Lugged Steel Vs. Tig-Welded and Fillet-Brazed

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Cranky Rider, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Cranky Rider

Cranky Rider New Member

I am in the market for a new bike frames and have narrowed it down to two, with the difference being the construction method. One is tig-welded and the other is lugged steel.

Is there a benefit to one over the other? I am not overly concerned with weight...

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

If you're not concerned with weight, the only significant difference left is aesthetics. So long as the bike properly fits you, there'll be no real difference in its performance as a result of it being tig welded or lugged....or even filet brazed.

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Plus 1; there is no difference other then looks, it's why all my road bikes have lugs because I like the look of the lugs, not because one way is better then the other. I'm not even sure if weight's an issue because with non-lugged bikes they have to make the butts thicker at the unions to support the frame without becoming to noodily, whereas with lugged bikes the butts are thinner. I think I recalled that lugged steel bike will weight about a 1/4th a pound more, so there might be a minuscule weight penalty. But also with today's modern steel welding actually makes the steel stronger instead of weaker which is why most steel bikes 20 years ago were lugged because brazing is done at a lot lower temp then welding. Also fillet and weld allows the builder to alter shapes and tube diameters much more then a lugged frame, so this could allow the builder to be more creative in design, or build a bike custom to a clients wants, etc.

You could research the internet till you're stir crazy and still won't come to a conclusion! Anyway this whole subject can come into a full blown debate for no reason other then it's what you want in the area of looks. Like I said, I personally like lugs, it gives the bike a sense of artistry that I don't feel with the other methods...BUT, some people find welds or fillet style artsy and like the "cleaner" look of those methods. We all have different opinions, so get whatever appeals to you and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.