Lunch for long rides

Dave Stallard

Guest
On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that is
recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars. I can't count on a
sub-shop being nearby; I want to be self-sufficient. I've been carrying
these frou-frou mozarella sandwiches, on the theory that my stomach
handles them better then a meat-type sandwich. But at the food stop on
the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old childhood
staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted great. And
felt like just the thing.

I guess you could say: peanut butter has protein, bread is carbs, the
jelly is pure sugar. So it makes sense.

What do other people carry for lunch?

Dave

Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote in news:T5-
[email protected]:
> On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that is
> recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars.

Why? I don't see the point unless you want to take a long break in the
middle of a ride.

In article <[email protected]>,
Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:

> But at the food stop on
> the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old childhood
> staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted great. And
> felt like just the thing.

When you are starved, anything tastes great! ;)
--

Dave Stallard wrote:
> On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that
> is recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars. I can't count on a
> sub-shop being nearby; I want to be self-sufficient. I've been
> carrying these frou-frou mozarella sandwiches, on the theory that my
> stomach handles them better then a meat-type sandwich. But at the
> food stop on the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to
> the old childhood staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they
> tasted great. And felt like just the thing.
>
> I guess you could say: peanut butter has protein, bread is carbs, the
> jelly is pure sugar. So it makes sense.
>
> What do other people carry for lunch?

Pork chop.

(Actually did that once on a mountain bike vacation. Left-over from dinner;
tasted DAMN good!)

Otherwise, I seldom eat anything close to a "meal" on a ride. I like it
afterwards...

sally wrote:
> Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote in news:T5-
> [email protected]:
>> On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that is
>> recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars.

> Why? I don't see the point unless you want to take a long break in the
> middle of a ride.

Some of us do have time to take a lunch break under a tree and enjoy the
personal spot we have found. Of course for me that spot is way back in
the mountains with no sirens, cars, or even people, just the trickle of
the creek and the chirping of the birds. Total relaxation for an hour
then back to the business of riding home. I'm training for 100 years,
not racing. I do one organized Century a year and even that is a charity
ride and not a race, so a lot of socializing going on.
Bill Baka

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> But at the food stop on
>> the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old childhood
>> staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted great. And
>> felt like just the thing.

> When you are starved, anything tastes great! ;)
> --

You got it. I will take some canned food that I would never eat at home
but after about 40 miles it suddenly becomes delicious. Bananas and
pre-baked potatoes are good carb munchies, Oranges are good, along with
whatever berries are in season and I can find on the side of the road.
Free and natural food is just a gift of the summer.
Bill Baka

Dave Stallard said:
On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that is
recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars. I can't count on a
sub-shop being nearby; I want to be self-sufficient. I've been carrying
these frou-frou mozarella sandwiches, on the theory that my stomach
handles them better then a meat-type sandwich. But at the food stop on
the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old childhood
staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted great. And
felt like just the thing.

I guess you could say: peanut butter has protein, bread is carbs, the
jelly is pure sugar. So it makes sense.

What do other people carry for lunch?

Dave

I generally find that if I eat anything more substantial then gels and energy bars I end up feeling to full and riding like a slug.

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that is
> recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars. I can't count on a
> sub-shop being nearby; I want to be self-sufficient. I've been carrying
> these frou-frou mozarella sandwiches, on the theory that my stomach
> handles them better then a meat-type sandwich. But at the food stop on
> the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old childhood
> staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted great. And felt
> like just the thing.
>
> I guess you could say: peanut butter has protein, bread is carbs, the
> jelly is pure sugar. So it makes sense.
>
> What do other people carry for lunch?
>
> Dave

I like to take whoe wheat tortillas and spread some peanut butter and jelly
on them, then roll them up, and cut into bite size units, and put in a
baggie to carry along.
Doesn't require refridgeration either.
Another was to use the tortillas with some turkey meat slices, cheese and
lettuce, plus take some packets of mayonaise along too. Then spread on the
mayo when you are ready to eat.
Also taking some summer beef sausage, cheese, wheat crackers, and mustard
packets worked pretty good. Using whole wheat tortillas instead of crackers
wasn't bad either.
A simple Panini type of sandwich works too. This is where you put in some
turkey and cheese between two large slices of bread, and lightly rub the
outside with olive oil and toast on the grill. Slice in half to make it easy
to carry. Granted it is better eaten warm, but what the heck.

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What do other people carry for lunch?

Since I don't digest wheat very well, particularly on a ride, I usually make
a brown rice salad: brown rice and steamed veggies, whatever I have lying
about. An Asian rice salad is flavored with soy sauce and peanut oil; a
French one has lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

I rarely carry anything food wise anymore besides clif bars. but when I
did carry my own lunch, it was much like you discovered. A small *****
pack with simple easy to digest foods. Peanut butter or cheese lettuce
and tomato sandwitch, a fruit, like a banana, apple or an orange. Maybe
some cookies. Stuff like that.
nowadays most of my really long rides (over 80 miles) are "organized"
events and they have food available, usually a designated lunch stop.

If I'm planning my own rides I make sure that I will pass through an
area that is likely to have a spot to eat.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Group: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Tue, Sep 12, 2006, 4:17am (EDT+4)
From: [email protected] (sally)

>Dave Stallard <[email protected]>
>wrote:

>>On a long day ride, I always feel like I
>>should bring something that is
>>recognizably lunch, in addition to
>>energy bars.

>Why? I don't see the point unless you
>want to take a long break in the middle
>of a ride.

Because, unlike the "racer types", recreational riders like to stop for
a short rest now and then. We're in ho hurry.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

>Some of us do have time to take a lunch
>break under a tree and enjoy the
>personal spot we have found. Of course
>for me that spot is way back in the
>mountains with no sirens, cars, or even
>people, just the trickle of the creek and
>the chirping of the birds. Total relaxation
>for an hour then back to the business of
>riding home. I'm training for 100 years,
>not racing. I do one organized Century a
>year and even that is a charity ride and
>not a race, so a lot of socializing going
>on.

>Bill Baka

BRAVO!! Well said! Those were the words I was looking for.

- -

Dave Stallard wrote:

> What do other people carry for lunch?
>
> Dave

PB & J, and I like to carry a small baggie of steamed, quartered red
potatoes, spritzed with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt.

I too have a hard time eating a big "lunch", then trying to ride with a
full stomach. For that reason I tend to spread out lunch over a few,
shorter stops.

--
John Calnan
http://www.calnan-web.com/weblog

Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
:: Group: rec.bicycles.misc
:: Date: Tue, Sep 12, 2006, 4:17am (EDT+4)
:: From: [email protected] (sally)
::
::: Dave Stallard <[email protected]>
::: wrote:
::
:::: On a long day ride, I always feel like I
:::: should bring something that is
:::: recognizably lunch, in addition to
:::: energy bars.
::
::: Why? I don't see the point unless you
::: want to take a long break in the middle
::: of a ride.
::
:: Because, unlike the "racer types", recreational riders like to stop
:: for a short rest now and then. We're in ho hurry.

I'm a recreational rider....I carry energy bars and will stop to eat and
drink. I don't spend long off the bike. I appreciate a PBJ sandwich on a
charity ride, but can't be bother with them on personal rides.

Bill Baka wrote:
:: Artoi wrote:
::: In article <[email protected]>,
::: Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
:::
:::: But at the food stop on
:::: the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old
:::: childhood staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted
:::: great. And felt like just the thing.
:::
::: When you are starved, anything tastes great! ;)
::: --
:: You got it. I will take some canned food that I would never eat at
:: home but after about 40 miles it suddenly becomes delicious. Bananas
:: and pre-baked potatoes are good carb munchies, Oranges are good,
:: along with whatever berries are in season and I can find on the side
:: of the road. Free and natural food is just a gift of the summer.
:: Bill Baka

IME, fruit stimulates the gut too much to be bother with on a ride. I'd
rather not need to take a dump on a ride. Personal choice, I guess.

Dave Stallard wrote:
> On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that is
> recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars. I can't count on a
> sub-shop being nearby; I want to be self-sufficient. I've been carrying
> these frou-frou mozarella sandwiches, on the theory that my stomach
> handles them better then a meat-type sandwich. But at the food stop on
> the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old childhood
> staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted great. And
> felt like just the thing.
>
> I guess you could say: peanut butter has protein, bread is carbs, the
> jelly is pure sugar. So it makes sense.
>
> What do other people carry for lunch?
>
> Dave

Actually, a PB&J on toasted whole wheat bread (or a pumpernickel bagel!)
is my favorite pre-ride breakfast.

The trick is to apply the the peanut butter and jelly while the bread is
still hot so the the peanut butter will melt. Then the sandwich will
turn into gooey, sticky, drippy mess that drips down all over your
shirt. Aaaah, pure heaven. It takes me back to my childhood...

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC).

Dave Stallard wrote:
:: On a long day ride, I always feel like I should bring something that
:: is recognizably lunch, in addition to energy bars. I can't count on
:: a sub-shop being nearby; I want to be self-sufficient. I've been
:: carrying these frou-frou mozarella sandwiches, on the theory that my
:: stomach handles them better then a meat-type sandwich. But at the
:: food stop on the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to
:: the old childhood staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they
:: tasted great. And felt like just the thing.
::
:: I guess you could say: peanut butter has protein, bread is carbs, the
:: jelly is pure sugar. So it makes sense.
::
:: What do other people carry for lunch?

I don't carry a lunch meal. I carry bars, gels, and water and eat enough to
keep from bonking. I don't want to feel full nor do I like to have stuff
sloshing around in my gut. I do like to have a good meal once I get back,
though.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
> :: Artoi wrote:
> ::: In article <[email protected]>,
> ::: Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote:
> :::
> :::: But at the food stop on
> :::: the NVP Fall Century Saturday, I was re-introduced to the old
> :::: childhood staple and favorite: PBJ sandwiches! Damn, they tasted
> :::: great. And felt like just the thing.
> :::
> ::: When you are starved, anything tastes great! ;)
> ::: --
> :: You got it. I will take some canned food that I would never eat at
> :: home but after about 40 miles it suddenly becomes delicious. Bananas
> :: and pre-baked potatoes are good carb munchies, Oranges are good,
> :: along with whatever berries are in season and I can find on the side
> :: of the road. Free and natural food is just a gift of the summer.
> :: Bill Baka
>
> IME, fruit stimulates the gut too much to be bother with on a ride. I'd
> rather not need to take a dump on a ride. Personal choice, I guess.

I learned my lesson last year on one of my mountain rides around Beale
AFB, by necessity 70 miles or more. I raided what I thought was a plum
tree on the side of the road and it turned out to be prunes. They hit me
full force after I had biked/hiked and carried the bike up an absurd
trail to my waterfall / swimming hole. 3 times. I had to go skinny
dipping for lack of even so much as a leaf, since everything was weeds
and fox tails. Never again. Now I carry about a half roll with me,
hoping it will only ever get used for grease.
I got the calories and boost uphill, AND the side effects.
Bill Baka

Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Sep 12, 2006, 3:27pm (EDT+4)
From: [email protected] (Bill Baka)

>I learned my lesson last year on one of
>my mountain rides around Beale AFB, by
>necessity 70 miles or more. I raided
>what I thought was a plum tree on the
>side of the road and it turned out to be
>prunes.

>Bill Baka

Wait a minute, I thought prunes WERE dired plums?

- -