on top of all this.


    You

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    know the guy that still gets a $750,000 check from the company that has


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    large contract in Iraq. This whole thing is a joke and it is


    embarrassing,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    so yeah, I need to apologize. I will really need to say I am sorry to


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rest of the world when the idiot gets re-elected for another term due to


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fear in the US people and the amount of NASCAR fans here. That is going


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be really embarrassing. Wonder how much debt he will run up while in


    there

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for 8 years? It is going to be an amazing number that is for sure.

    Curt, I have to say that you have a tendency to overgeneralize about
    many things. There are some good examples of that in this post. There's
    really no need to "apologize for America." A simple, "Hey, I didn't vote
    for the guy," would probably suffice, you know? (The war situation, by the
    way, is far more complicated than you seem to think. Just so you know...)

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Howard, I can't post all my thoughts about why we are at war on here, I
    would be typing for days. I would need to go into all kinds of angles. I
    just write a headline. I will mention another though. Our huge support in
    Israel is certainly not helping in that region. Israel isn't even a
    democracy being that you need to be a certain religion to have any rights.
    It is headed up by a former hit man and yet we send them billions and wonder
    why Muslims dislike us. Duh!?! We sure do stupid things in this country.
    Really ugly.

    You are correct, I didn't vote for him and will never vote for anyone in the
    Bush family. One of the most corrupt families in the world and they head
    our country. Pretty scary stuff.

    Curt

  12. curt said:

    I don't live in Europe and don't have a handle on it.

    I think the majority of people here see a difference between Lance
    Armstrong, the cyclist and the Repulican govt. in the USA. But there is
    always the chance that some nut will see him as an 'ambassador'. Post
    3/11 I think security will be a nightmare.

  13. "David Off" wrote...

    Quoted message said:


    I think the majority of people here see a difference between Lance
    Armstrong, the cyclist and the Repulican govt. in the USA. But there is
    always the chance that some nut will see him as an 'ambassador'. Post
    3/11 I think security will be a nightmare.

    Live in another country and find out how quickly you become an
    ambassador/apologist/whipping boy/interpreter/expert on all things relating
    to your country. 95% of people have enough sense not to go there. It's
    just that last 5% that blindsides you now and then.

    J "3/11?" F

  14. Jim Flom said:


    J "3/11?" F

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4523891/

  15. Jim Flom said:

    J "3/11?" F

    Madrid.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Chris said:


    "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    curt said:

    Well Robert, you needed to go back three months. If you read that whole
    thread, you will see my whining as you put it paid off. People did come
    through and answer my post. It was a good thread for me anyway.

    You eventually got the results you sought in the first thread and you
    *still* whined at the first response in this one? Check.

    Obviously whining is part of his normal communication style.

    Are you two whining?

    Andy Mai

  17. "Jim Flom" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<XGTvc.16234$OI5.5546@edtnps84>...

    Quoted message said:

    "TritonRider" wrote...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: "Kyle Legate" [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Maybe they take issue with the fact that you seem to think they need your
    compassion.

    Unfortunately Kyle most Americans who even pretend to have a clue about


    Canada

    Quoted message said:

    have the comic book version.

    People do need compassion, regardless of border. Here's a taste of my last
    two weeks in BC:
    * On a field trip with my daughter one ten-year old girl, "Ashley" told me
    about being sexually abused by one of her mother's "friends" at the age of
    five. She added that her mother has had ten boyfriends, and mum always
    wants her to call the latest boyfriend "dad," but Ashley knows she only has
    one dad - the man she lives with now (mum's not around). The girl's teacher
    has told me the man Ashley lives with now is not in fact her dad.
    * A boy on the trip has behavioural problems. That's because he has only
    recently (at age ten) begun coming to school regularly.
    * A few days ago a woman I know reported having a girl over whose mother
    just abandoned the girl's dad with eight children - only some of which are
    his. The man means well, but lacks the parenting tools to do the job, with
    one or with eight.
    * Got a call from a 65 year old woman new in town, living on her own in an
    efficiency apartment whose daughter-in-law had last seen her some five days
    prior. Her son had died, her common law husband died over New Years, she's a
    diabetic, ran out of food, and had only a mattress in her apartment. She is
    estranged from her daughter, who lives on the (Vancouver) Island, and her
    remaining son is barely making it as it is. She was out of food.
    * A 14 year old girl ran away from a perfectly good home (you're allowed to
    in Canada). She was bouncing from family to family, only one of which told
    the girl's parents.
    * Incest is a real problem.

    Lest you think I am inferring this happens more on one side of the border
    than the other, when I told two Americans about it, they said, "Welcome to
    my world." Someday, Kyle, even you are gonna need some compassion, and
    don't be too damn proud to accept it if the guy just happens to be from the
    nation people love to hate.

    Jim "no comic books here" Flom

    Ah, so you DO think that Tyler will need some luck to beat Lance this year?

    Cheers,
    Dennis

  18. "Dennis G. Allard" wrote...

    Quoted message said:


    Ah, so you DO think that Tyler will need some luck to beat Lance this


    year?

    Luck doesn't exist. Didn't you see Signs?

    JF

  19. Quoted message said:

    Howard, I can't post all my thoughts about why we are at war on here,
    I would be typing for days. I would need to go into all kinds of
    angles. I just write a headline. I will mention another though. Our
    huge support in Israel is certainly not helping in that region.
    Israel isn't even a democracy being that you need to be a certain
    religion to have any rights. It is headed up by a former hit man and
    yet we send them billions and wonder why Muslims dislike us. Duh!?!
    We sure do stupid things in this country.

    You know Curt, I've read your [censored] long enough and just can't sit
    still anymore without saying something. The most important thing I would
    have to say is that you are in the wrong damn newsgroup. Your [censored] would
    be much better suited for alt.conspiracy. Dropping in there once in
    awhile for a laugh or two shows me that you would fit right in.

    If you want to apologize, apologize for yourself, don't include me or any
    other American in your apologies. We can handle ourselves, thank you
    very much. If you really want to apologize, I suggest you buy a plane
    ticket to Baghdad and go to the nearest mosque and do your apologizing
    there. Oh, I'd suggest you save money by buying a one-way ticket.

    As for your reasons as to why we are at war, I can tell you haven't got
    the first damn clue. Most likely you get your news from websites set up
    by college kids and anti-war activists and you swallow it as if it were
    gospel.

    As for our support for Isreal, seems to me Isreal would stop blowing the
    [censored] out of the Palestinian sections of the Gaza Strip if the damn
    Palestinians would stop blowing up buses in the middle of Jerusalum. If
    the Mexicans started blowing up buses in the middle of downtown Dallas
    and showed no signs of stopping it, you can be sure that sooner or later,
    we'd start blowing up parts of Mexico.

    But Curt, you know what really pisses me off more about your [censored] than
    anything else is that I came in here to read and converse about bicycle
    racing and had some moron draw me into a conflict about his [censored]
    world view. So get back to conversations about Lance and his chances of
    winning number six and leave the b.s. about him being an American and how
    you think it may be a problem in some other newsgroup. Such as the one I
    pointed you towards above.

    ------
    Dave Casey - Realtor
    www.LasVegasHomesDirect.com
    [email hidden]

  20. Dave, I like you. You got game.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.