LV Show?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nartker, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Nartker

    Nartker Guest

    I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at the
    show?

    Nartker @ AOL.com

    Nartker

    Tags:

  2. >I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at
    >the
    > show?

    A lot of scary-looking people. Oh, bike stuff. Mostly more of the same,
    not too much I saw that was new & terribly exciting. Most of the betting
    money was on whether Tyler Hamilton would show up (he did). Lots more
    carbon fiber, no Shimano compact crank, no 10-speed cassettes with a
    larger-than-27-tooth rear cog.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]ojunk says...

    >I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at the
    >show?

    Lots of chopper bikes. Lots of carbon bikes and parts.
    -----------
    Alex

  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > no 10-speed cassettes with a larger-than-27-tooth rear cog

    You should have visited the Campy stand ;-)

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at
    > >the
    > > show?

    > A lot of scary-looking people. Oh, bike stuff. Mostly more of the same,
    > not too much I saw that was new & terribly exciting. Most of the betting
    > money was on whether Tyler Hamilton would show up (he did). Lots more
    > carbon fiber, no Shimano compact crank, no 10-speed cassettes with a
    > larger-than-27-tooth rear cog.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  5. >> no 10-speed cassettes with a larger-than-27-tooth rear cog

    > You should have visited the Campy stand ;-)

    I did. Unless things have changed, sure, you can get a 29, but with a 13 on
    the small end. Ask Campy why and they'll tell you (straight faced, no less)
    that, if you need a 29, the 13 is fine for the smallest cog. Never mind
    that anything requiring a 29 might have an incredible downhill on the other
    side...

    But you're right, at least Campy offers the larger cassette.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  6. Mike-<< Lots more
    carbon fiber, no Shimano compact crank, no 10-speed cassettes with a
    larger-than-27-tooth rear cog. >><BR><BR>

    No DA 10s triple(surprised at that), Also a really silly story as to why
    'rising rate' is a 'better idea' from some shimano droid.

    No Sram 10s chain(altho the PC-89r is the same width as Campagnolo 10s). They
    said they won't make twqo 10s chains(?).

    Sram bought TruVativ...can a Sram MTB group be far behind??

    Eddy Merckx looked thin and fit, his kid was there also.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  7. MikeJ-<< Unless things have changed, sure, you can get a 29, but with a 13 on
    the small end. Ask Campy why and they'll tell you (straight faced, no less)
    that, if you need a 29, the 13 is fine for the smallest cog. Never mind
    that anything requiring a 29 might have an incredible downhill on the other
    side... >><BR><BR>

    C'mon Mike, ya gotta have that 12 instead of a 13? It will make for what kind
    of difference when in the 53 for the middle aged slogs like you and me? I use a
    50/13 as my biggest gear and I NEVER 'spin out'. I'll bet most that say they do
    just think more than 90 rpm is moving their feet way to fast.

    And the compact is SO popular, with a 50t and using that same
    12-23/25/27...kinda makes the 'gotta have the 53/12 argument...moot(s).

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  8. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > No Sram 10s chain(altho the PC-89r is the same width as Campagnolo 10s). They
    > said they won't make twqo 10s chains(?).

    Peter, does the PC-89r work with Campy 10s? Do you recommend it as a
    replacement?

    > Eddy Merckx looked thin and fit, his kid was there also.

    I saw Eddy in Paris this summer and he looked great. He was in our
    hotel lobby and we chatted for a while. He graciously also took a
    picture with me. He couldn't have been friendlier and seemed
    genuinely happy about Lance winning #6. In fact, at the USPS victory
    dinner Sunday night after the TdF, Eddy spoke some very nice words
    about Lance.

  9. > C'mon Mike, ya gotta have that 12 instead of a 13? It will make for what
    > kind
    > of difference when in the 53 for the middle aged slogs like you and me? I
    > use a
    > 50/13 as my biggest gear and I NEVER 'spin out'. I'll bet most that say
    > they do
    > just think more than 90 rpm is moving their feet way to fast.
    >
    > And the compact is SO popular, with a 50t and using that same
    > 12-23/25/27...kinda makes the 'gotta have the 53/12 argument...moot(s).

    Peter: I'm with you. Funny how I was thinking about the 12 vs 13 on this
    morning's ride, on a gradual descent (where speeds of 30+ mph are
    maintainable with a bit of effort). Yes, *I* could live fine with a 13t,
    although right now I wind out in 50/12 at about 44mph.

    But are your customers different from mine? Most come in thinking they need
    an ELEVEN!!! And these are guys that would probably be pushing an 11/53 at
    maybe 22mph and thinking that a higher gear is what they need to go faster.

    But let's be practical (why? I dunno, just seems appropriate) and say that,
    if we're gonna have 10 cogs, what's the big deal offering a 12-tooth for the
    small? It's not like you're giving much up; you & I probably grew up with 5
    in the back, after all!

    But that "middle aged slog" remark- good thing you're trained as a fighter
    jock or I'd have to come after you for that one! :>)

    Did you make it to Las Vegas? One of these days we'll cross paths.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MikeJ-<< Unless things have changed, sure, you can get a 29, but with a 13
    > on
    > the small end. Ask Campy why and they'll tell you (straight faced, no
    > less)
    > that, if you need a 29, the 13 is fine for the smallest cog. Never mind
    > that anything requiring a 29 might have an incredible downhill on the
    > other
    > side... >><BR><BR>
    >
    > C'mon Mike, ya gotta have that 12 instead of a 13? It will make for what
    > kind
    > of difference when in the 53 for the middle aged slogs like you and me? I
    > use a
    > 50/13 as my biggest gear and I NEVER 'spin out'. I'll bet most that say
    > they do
    > just think more than 90 rpm is moving their feet way to fast.
    >
    > And the compact is SO popular, with a 50t and using that same
    > 12-23/25/27...kinda makes the 'gotta have the 53/12 argument...moot(s).
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  10. > Eddy Merckx looked thin and fit, his kid was there also.

    I was talking with my staff about that one this morning. How'd you like to
    be known as "Eddy Merckx's kid?" Ouch! I can't imagine a tougher
    comparison for a kid to have to make with his dad's legacy. Axel must be
    one tough guy to have chosen the path he has.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

  11. > I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week.
    > Wht did you see at the show?

    I'm usually in Las Vegas *every* week, but last week I had to go to The
    Gouvernator Ahhnold's Callie-Phone-Yuh, so I didn't see nuthin' ...

  12. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected]ojunk (Nartker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at the
    > > show?
    > >

    > See for yourself: http://www.interbike.com/interbike/index.jsp
    > http://velonews.com/news/fea/7069.0.html
    > http://velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7070.0.html