Lumps

Ted Rosenberg

Guest
Yesterday and today I developed a moderastly painful lump at
te site of my injection of Humulin "L" I am having no
trouble wit my Novulun "R" injections, and I never had a
problem in the past with anything (about 17 years)

The people at Lily don't recognize the problem, but we
discovered that my insulin was 40 days -past
expiration. This should only give us a few years until
the stuff deterotrates, and , even then it shouldn't
cause any problems.

I bought the stuff last week from WalMart, who, in turn
bought it from McKession (their distributer) They won't tell
me how long they have had it, but I KNOW that they didn't
have it longer than a month, because the last time I bought
some, they were out.

Anyone got asny ideas?

Ted Rosenberg wrote:
> Yesterday and today I developed a moderastly painful lump
> at te site of my injection of Humulin "L" I am having no
> trouble wit my Novulun "R" injections, and I never had a
> problem in the past with anything (about 17 years)
>
> The people at Lily don't recognize the problem, but we
> discovered that my insulin was 40 days -past expiration.
> This should only give us a few years until the stuff
> deterotrates, and , even then it shouldn't cause any
> problems.
>
> I bought the stuff last week from WalMart, who, in turn
> bought it from McKession (their distributer) They won't
> tell me how long they have had it, but I KNOW that they
> didn't have it longer than a month, because the last time
> I bought some, they were out.
>
> Anyone got asny ideas?

Only one idea from me. Did you hit a muscle? If I do that, I
get exactly the same problem you describe.

Al.

"Ted Rosenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yesterday and today I developed a moderastly painful lump
> at te site of my injection of Humulin "L" I am having no
> trouble wit my Novulun "R" injections, and I never had a
> problem in the past with anything (about 17 years)
>
> The people at Lily don't recognize the problem, but we
> discovered that my insulin was 40 days -past expiration.
> This should only give us a few years until the stuff
> deterotrates, and , even then it shouldn't cause any
> problems.
>
> I bought the stuff last week from WalMart, who, in turn
> bought it from McKession (their distributer) They won't
> tell me how long they have had it, but I KNOW that they
> didn't have it longer than a month, because the last time
> I bought some, they were out.
>
> Anyone got asny ideas?

I have this with UL and it was suggested that I put a finger
on the injection site after injection with a slight
pressure. Don't know why but it seem's to be working as I
don't have as many now.

Also, be sure to let insulin warm to room temp if you keep
it in the fridge.

YMMV

HTH Bobby

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:49:56 -0500, Ted Rosenberg
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday and today I developed a moderastly painful lump
>at te site of my injection of Humulin "L" I am having no
>trouble wit my Novulun "R" injections, and I never had a
>problem in the past with anything (about 17 years)
>
>The people at Lily don't recognize the problem, but we
>discovered that my insulin was 40 days -past expiration.
>This should only give us a few years until the stuff
>deterotrates, and , even then it shouldn't cause any
>problems.
>
>I bought the stuff last week from WalMart, who, in turn
>bought it from McKession (their distributer) They won't
>tell me how long they have had it, but I KNOW that they
>didn't have it longer than a month, because the last time I
>bought some, they were out.
>
>Anyone got asny ideas?
Date of manufacture to date of expiration on things other
than the analogs like Humalog, is 25 months. (if you buy
these products outside the USA, they are often labeld with
both manufacture date AND expiration date.

It is doubtful that the 40 days past expiration have
anything to do with. If the insulin is bad, it is because
it was grossly mishandled sometime in the past. Short of
cross linking due to heat, L,N,U,and S are actually
remarkably stable.

Al Hardy said this...
> Ted Rosenberg wrote:
> > Yesterday and today I developed a moderastly painful
> > lump at te site of my injection of Humulin "L" I am
> > having no trouble wit my Novulun "R" injections, and I
> > never had a problem in the past with anything (about 17
> > years)
> >
> > The people at Lily don't recognize the problem, but we
> > discovered that my insulin was 40 days -past expiration.
> > This should only give us a few years until the stuff
> > deterotrates, and , even then it shouldn't cause any
> > problems.
> >
> > I bought the stuff last week from WalMart, who, in turn
> > bought it from McKession (their distributer) They won't
> > tell me how long they have had it, but I KNOW that they
> > didn't have it longer than a month, because the last
> > time I bought some, they were out.
> >
> > Anyone got asny ideas?
>
> Only one idea from me. Did you hit a muscle? If I do that,
> I get exactly the same problem you describe.

especially if it's cold and straight from the fridge. Then I
can get a lump too if I catch a muscle.

Generally goes after a short while

Ratty

--