LV Show?

Nartker

Guest
I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at the
show?

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

>I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at
>the
> show?

A lot of scary-looking people. Oh, bike stuff. Mostly more of the same,
not too much I saw that was new & terribly exciting. Most of the betting
money was on whether Tyler Hamilton would show up (he did). Lots more
carbon fiber, no Shimano compact crank, no 10-speed cassettes with a
larger-than-27-tooth rear cog.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> no 10-speed cassettes with a larger-than-27-tooth rear cog

You should have visited the Campy stand ;-)

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at
> >the
> > show?

> A lot of scary-looking people. Oh, bike stuff. Mostly more of the same,
> not too much I saw that was new & terribly exciting. Most of the betting
> money was on whether Tyler Hamilton would show up (he did). Lots more
> carbon fiber, no Shimano compact crank, no 10-speed cassettes with a
> larger-than-27-tooth rear cog.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

>> no 10-speed cassettes with a larger-than-27-tooth rear cog
>
> You should have visited the Campy stand ;-)

I did. Unless things have changed, sure, you can get a 29, but with a 13 on
the small end. Ask Campy why and they'll tell you (straight faced, no less)
that, if you need a 29, the 13 is fine for the smallest cog. Never mind
that anything requiring a 29 might have an incredible downhill on the other
side...

But you're right, at least Campy offers the larger cassette.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike-<< Lots more
carbon fiber, no Shimano compact crank, no 10-speed cassettes with a
larger-than-27-tooth rear cog. >><BR><BR>

No DA 10s triple(surprised at that), Also a really silly story as to why
'rising rate' is a 'better idea' from some shimano droid.

No Sram 10s chain(altho the PC-89r is the same width as Campagnolo 10s). They
said they won't make twqo 10s chains(?).

Sram bought TruVativ...can a Sram MTB group be far behind??

Eddy Merckx looked thin and fit, his kid was there also.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

MikeJ-<< Unless things have changed, sure, you can get a 29, but with a 13 on
the small end. Ask Campy why and they'll tell you (straight faced, no less)
that, if you need a 29, the 13 is fine for the smallest cog. Never mind
that anything requiring a 29 might have an incredible downhill on the other
side... >><BR><BR>

C'mon Mike, ya gotta have that 12 instead of a 13? It will make for what kind
of difference when in the 53 for the middle aged slogs like you and me? I use a
50/13 as my biggest gear and I NEVER 'spin out'. I'll bet most that say they do
just think more than 90 rpm is moving their feet way to fast.

And the compact is SO popular, with a 50t and using that same
12-23/25/27...kinda makes the 'gotta have the 53/12 argument...moot(s).

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> No Sram 10s chain(altho the PC-89r is the same width as Campagnolo 10s). They
> said they won't make twqo 10s chains(?).

Peter, does the PC-89r work with Campy 10s? Do you recommend it as a
replacement?

> Eddy Merckx looked thin and fit, his kid was there also.

I saw Eddy in Paris this summer and he looked great. He was in our
hotel lobby and we chatted for a while. He graciously also took a
picture with me. He couldn't have been friendlier and seemed
genuinely happy about Lance winning #6. In fact, at the USPS victory
dinner Sunday night after the TdF, Eddy spoke some very nice words
about Lance.

> C'mon Mike, ya gotta have that 12 instead of a 13? It will make for what
> kind
> of difference when in the 53 for the middle aged slogs like you and me? I
> use a
> 50/13 as my biggest gear and I NEVER 'spin out'. I'll bet most that say
> they do
> just think more than 90 rpm is moving their feet way to fast.
>
> And the compact is SO popular, with a 50t and using that same
> 12-23/25/27...kinda makes the 'gotta have the 53/12 argument...moot(s).

Peter: I'm with you. Funny how I was thinking about the 12 vs 13 on this
morning's ride, on a gradual descent (where speeds of 30+ mph are
maintainable with a bit of effort). Yes, *I* could live fine with a 13t,
although right now I wind out in 50/12 at about 44mph.

But are your customers different from mine? Most come in thinking they need
an ELEVEN!!! And these are guys that would probably be pushing an 11/53 at
maybe 22mph and thinking that a higher gear is what they need to go faster.

But let's be practical (why? I dunno, just seems appropriate) and say that,
if we're gonna have 10 cogs, what's the big deal offering a 12-tooth for the
small? It's not like you're giving much up; you & I probably grew up with 5
in the back, after all!

But that "middle aged slog" remark- good thing you're trained as a fighter
jock or I'd have to come after you for that one! :>)

Did you make it to Las Vegas? One of these days we'll cross paths.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MikeJ-<< Unless things have changed, sure, you can get a 29, but with a 13
> on
> the small end. Ask Campy why and they'll tell you (straight faced, no
> less)
> that, if you need a 29, the 13 is fine for the smallest cog. Never mind
> that anything requiring a 29 might have an incredible downhill on the
> other
> side... >><BR><BR>
>
> C'mon Mike, ya gotta have that 12 instead of a 13? It will make for what
> kind
> of difference when in the 53 for the middle aged slogs like you and me? I
> use a
> 50/13 as my biggest gear and I NEVER 'spin out'. I'll bet most that say
> they do
> just think more than 90 rpm is moving their feet way to fast.
>
> And the compact is SO popular, with a 50t and using that same
> 12-23/25/27...kinda makes the 'gotta have the 53/12 argument...moot(s).
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> Eddy Merckx looked thin and fit, his kid was there also.

I was talking with my staff about that one this morning. How'd you like to
be known as "Eddy Merckx's kid?" Ouch! I can't imagine a tougher
comparison for a kid to have to make with his dad's legacy. Axel must be
one tough guy to have chosen the path he has.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

> I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week.
> Wht did you see at the show?

I'm usually in Las Vegas *every* week, but last week I had to go to The
Gouvernator Ahhnold's Callie-Phone-Yuh, so I didn't see nuthin' ...

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected]ojunk (Nartker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I know all you bike geeks were in Las Vegas last week. Wht did you see at the
> > show?
> >

> See for yourself: http://www.interbike.com/interbike/index.jsp
> http://velonews.com/news/fea/7069.0.html
> http://velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7070.0.html