Lugged Frame Repair

Donald Gillies

Guest
I have a raleigh international, 1974, and the previous owner hit a car with it. The front fork is
bent but probably fixable, since it wasn't bench much. However, the top tube is gently rainbowed
near the headset and the nervex lug, the chromed ones on top, have some hairline cracks in the
chrome. signs of stress but probably not major.

I'm not worried about the fork because i did the same thing to my raleigh grand prix and it took a
second accident before the fork was unfixable - but still it never failed on me. however, can the
top tube be replaced on such a 531 steel bike at an affordable rate ?? who could do that for the
supposed $100 i saw quoted somewhere. I'm in southern CA and most builders down here would probably
charge a lot more. who specializes in such frame repairs, and if the lugs are pinned, how would that
be done ??

- Don [email protected] San Diego, CA

Ouch. Frame damage is not something to take lightly. You'll probably have to replace the down tube
as well. And I would see about getting the forks straightened and aligned, if their only, as you
say, slightly deformed.

Most frame builders can do this. Use a real bicycle frame builder, however, they know more about
bicycle frame alignment then an everyday brazer.

Unless you are restoring the bicycle, however, or it has special sentimental value, I would
gracefully retire it and look for a new frame.

In article <[email protected]>, Donald Gillies <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have a raleigh international, 1974, and the previous owner hit a car with it. The front fork is
>bent but probably fixable, since it wasn't bench much. However, the top tube is gently rainbowed
>near the headset and the nervex lug, the chromed ones on top, have some hairline cracks in the
>chrome. signs of stress but probably not major.
>
>I'm not worried about the fork because i did the same thing to my raleigh grand prix and it took a
>second accident before the fork was unfixable - but still it never failed on me.

This is not a good basis for faith in the International's fork and there is a very high cost of
being wrong about a fork.

> however, can the top tube be replaced on such a 531 steel bike at an affordable rate ??

It sounds to me like this bike needs alignment more than a tube replacement. Frames that take a
head-on collision and bend at the head tube often do not need the tube replaced at all, they just
need straightening. Naturally it depends on how much it's bent.

Anyway, anyone qualified to straighten the frame should be able to inspect and straighten the fork
as well, and let you know if it's too far gone.

--Paul

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ouch. Frame damage is not something to take lightly. You'll probably have to replace the down tube
> as well. And I would see about getting the forks straightened and aligned, if their only, as you
> say, slightly deformed.
>
> Most frame builders can do this. Use a real bicycle frame builder, however, they know more about
> bicycle frame alignment then an everyday brazer.
>
> Unless you are restoring the bicycle, however, or it has special sentimental value, I would
> gracefully retire it and look for a new frame.

"You'll probably have to replace the down tube as well." ?? We don't know that at all from his
description.

The earlier (Paul?) comment about getting competent in-person advice, and possibly an alignnent,
seemed the more prudent approach, IMHO.