Lumps in perineum

GuyStevens

Jul 30, 2003
For many seasons I have had painful small lumps in my perineum area. Sometimes they can produce a small amount of puss but they are mostly solid, white-looking spots/lumps.

Having endured so many uncomfortable rides for so many years, I am finally going to see my doctor but I would like to be armed with some fore-knowledge.

What are these lumps (calcified deposits?), what can I do about them (before you ask, yes, I have scrupulous hygiene and wash my shorts straightaway), has anyone experienced something similar? Could surgery be the answer? How can I come back at my doctor if he just says 'stop riding'?

Many thanks for any advice.

Originally posted by GuyStevens
For many seasons I have had painful small lumps in my perineum area. Sometimes they can produce a small amount of puss but they are mostly solid, white-looking spots/lumps.

Having endured so many uncomfortable rides for so many years, I am finally going to see my doctor but I would like to be armed with some fore-knowledge.

What are these lumps (calcified deposits?), what can I do about them (before you ask, yes, I have scrupulous hygiene and wash my shorts straightaway), has anyone experienced something similar? Could surgery be the answer? How can I come back at my doctor if he just says 'stop riding'?

Many thanks for any advice.

I've had them in the past. For me I think they were clogged pores. I'd suggest trying other shorts that wick sweat better. I found synthetic lined worked much better than leather.

If your Dr. says "stop riding" say NO!

good luck,
Tim

Originally posted by 2LAP
Saddle Sores, boils, cellulitus?

I wish I knew! I guess I should just go and see my GP.

Having only used Lusso shorts, I'll also splash out on a more upmarket brand - probably Assos.

Originally posted by GuyStevens
I wish I knew! I guess I should just go and see my GP.

Having only used Lusso shorts, I'll also splash out on a more upmarket brand - probably Assos.

Baden Cooke had to have an op to remove a cyst in the same area caused by continuous cycling (see cyclingnews.com). I'm off to see him race in the Dohertys Hotel International Criterium in Launceston tomorrow. So he must have recovered by now.

Cooke had to endure a long flight from London to Sydney in economy class after Qantas and BA stuffed up his first class reservation. The wound from the op opened up and added six weeks to his recovery time.

Hope your problem is solvable - but do go and see about it now.

Could also be an ingrown hair. I had a perineal one once that became infected and had to be lanced - NOT for the faint-hearted!

I don't think it is an ingrowing hair as the area is hairless and I have 3 or 4 lumps.

It's been over two weeks since your first post. For God's sake go to the Doctor, tell us all what he said, and put us out of our misery.

Go to the pharmacist and look for an over the counter product containing the highest amt. of Benzoil Peroxide you can find. The best I've found is in a nightly face wash.

Use this on your problem area as needed and esp. prior to long or multi day events.

Sorry for your troubles, hope that gets better fast.

i thought most cyclist had them, i have a few my saddle was slightly turned to the right. i hope this corrects my problem im hoping because it is just on the right side where i have the lumps. i get them more when i ride over 13 hours a week. i shower right after rides and i use the skin butter. i hope it's not serious have you seen the doc yet? also i seem to be pretty comfortable on the saddle.