Lurk Mode

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

>>>I was just too fat. AFAIK.

>>You were never on cortisones for respiratory problems?

> Sure...All kinds of steriods...

Prednisone has as one of it's side effects of causing "moon face" and
water retention. I'm classified as brittle asthmatic meaning I can be
fine one minute and very bad the next with very little warning. My RT
gave me several tips on how to avoid both problems. The problem can be
lessened through dietary measures as my RT explained. I have not
experienced weight gain due to prednisone but I have experienced other
side effects. I have experienced other negative side effects. Pred is
really not very pleasant but it does work. At the moment, I take 800 ug
- lowest dose I can get away with - symbicort daily along with singulair
and bricanyl as required. When symptomatic I boost the symbicort to
1600 ug daily. Symbicort contains a corticosteriod along with a long
acting broncodialator. I'm on prednisone at the first sign of a cold or
when boosting the symbicort doesn't get my PFs out of the red zone. That
works out to be an average of about 4 times a year. Since allergies
contribute to the problem I also am on nasonex, another steroid, as well
as loratidine and I take by some standards huge amounts of supplements.
IME weight gain has never been a problem for me since being on the
steroids *although* there have been some reported cases of that
happening. Just I haven't experienced that myself.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Unfortunately, Prednisone is a wonderful drug for some very serious
> > conditions and it's often prescribed as a last resort. The side effects
> > suck but it's better than being 6 ft. under. ;-)

> Curious, do you have a quick description of how Prednisalone
> is different?
>
> nancy

No, I'd have to google it.
I'm no pharmacist..... ;-)