Lurker buys fixie

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Duncan Farrow, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. G'Day,

    After not very much agonizing, I bought myself a fixed wheel
    bike last week.

    I got it second-hand from a bike shop here in Perth and spent
    a bit more getting pedals, a computer and some white bar tape
    (in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).
    Also, I replaced the brake with one off an Orbea. A couple
    of pictures are at
    http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow
    and click on the obvious link.

    I took the bike for it's maiden voyage yesterday morning - 40km
    along river here in Perth. Nice and flat with occasional
    undulation, perfect for the new machine. I can see this bike
    becoming my main bike for flat rides. I went for 44x15 cogs
    giving me 79" gear - I found this pretty good for maintaining
    30 to 35kph.

    I reckon everyone should have one of these in their shed.

    Cheers,
    Duncan.

    PS To e-mail, remove finger.

    Tags:

  2. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Duncan Farrow <[email protected]> wrote in news:ces4ih$ht$1
    @enyo.uwa.edu.au:

    > and some white bar tape
    > (in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).

    Bar tape? Luxury!

    > I reckon everyone should have one of these in their shed.

    So do I. Whereabouts do you keep it locked at work? ;)

    Graeme

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Duncan Farrow
    >After not very much agonizing, I bought myself a fixed wheel
    >bike last week. http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow

    Nice one! Go the fixies! :)

    That's quite a strange frame design.. it should turn a few heads :)

    hippy

  4. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Graeme
    >>Duncan Farrow
    >> and some white bar tape
    >> (in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).
    >
    >Bar tape? Luxury!

    Yeah, this is how it should be done:
    http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=8

    No, not really.. I just haven't bought any tape for it yet..

    hippy

  5. hippy wrote:

    >>Graeme
    >>
    >>>Duncan Farrow
    >>> and some white bar tape
    >>>(in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).

    >>Bar tape? Luxury!

    > Yeah, this is how it should be done:
    > http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=8
    >
    > No, not really.. I just haven't bought any tape for it yet..
    >
    > hippy

    Good looking bike - as well as the bar tape, some black wall tires
    and a pair of shorter forks...what's that clearance for?

    What gear ratio are you running?

    Duncan.

  6. hippy wrote:

    >>Duncan Farrow
    >>After not very much agonizing, I bought myself a fixed wheel
    >>bike last week. http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow

    > Nice one! Go the fixies! :)
    >
    > That's quite a strange frame design.. it should turn a few heads :)
    >
    > hippy

    Yeah, it is a bit of an odd frame. The shop reckons it's 531 - the
    frame's been resprayed so I don't know if that's right. Apparently it
    was a custom job for some racer. I noted that the top tube is not
    horizontal and that the forks do not look orginal. This made me wonder
    if it originally had a smaller (say 26") wheel on the front.

    Duncan.

  7. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Duncan Farrow
    >>hippy says:
    >>Yeah, this is how it should be done:
    >>http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=8
    >
    >Good looking bike - as well as the bar tape, some black wall tires
    >and a pair of shorter forks...what's that clearance for?

    The frame is for 27" wheels. It currently has my smaller 700c track bike's
    wheels installed. I plan to build some new wheels for it (still 700c) and get
    either shorter forks (i have some already) or longer brakes (preferred option)
    OR make a drop bolt for the calipers like Sheldon does..

    >What gear ratio are you running?

    48/18, simply because that is what the Miche groupset came with. I want
    lower so I can skid the hell out of it and then notch it up a bit for
    commuting once I know how to skid it to a quick(ish) stop.

    hippy

  8. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Good Stuff!
    Once you aquaint yourself with the way of the fixie maybe you would be interested in doing the barrack st ride on a tuesday or thursday. I take my fixie on that ride and it is great for building a bit of character ( thats what i tell myself...). There are always a couple of others on fixies there as well. Look out for me on my Orange KHS pursuit fixie around the river (48-16).

  9. Duncan Farrow <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Also, I replaced the brake with one off an Orbea. A couple

    brakes? don't they just slow you down?
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  10. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy wrote:
    >>Graeme
    >>
    >>>Duncan Farrow
    >>> and some white bar tape
    >>>(in keeping with the austere philosophy of a fixed wheel).

    >>Bar tape? Luxury!

    > Yeah, this is how it should be done:
    > http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=8
    >
    > No, not really.. I just haven't bought any tape for it yet..
    >
    > hippy

    do you want a black Cinelli bar plug? I've got a couple of
    spares rattling around in the cupboard.

    --
    Nick

  11. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    Duncan Farrow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > After not very much agonizing, I bought myself a fixed wheel
    > bike last week.

    Very classy ride.

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  12. Bow

    Bow Guest

    How about some of that carbon fibre look-a-like bar tape. That would look
    smick, mate!

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]aide.on.net...
    > hippy wrote:
    > >>Graeme

    > >>Bar tape? Luxury!

    > > Yeah, this is how it should be done:
    > > http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=73&pos=8
    > >
    > > No, not really.. I just haven't bought any tape for it yet..
    > >
    > > hippy
    > >

    > do you want a black Cinelli bar plug? I've got a couple of
    > spares rattling around in the cupboard.
    >
    > --
    > Nick

  13. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Well, I wouldn't say "no" :)

    hippy

  14. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    I haven't seen that before.

    It's "carbon-look" so it will no doubt be thrice the price of
    plain bar tape..? :)

    I'll have a google for it..

    hippy

  15. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > NickZX6R Wrote:
    >
    >>do you want a black Cinelli bar plug? I've got a couple of
    >>spares rattling around in the cupboard.

    > Well, I wouldn't say "no" :)
    >
    > hippy

    OK. Email me. Take out the garbage first.

    --
    Nick