Lurk Mode

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:57:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> note the nutmeg :)

> ugh! Nutmeg is only allowed in pumpkin pie. That's it.

No way! Nutmeg is an excellent addition to cream sauces and mashed
potatoes. Really!
Goomba

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:49:53 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:57:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> note the nutmeg :)

> > ugh! Nutmeg is only allowed in pumpkin pie. That's it.
> >

> No way! Nutmeg is an excellent addition to cream sauces and mashed
> potatoes. Really!

Blech.

On 1 Apr 2006 11:54:08 -0800, aem wrote:

> Speaking of holidays, it's also essential for eggnog. :)

which probably explains why I haven't had any in years!
:)

sf wrote:

> Blech.
> --

I know what I'm gonna do. When I pull the last of the beets from the
garden I'll season them with a little nutmeg. If it's good I'll be
sure to let both you and the jamlady-who-hates-beets know. -aem

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

>> Nutmeg is fun to read about because there have been so many things
>> attributed to it starting hundreds of years ago and continuing to
>> today. It's a good example of the persistence of the will to believe
>> in almost anything that seems remotely plausible. It's very similar to
>> the willingness of some people to listen to the preacher who has
>> forecasted the end of the world -- incorrectly -- twelve times already,
>> but think this time he must be right.... -aem
>>

> I've read that Nutmegs are like money in jail populations.
> They are considered a psychedelic if used properly:
>
> http://www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/
>
> Cheers! ;-)

Very interesting site. According to the site nutmeg is considered to be
very toxic when taken in large quantities. Very interesting information on
the website and I bookmarked it.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

Serene <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> Actually, fats are mostly a bad idea, and eating cream every day is a
> bad idea, but certainly it's not news that some diabetics limit
> sugars, but not fats?
>
> serene

I have diabetes type 2 and I also have coronary artery disease. I have to
limit both sugar and fats. Sure, I splurge now and then but I do pretty
much what the nutritionist tells me to. It's really hard to balance both
and when we eat out I just forget it ;)

Michael

--

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:25:48 -0800, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> What is the point of going sugar-free or
>> using Splenda when one of the other ingredients
>> is heavy cream or whipped cream?

> I've chosen the Atkins way of eating. I'm not sure about Om. Atkins
> is a high fat, sufficient (not high) protein, low carb way of eating.
> I'm using it to control my diabetes, but I'm not going to say no to
> the weight loss part. :D
>
> I chose this way of eating in 2003, and lost 40 pounds in 4 mounths
> (you lose a lot of water weight the first month, then I leveled off to
> 5 pounds a month). My lipid profile became perfect, absolutley
> perfect, in 3 months. This, despite consuming a quart of heavy cream
> each week and all the bacon I wanted.
>
> Then we moved, and the stress got to me. This is a permanent way of
> eating. So my weight gain was my fault, not the fault of the plan.
>

> Typical day's food:
>
> BREAKFAST:
> An omelette of some kind. Usually cheddar with ham, bacon, or
> brocolli. There was also one where you added cocoa and Splenda to the
> eggs, then added a sweetened and flavored cream cheese filling. I
> often added chopped nuts, as well. Kinda like a breakfast brownie.
>
> LUNCH:
> Generally a quarter head of lettuce, plus cheese, olives, ham, etc.
> Alongside that, a quarter pound hamberger. cheeseburger, or bacon
> cheeseburger. Or a chicken breast. Or a pork chop. You get the
> idea.
>
> DINNER:
> A large mountain of buttered broccoli along with a moderate portion of
> meat, as above.
>
> FAVORITE SNACK:
> Sugar free Jell-O with heavy cream poured on top. Yesterday was the
> first time I ever mixed it in. Oh, and deviled eggs.
>
> FRUITS:
> Berries and melons can be added as you add carbs. I couldn't do it
> first time around because I was under-medicated for my diabetes. I
> look forward to strawberries!
>
> It's the combination of fats and refined carbs that cause health
> problems.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Out of curiosity - does high cholesterol become and issue with diets
like these? I just wonder because it seems I have a bit of an issue :(

Roberta (in VA)

On 1 Apr 2006 14:50:44 -0800, aem wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Blech.
> > --

> I know what I'm gonna do. When I pull the last of the beets from the
> garden I'll season them with a little nutmeg. If it's good I'll be
> sure to let both you and the jamlady-who-hates-beets know. -aem

How can you do that to an innocent beet?

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:57:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> note the nutmeg :)

> ugh! Nutmeg is only allowed in pumpkin pie. That's it.

Nonsense; I always sprinkle grated nutmeg on top of spiked eggnog :)

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:27:38 -0500, Roberta <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Out of curiosity - does high cholesterol become and issue with diets
>like these? I just wonder because it seems I have a bit of an issue :(

Lemme go look in Google ...

This is from a post I made to alt.support.diet.low-carb in May of
2003:

This is my difference from November of 2002 to this mid-April. I
started low-carbing mid-January.

Total Cholesterol from 195 to 167
HDL from 44 to 52
LDL from 117 to 91
Ratio from 2.7 to 1.7
Triglycerides from 168 to 121

Peace,
Carol

In article <J%DXf.20762$VE.107@dukeread05>, [email protected]
says...
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:25:48 -0800, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What is the point of going sugar-free or
> >> using Splenda when one of the other ingredients
> >> is heavy cream or whipped cream?

For your body, fat and carbs are totally different. It's impossible to
explain easily, but in a nutshell - if your carbs are restricted then
you burn fat for energy, and it does not deposit itself on your butt or
your artery walls.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:57:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> note the nutmeg :)

> > ugh! Nutmeg is only allowed in pumpkin pie. That's it.

> Nonsense; I always sprinkle grated nutmeg on top of spiked eggnog :)

My son made spaghetti carbonara a couple of weeks ago. A tiny bit of
nutmeg gave it a wonderful flavor.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:

> This list generates 200 to 400 messages per day. If I go more than a
> couple of days without viewing them, it's pretty hard to get caught up!
>
> It's easier just to start from scratch.

No, it's easier just to retire!

:)

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 19:20:13 -0800, Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> sf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:49:10 -0500, BOB wrote:

>> > Wah!

>> So, she's having a hard day.... would you be so mean to Carol?

>I'm *always* mean to Carol. She loves it!

Oh baby, oh baby, oh! <wink-wink>

Carol

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:25:48 -0800, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >What is the point of going sugar-free or
> >using Splenda when one of the other ingredients
> >is heavy cream or whipped cream?

> I've chosen the Atkins way of eating. I'm not sure about Om. Atkins
> is a high fat, sufficient (not high) protein, low carb way of eating.
> I'm using it to control my diabetes, but I'm not going to say no to
> the weight loss part. :D
>
> I chose this way of eating in 2003, and lost 40 pounds in 4 mounths
> (you lose a lot of water weight the first month, then I leveled off to
> 5 pounds a month). My lipid profile became perfect, absolutley
> perfect, in 3 months. This, despite consuming a quart of heavy cream
> each week and all the bacon I wanted.
>
> Then we moved, and the stress got to me. This is a permanent way of
> eating. So my weight gain was my fault, not the fault of the plan.
>

> Typical day's food:
>
> BREAKFAST:
> An omelette of some kind. Usually cheddar with ham, bacon, or
> brocolli. There was also one where you added cocoa and Splenda to the
> eggs, then added a sweetened and flavored cream cheese filling. I
> often added chopped nuts, as well. Kinda like a breakfast brownie.
>
> LUNCH:
> Generally a quarter head of lettuce, plus cheese, olives, ham, etc.
> Alongside that, a quarter pound hamberger. cheeseburger, or bacon
> cheeseburger. Or a chicken breast. Or a pork chop. You get the
> idea.
>
> DINNER:
> A large mountain of buttered broccoli along with a moderate portion of
> meat, as above.
>
> FAVORITE SNACK:
> Sugar free Jell-O with heavy cream poured on top. Yesterday was the
> first time I ever mixed it in. Oh, and deviled eggs.
>
> FRUITS:
> Berries and melons can be added as you add carbs. I couldn't do it
> first time around because I was under-medicated for my diabetes. I
> look forward to strawberries!
>
> It's the combination of fats and refined carbs that cause health
> problems.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Perfect... :)

That's pretty much the way I'm eating right now, but I sometimes will
eat rice on the weekends. I'm insulin resistant and hyopthyroid and
we've been having problems getting my thyroid meds just right but I
think this dose is finally going to do it.

With insulin resistance and my FBS levels slowly creeping up, I'm
heading towards type II diabetes so we are trying to head that off! If I
can just behave myself, I'll still be able to enjoy the occasional high
carb treat once I can get the weight off.

It's a long, difficult road, and living a permanent low carb lifestyle
is not always easy.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2006 10:49:37 -0800, "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> >> Sugar free cherry jello with heavy cream stirred in.

> > OK< WAIT ..... explain please, do you make the jello and then serve
> >it and sort of chop it up and add the cream ?? Or do you mix it with
> >the heavy cream to make it???

> Until last night, I always chopped it and let the cream (one
> tablespoon per half cup of gelatin) run through the pieces. Got
> really slippery that way. Last night I combined them as soon as the
> gelatin cooled. Gives it a more mellow flavor than plain, but I think
> I'll go back to the slippery pieces, at least most ot the time.
>
> > That sounds really good for some reason.

> It IS really good! I'm interested in trying orange jello with the
> cream mixed in. Sounds like it would be a good substitute for orange
> sherbet, which I adore!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Dams, whenever I make this, I whip the cream first with splenda, then
stir it in. IMHO it's easier to eat that way and mixes in better. You
can use a pastry chopper on the jello and cut it up really fine, then
stir in the whipped cream.

Comes out as kind of a fruity mouse. :)

Might want to get yourself one of those gas cream whippers. They are not
expensive and make whipping cream easier, plus it lasts a LOT longer
sitting inside of that bottle in the refrigerator...

Basically, it just whips whatever you need at the moment.

Wonderful on top of some sugar free hot cocoa. ;-d
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <J%DXf.20762$VE.107@dukeread05>,
Roberta <[email protected]> wrote:

> Out of curiosity - does high cholesterol become and issue with diets
> like these? I just wonder because it seems I have a bit of an issue :(
>
> Roberta (in VA)

It sure does! :)

Most people's serum lipid levels drop like a rock.....

Both Cholesterol and triglycerides go DOWN on a low carb, high fat diet.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:27:38 -0500, Roberta <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Out of curiosity - does high cholesterol become and issue with diets
> >like these? I just wonder because it seems I have a bit of an issue :(

> Lemme go look in Google ...
>
> This is from a post I made to alt.support.diet.low-carb in May of
> 2003:

> This is my difference from November of 2002 to this mid-April. I
> started low-carbing mid-January.
>
> Total Cholesterol from 195 to 167
> HDL from 44 to 52
> LDL from 117 to 91
> Ratio from 2.7 to 1.7
> Triglycerides from 168 to 121
>
> Peace,
> Carol

My triglycerides have gone down from 600 to 70...... ;-)

My cholesterol tho' only stays down if I quit drinking, but it has gone
down from 300 to 220. 220 is still a bit high, but it's better than 300!

HDL has gone from the mid-50's to the low 70's.

Glucose has only become an issue since I hit 40+. <sigh>

Probably from an early lifetime of being a starch-a-holic.
--

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I've read that Nutmegs are like money in jail populations.
> > They are considered a psychedelic if used properly:
> >
> > http://www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/
> >
> > Cheers! ;-)

> Very interesting site. According to the site nutmeg is considered to be
> very toxic when taken in large quantities. Very interesting information on
> the website and I bookmarked it.
>
> Michael

Most welcome!
It's the most complete site on the internet on drugs and psychoactive
herbals.

You may be surprised at what is in your spice cabinet. <G>

You can sign up for their quarterly newsletter with an annual donation...