Lurk Mode

In article <[email protected]>,
sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2006 11:54:08 -0800, aem wrote:
>
> > Speaking of holidays, it's also essential for eggnog. :)

> which probably explains why I haven't had any in years!
> :)

What? No holidays? How sad!

Om -> ducking and running.....
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote

> Very interesting site. According to the site nutmeg is considered to be
> very toxic when taken in large quantities.

Maybe it's one of those natural warning things, because a very
little nutmeg goes a long way, I'd be hard pressed to injest it in
large quantities.

Isn't the same true for cashews? I think I read that somewhere.
I can't eat a whole lot of those, either, and I love them.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Isn't the same true for cashews?

I believe it is the cashew pod that is harmful, not the actual nut.

--
-Alan

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Isn't the same true for cashews?

> I believe it is the cashew pod that is harmful, not the actual nut.

Do people eat the pods? Actually, I get just a teeny bit
queasy when I overindulge in cashews, for some reason.
Doens't happen with other nuts.

nancy (sorta like potato chips when it comes to nuts, can't eat
just one. Or 20.)

Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> Isn't the same true for cashews?

> > I believe it is the cashew pod that is harmful, not the actual nut.

> Do people eat the pods? Actually, I get just a teeny bit
> queasy when I overindulge in cashews, for some reason.
> Doens't happen with other nuts.
>
> nancy (sorta like potato chips when it comes to nuts, can't eat
> just one. Or 20.)

No...the pods are poisonous therefore nobody in their right mind eats
them...

(I'm thinking You need some coffee) :)

--
-Alan

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Isn't the same true for cashews?

> I believe it is the cashew pod that is harmful, not the actual nut.

This is probably what I was thinking of:

http://www.museums.org.za/bio/plants/anacardiaceae/anacardium_occidentale.htm

The shell surrounding the green cashew nut kernel contains a
very acrid and irritant oil. The nut itself contains poisonous oils
which need to be evaporated through roasting before the nut
can safely be eaten.

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

>> Do people eat the pods? Actually, I get just a teeny bit
>> queasy when I overindulge in cashews, for some reason.

> No...the pods are poisonous therefore nobody in their right mind eats
> them...
>
> (I'm thinking You need some coffee) :)

I'm thinking I need to come over there and beat you about the
head and neck.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Nancy Young wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> Isn't the same true for cashews?

> > I believe it is the cashew pod that is harmful, not the actual nut.

> This is probably what I was thinking of:
>
> http://www.museums.org.za/bio/plants/anacardiaceae/anacardium_occidenta
> le.htm
>
> The shell surrounding the green cashew nut kernel contains a
> very acrid and irritant oil. The nut itself contains poisonous oils
> which need to be evaporated through roasting before the nut
> can safely be eaten.

OK I take it back...I need some coffee.

--
-Alan

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:56:38 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Glucose has only become an issue since I hit 40+. <sigh>
>
>Probably from an early lifetime of being a starch-a-holic.

Mine was caused by and extended period of prednisone use, prescribed
to control my asthma.

Peace,
Carol

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:56:38 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Glucose has only become an issue since I hit 40+. <sigh>
> >
> >Probably from an early lifetime of being a starch-a-holic.

> Mine was caused by and extended period of prednisone use, prescribed
> to control my asthma.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Oh lordy, you poor dear!
Prednisone is awful stuff and does more than just make you fat. :-(
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:56:38 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Glucose has only become an issue since I hit 40+. <sigh>
> >
> >Probably from an early lifetime of being a starch-a-holic.

> Mine was caused by and extended period of prednisone use, prescribed
> to control my asthma.
>
> Peace,
> Carol

I was just too fat. AFAIK.

--
-Alan

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:28:32 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:56:38 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Glucose has only become an issue since I hit 40+. <sigh>
>> >
>> >Probably from an early lifetime of being a starch-a-holic.

>> Mine was caused by and extended period of prednisone use, prescribed
>> to control my asthma.

>Oh lordy, you poor dear!
>Prednisone is awful stuff and does more than just make you fat. :-(

I went up nearly 50 pounds on it. My allergist, who had prescribed
the prednisone, looked at my chart on a subsequent visit, saw that I'd
become diabetic, and I thought he was going to cry. He felt so bad.
But what are you gonna do? Low carb! That's what you're gonna do!

Peace,
Carol

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

<snip>
> Prednisone is awful stuff and does more than just make you fat. :-(

Horrid stuff. I'm on it 3-4 times a year usually a 10 day taper. I
hate it and DH hates it. It's likely better than not being able to
breath but sometimes I do really wonder about that especially when I'm
on it.

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:45:42 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 06:56:38 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Glucose has only become an issue since I hit 40+. <sigh>
>> >
>> >Probably from an early lifetime of being a starch-a-holic.

>> Mine was caused by and extended period of prednisone use, prescribed
>> to control my asthma.

>I was just too fat. AFAIK.

You were never on cortisones for respiratory problems?

Curiously,
Carol

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 15:28:32 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Mine was caused by and extended period of prednisone use, prescribed
> >> to control my asthma.

> >Oh lordy, you poor dear!
> >Prednisone is awful stuff and does more than just make you fat. :-(

> I went up nearly 50 pounds on it. My allergist, who had prescribed
> the prednisone, looked at my chart on a subsequent visit, saw that I'd
> become diabetic, and I thought he was going to cry. He felt so bad.
> But what are you gonna do? Low carb! That's what you're gonna do!
>
> Peace,
> Carol

Unfortunately, Prednisone is a wonderful drug for some very serious
conditions and it's often prescribed as a last resort. The side effects
suck but it's better than being 6 ft. under. ;-)

At least you know what to do about it.
--

~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Prednisone is awful stuff and does more than just make you fat. :-(

> Horrid stuff. I'm on it 3-4 times a year usually a 10 day taper. I
> hate it and DH hates it. It's likely better than not being able to
> breath but sometimes I do really wonder about that especially when I'm
> on it.

From what I understand tho', there is not currently a more effective
alternative.

It sucks but it's better than being dead.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote

> Unfortunately, Prednisone is a wonderful drug for some very serious
> conditions and it's often prescribed as a last resort. The side effects
> suck but it's better than being 6 ft. under. ;-)

Curious, do you have a quick description of how Prednisalone
is different?

nancy

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:53:54 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Prednisone is a wonderful drug for some very serious
>conditions and it's often prescribed as a last resort. The side effects
>suck but it's better than being 6 ft. under. ;-)

My asthma was BAD. Now it's COPD, which I'm not all that excited
about, but a person carries on, ya know? At least we're not using
Prednisone anymore.

Peace,
Carol

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> >I was just too fat. AFAIK.

> You were never on cortisones for respiratory problems?
>
> Curiously,
> Carol

Sure...All kinds of steriods...

--
-Alan

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 02:56:33 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

Alan:
>> >I was just too fat. AFAIK.

>> You were never on cortisones for respiratory problems?

>Sure...All kinds of steriods...

Congratulations, you may have medication-induced diabetes. That's
what they're calling mine. I'm type 2, but this is like a sub-type or
something. Either way, it sucks!

Peace,
Carol