Lumileds

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gags, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Gags

    Gags Guest

    In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned something about running a
    1W lumiled.

    I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how much they cost??

    I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can get......anyone seen em??

    Thanks,

    Gags

    Tags:

  2. "Gags" wrote:

    > In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned something about running a 1W
    > lumiled.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how much they cost??
    >
    > I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can get......anyone seen em??

    I'm not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for, but they're worth knowing about anyway:

    http://shops.bizarsoftware.com.au/ATAShop/catalogue/category16/category41

    John

  3. Gags wrote:

    > In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned something about running a 1W
    > lumiled.

    > I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how much they cost??

    > I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can get......anyone seen em??

    I wouldn't bother, They are just as efficient as halogens, the 5 watt version has a shorter life
    than most halogens, as far as dollars per watt goes they cost 8 times as much, you need special
    mounting hardware (with heatsink) for the 5 watt version, and given the choice, trashing a $15
    halogen is preferred compared to losing $60 for a lumiled.

    I've looked at them some time back, and for the purpose of bike lighting, all things considered,
    they don't cut it for me.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

  4. John Tserkezis <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gags wrote:
    >
    > > In one of my earlier posts on homemade bike lights, someone mentioned something about running a
    > > 1W lumiled.
    >
    > > I was wondering if anyone can tell me where these can be bought and how
    much
    > > they cost??
    >

    > > I am also interested in the 5W lumileds that i have heard you can get......anyone seen em??
    >
    > I wouldn't bother, They are just as efficient as halogens, the 5 watt
    version
    > has a shorter life than most halogens, as far as dollars per watt goes
    they
    > cost 8 times as much, you need special mounting hardware (with heatsink)
    for
    > the 5 watt version, and given the choice, trashing a $15 halogen is
    preferred
    > compared to losing $60 for a lumiled.

    Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient, as some of the energy is
    transferred into heat?
    ---
    DFM

  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]!o.co.uk says...
    > Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient, as some of the energy
    > is transferred into heat?

    Last time I checked a halogen bulb was stinking hot also....

  6. Deep Freud Moors wrote:

    > Given that you need a heatsink, wouldn't this mean they are less efficient, as some of the energy
    > is transferred into heat?

    They are about as efficient as halogens, so both would dissipate about the same amount of
    heat. (about)

    Halogens NEED the heat to redeposit the filament particals. Semiconductors don't like heat much,
    so the heatsink takes care of that.

    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org