lumpy tire

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Callistus Valerius, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Have an old vredestein 700x23 tire that is starting to get lumpy.
    Slight bulges on the side of the tire, but no cuts there. What is causing
    that, and is the tire still ok to ride on, because it still has some tread
    on the bottom, with no casing showing yet?

    Tags:

  2. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:59:49 GMT, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Have an old vredestein 700x23 tire that is starting to get lumpy.
    >Slight bulges on the side of the tire, but no cuts there. What is causing
    >that, and is the tire still ok to ride on, because it still has some tread
    >on the bottom, with no casing showing yet?

    Go ahead and ride on it if you don't mind walking home from some as yet unknown
    location. Of course typing that may cause what's left of that tire's carcass to
    hang together just to prove me wrong.

    Ron

  3. "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Have an old vredestein 700x23 tire that is starting to get lumpy.
    > Slight bulges on the side of the tire, but no cuts there. What is causing
    > that, and is the tire still ok to ride on, because it still has some tread
    > on the bottom, with no casing showing yet?

    Vreds are notorious for getting lumpy - I've never actually worn one out as
    I get so sick of the thump-thump from riding them that I've ditched them
    well before they were shot. I've owned three pair personally and they all
    did it sooner or later. Suspect it may be due to the way their casing
    layers are constructed which is a bit different than most tires.

  4. Callistus Valerius writes:

    > Have an old Vredestein 700x23 tire that is starting to get lumpy.
    > Slight bulges on the side of the tire, but no cuts there. What is
    > causing that, and is the tire still OK to ride on, because it still
    > has some tread on the bottom, with no casing showing yet?

    Casing distortion is usually a sign that cords are failing, causing
    lateral jogs, zig-zags in the tire. These are then followed by either
    a tube nibble flat or a blowout. This failing can be caused either by
    running over large gravel like obstacles or old age.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  5. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote: (clip) This failing can be caused
    either by running over large gravel like obstacles or old age.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am 76 years old, and have never had this problem. Is it because I don't
    use that brand of tire?

  6. Leo Lichtman writes:

    >> This failing can be caused either by running over large gravel like
    >> obstacles or old age.

    > I am 76 years old, and have never had this problem. Is it because I
    > don't use that brand of tire?

    Old age of the tire casing that has rotted, not the rider... However,
    that you have not experienced this doesn't have much bearing on
    whether or not it occurs. Having worked with many types and brands of
    tires, I can assure you that it does occur.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  7. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    jobst.brandt wrote: (clip) However, that you have not experienced this
    doesn't have much bearing on whether or not it occurs. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be funny.

  8. Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > jobst.brandt wrote: (clip) However, that you have not experienced
    > this doesn't have much bearing on whether or not it occurs. (clip)
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be
    > funny.

    Don't worry about it. Jobst (Brandt at Satanford Alumni Dot Org) doesn't
    have a sense of humor.

    Bill "at least one hasn't been exhibited" S.

  9. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:36:09 GMT, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    ><[email protected]> wrote: (clip) This failing can be caused
    >either by running over large gravel like obstacles or old age.
    >^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >I am 76 years old, and have never had this problem. Is it because I don't
    >use that brand of tire?

    Wow, I'm not 2/3 your age and while I haven't experienced failing, I have
    undergone some lumpiness.

    Ron

  10. Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> writes:

    > However, that you have not experienced this doesn't have much
    > bearing on whether or not it occurs.

    > I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be
    > funny.

    Lay off comedy if you don't know how to write it. You may have notced
    that comedians don't use a "LAUGH NOW" sign for their jokes.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  11. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> However, that you have not experienced this doesn't have much
    >> bearing on whether or not it occurs.

    >> I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be
    >> funny.

    > Lay off comedy if you don't know how to write it. You may have notced
    > that comedians don't use a "LAUGH NOW" sign for their jokes.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt
    > [email protected]

    Exhibit A

    Tom

  12. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:14:35 GMT,
    [email protected] wrote:

    >Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> However, that you have not experienced this doesn't have much
    >> bearing on whether or not it occurs.

    >> I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be
    >> funny.

    >Lay off comedy if you don't know how to write it. You may have notced
    >that comedians don't use a "LAUGH NOW" sign for their jokes.
    >
    >Jobst Brandt
    >[email protected]

    Dear Jobst,

    Physician, heal thyself.

    Carl Fogel

  13. [email protected] wrote:
    > Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> writes:

    {Actually, JOBST wrote the first paragraph below -- nice attribution,
    Grumpy!}

    >> However, that you have not experienced this doesn't have much
    >> bearing on whether or not it occurs. {JB}

    >> I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be
    >> funny. {Leo}

    > Lay off comedy if you don't know how to write it. You may have notced
    > that comedians don't use a "LAUGH NOW" sign for their jokes.

    Which is WHY Mr. Lichtman did *NOT* put a smiley face at the end of his
    remark. C'mon, JB, /think/ before you insult!

    Bill "once in a while, at least" S.

  14. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Put perhaps another way; 'humor' is not a fit rhetoric for public discourse
    since what pleases one, what is humorous to one, offends another. We're so
    sensitive to 'offense' here.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> However, that you have not experienced this doesn't have much
    >> bearing on whether or not it occurs.

    >> I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be
    >> funny.

    > Lay off comedy if you don't know how to write it. You may have notced
    > that comedians don't use a "LAUGH NOW" sign for their jokes.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt
    > [email protected]

  15. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]:

    > Have an old vredestein 700x23 tire that is starting to get lumpy.
    > Slight bulges on the side of the tire, but no cuts there. What is
    > causing that, and is the tire still ok to ride on, because it still
    > has some tread on the bottom, with no casing showing yet?

    Four years ago I gave the high end Vredesteins a try and had the same
    experience with the three tires I bought. They were all defective (or at
    least exhibited the same characteristics) out of the box. I know others
    with same experience. I returned them to Colorado Cyclist, took a little
    convincing, and have been happy with Michelins.
    Bill

  16. Chris

    Chris Guest

    news:p[email protected]
    > Have an old vredestein 700x23 tire that is starting to get lumpy.
    > Slight bulges on the side of the tire, but no cuts there. What is causing
    > that, and is the tire still ok to ride on, because it still has some tread
    > on the bottom, with no casing showing yet?

    Find out what your tire is constructed from. The casing is especially
    important. How old are they? This can happen with very light tires, very old
    tires left outside most of the day when the materials are not optimized for
    durability. All tires are a compromise between price, performance, wear,
    aesthetics etc. Another concern I would have is that these are very poor
    quality tires that are just breaking down. I would throw them away. Riding
    them does not seem wise at all. Rare as it is, a blow out can cause an
    accident. A blow out caused by a big bulge turning in to a hole suddenly can
    bring you down in no time.

    I would toss them and then report what kind they are and how long they
    lasted you. I would also like to know if you store them inside or outside
    when you are not riding on them.

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    > > Have an old vredestein 700x23 tire that is starting to get lumpy.
    > > Slight bulges on the side of the tire, but no cuts there. What is

    causing
    > > that, and is the tire still ok to ride on, because it still has some

    tread
    > > on the bottom, with no casing showing yet?
    > >

    > Vreds are notorious for getting lumpy - I've never actually worn one out

    as
    > I get so sick of the thump-thump from riding them that I've ditched them
    > well before they were shot. I've owned three pair personally and they all
    > did it sooner or later. Suspect it may be due to the way their casing
    > layers are constructed which is a bit different than most tires.

    Which models were you using and how long did they last before they became
    this way? I sure want to avoid those. I was just getting ready to stock up
    on tires for the winter.

  18. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > <[email protected]> wrote: (clip) This failing can be caused
    > either by running over large gravel like obstacles or old age.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > I am 76 years old, and have never had this problem. Is it because I don't
    > use that brand of tire?

    No, you are just too young.

  19. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:36:09 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

    <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><[email protected]> wrote: (clip) This failing can be

    caused
    > >either by running over large gravel like obstacles or old age.
    > >^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > >I am 76 years old, and have never had this problem. Is it because I

    don't
    > >use that brand of tire?

    > Wow, I'm not 2/3 your age and while I haven't experienced failing, I have
    > undergone some lumpiness.
    >
    > Ron

    Now that was funny.

  20. B.B.

    B.B. Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "B i l l S o r n s o n" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> Leo Lichtman <[email protected]> writes:

    >{Actually, JOBST wrote the first paragraph below -- nice attribution,
    >Grumpy!}
    >
    >>> However, that you have not experienced this doesn't have much
    >>> bearing on whether or not it occurs. {JB}

    >>> I guess I should have concluded with a smiley :) I was trying to be
    >>> funny. {Leo}

    >> Lay off comedy if you don't know how to write it. You may have notced
    >> that comedians don't use a "LAUGH NOW" sign for their jokes.

    >Which is WHY Mr. Lichtman did *NOT* put a smiley face at the end of his
    >remark. C'mon, JB, /think/ before you insult!
    >
    >Bill "once in a while, at least" S.

    Yeah, I gotta agree with bill here.

    B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net