Lupine lights and cycle computers

Sue White

Guest
A friend who has Lupine off-road lights says the chip in their control
unit interferes with his bike computer. So when he goes out at night
he doesn't know how far he's been!
He mailed Mr Lupine who agreed that it did.

Does anyone know a way of preventing this?

--
Sue ];:))

What goes down must come up again - Confucius' Law of Mountain Biking

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:21:05 +0000, Sue White <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>A friend who has Lupine off-road lights [...]
>Does anyone know a way of preventing this?

Don't ride at ze full moon?

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

Sue White wrote:
> A friend who has Lupine off-road lights says the chip in their control
> unit interferes with his bike computer. So when he goes out at night
> he doesn't know how far he's been!
> He mailed Mr Lupine who agreed that it did.
>
> Does anyone know a way of preventing this?

The usual fix is to move the light, cable and battery away from the
cycle computer. Sometimes just a few inches of extra space can make all
the difference. The routing of the battery cable can be important - try
leading it away from the light in different directions, such as along
the bars. Depending on the design of the electronics in the light,
operating the light at full power rather than one of its reduced power
settings can make a difference, too.

Failing all that, replace the wireless computer with a wired one -
guaranteed to work, but perhaps not as convenient.

HTH
Chris

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:11:47 +0000, Chris Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sue White wrote:
>> A friend who has Lupine off-road lights says the chip in their control
>> unit interferes with his bike computer. So when he goes out at night
>> he doesn't know how far he's been!
>> He mailed Mr Lupine who agreed that it did.
>>
>> Does anyone know a way of preventing this?

>The usual fix is to move the light, cable and battery away from the
>cycle computer. Sometimes just a few inches of extra space can make all
>the difference. The routing of the battery cable can be important - try
>leading it away from the light in different directions, such as along
>the bars. Depending on the design of the electronics in the light,
>operating the light at full power rather than one of its reduced power
>settings can make a difference, too.
>
>Failing all that, replace the wireless computer with a wired one -
>guaranteed to work, but perhaps not as convenient.

i reverterd back to a wired one, my digital camera would change the
reading
And if I took it off, electrical sources in supermarkets - scanners
etc affected it !

Steve

Steve Walton <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting
>On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:11:47 +0000, Chris Jones
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> A friend who has Lupine off-road lights says the chip in their control
>>> unit interferes with his bike computer.

>>The usual fix is to move the light, cable and battery away from the
>>cycle computer. Sometimes just a few inches of extra space can make all
>>the difference. The routing of the battery cable can be important - try
>>leading it away from the light in different directions, such as along
>>the bars. Depending on the design of the electronics in the light,
>>operating the light at full power rather than one of its reduced power
>>settings can make a difference, too.

The battery goes in your bottle cage, lamp on handlebar and the
control/switch unit sticks to the bar with a velcro patch. Very neat,
very easy to remove from the bike - the bottle cage and the velcro patch
stay behind, the rest fits in your helmet while you're in the pub.
So the lamp chip and the computer can't be more than about a foot apart
and still fit on the same handlebar.

>>Failing all that, replace the wireless computer with a wired one -
>>guaranteed to work, but perhaps not as convenient.
>>

>i reverterd back to a wired one, my digital camera would change the
>reading
>And if I took it off, electrical sources in supermarkets - scanners
>etc affected it !

Heh, good point.
Thanks guys!